Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How prone are you to making grammatical errors?

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_
    It is very rare for someone to speak and write with perfect grammar all the time. If I met someone that did,
    Maria. lololol.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_
    their shits all retarded.

I like how Melyssa goes from saying she "OCDs over perfect grammar" and rarely makes mistakes... but then switches to claiming that she's "lax" with her grammar in most situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I like how Melyssa goes from saying she "OCDs over perfect grammar" and rarely makes mistakes... but then switches to claiming that she's "lax" with her grammar in most situations.
    You would understand what I mean if you read any of my in-depth scientific research topics. I sound like a completely different person.
    Hmm, grammar was not the right term. I should have said vocabulary and the way I word things, as well as my sentence structure.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    By the way, what you wrote now sounds pretty natural to me. ^,^
    Well, thanks
    So did you enjoy studying German? Honestly I think it's one of the hardest languages to study - besides Latin that is. French, Spanish and Italian are way easier as far as I'm concerned.
    Another thing that happens to me from time to time is that I mix up vocabulary i.e. I turn certain Spanish vocabulary into French or certain French vocabulary into English etc. and I tend to mix up BE and AE too.
    The usage of grammar and the right spelling also depend on what and when you are writing. On the internet people (including myself ) often don't pay that much attention to grammar and spelling ... if talking to someone it depends. I have problems finding the right words sometimes so I might actually use 'Um ...' a lot too. The usage of proper English punctuation is another one of my weak points.
    But all in all I guess I can make myself understood so ... it's all good.

I have ridiculously terrible spelling and grammar when I use my phone, unfortunately I post almost exclusively from that now days. I guess I could change that, but I don't typically have the time to proof read if I am posting from my phone, and I'm not that bothered by it either way. I certainly do not have perfect grammar, or even close to perfect, but a lot of my 'mistakes' are intentional. I use not real words a lot and feel like I use way more commas than any person should, then again, I'm not to up to date on grammatical rules, so I'm not entirely sure. I think I spell most words correctly and generally keep stuff like to, too, two, and you, your, you're straight. I believe Allison mentioned it, I always say 'Thomas' house' 'Thomas's house' looks so fucking weird and wrong to me, I believe I even do it with a name like Prince, when speaking and in writing.

So, how do people feel about the oxford comma?
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    Well, thanks
    So did you enjoy studying German? Honestly I think it's one of the hardest languages to study - besides Latin that is. French, Spanish and Italian are way easier as far as I'm concerned.
    Another thing that happens to me from time to time is that I mix up vocabulary i.e. I turn certain Spanish vocabulary into French or certain French vocabulary into English etc. and I tend to mix up BE and AE too.
    The usage of grammar and the right spelling also depend on what and when you are writing. On the internet people (including myself ) often don't pay that much attention to grammar and spelling ... if talking to someone it depends. I have problems finding the right words sometimes so I might actually use 'Um ...' a lot too. The usage of proper English punctuation is another one of my weak points.
    I picked up the German vocabulary extremely quickly and easily. Learning to conjugate verbs and the modal verbs took a bit of practice and everyone had trouble pluralizing nouns because there are four (right?) different ways to do it with no concrete rules or patterns.
    I know what you mean. And I meant it's a crime using uhh's and stuff in public speeches. In everyday speech, it's perfectly acceptable unless you incorporate "like" into every phrase. See? I began a sentence with "and" and I don't give a shit. XP
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I have ridiculously terrible spelling and grammar when I use my phone, unfortunately I post almost exclusively from that now days. I guess I could change that, but I don't typically have the time to proof read if I am posting from my phone, and I'm not that bothered by it either way. I certainly do not have perfect grammar, or even close to perfect, but a lot of my 'mistakes' are intentional. I use not real words a lot and feel like I use way more commas than any person should, then again, I'm not to up to date on grammatical rules, so I'm not entirely sure. I think I spell most words correctly and generally keep stuff like to, too, two, and you, your, you're straight. I believe Allison mentioned it, I always say 'Thomas' house' 'Thomas's house' looks so fucking weird and wrong to me, I believe I even do it with a name like Prince, when speaking and in writing.

Oh, trust me, there are many times when it is appropriate, and grammatically correct, to use a lot of commas. It depends on the point you are trying to emphasize and all kinds of technical crap like that.

I picked up the German vocabulary extremely quickly and easily. Learning to conjugate verbs and the modal verbs took a bit of practice and everyone had trouble pluralizing nouns because there are four (right?) different ways to do it with no concrete rules or patterns.
    I know what you mean. And I meant it's a crime using uhh's and stuff in public speeches. In everyday speech, it's perfectly acceptable unless you incorporate "like" into every phrase. See? I began a sentence with "and" and I don't give a shit. XP
    Yep, German grammar ain't easy at all and if German wasn't my mother tongue I guess I would not have chosen to study it
    But do you want to know what's (at least for me) worse than typos or wrong grammar?
    This

Energy Commissioner Günther H. Oettinger (European Commission) Yikes! So wrong ...

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    Well, thanks
    German only seems difficult (for an English speaker, of course - it'd be a lot harder for someone who speaks an Asian language, for example) until one attempts to learn a Slavic language. Ich spreche fließend Deutsch, und ich fand es schwer in Gymnazium... aber jetzt wohne ich in Slowenien, und ich war zwei Jahren in die Tschechischen Republik. Diese zwei Sprachen sind VIEL schwerer als Deutsch! German has four cases; Slovene has 6 cases; Czech has 7 cases. Slovene also has a dual - not just "du" (ti) or "ihr" (vi), but also (vidva), which is like, the two of you. And that also changes depending on gender. Also, in German the gender of the noun affects the noun and the adjective, but in Slavic languages, it also affects the verb. And the person's gender also affects it. So a guy saying "I drink" has different conjugation of "drink" than a girl saying it.

German is easy peasy compared to this Slavic shit

You would understand what I mean if you read any of my in-depth scientific research topics. I sound like a completely different person.
    Hmm, grammar was not the right term. I should have said vocabulary and the way I word things, as well as my sentence structure.
    You posted one once. It read like an academic paper. That's simply called adjusting register. Most normal people do that. I do, as well. Anyway, if that's all you meant, you make a lot more mistakes than you think in everyday life. :P

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I'm a strong believer in it. I see no point in not using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Its a movie quote, Cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

*The only people I know who've got better grammar than I do are non-native speakers who've finished master's degrees or PhDs in English pedagogy. Native speakers almost always have worse grammar than non-natives with such education, which seems a bit counterintuitive.
    I disagree. Someone who lives in a culture is surrounded by much more casual usage of the language and it rubs off on them, whereas someone whose only real exposure to it is from classes is a lot more likely to be proper. This is not just the case with English, I'd wager.