Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How prone are you to making grammatical errors?

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    German only seems difficult (for an English speaker, of course - it'd be a lot harder for someone who speaks an Asian language, for example) until one attempts to learn a Slavic language. Ich spreche fließend Deutsch, und ich fand es schwer in Gymnazium... aber jetzt wohne ich in Slowenien, und ich war zwei Jahren in die Tschechischen Republik. Diese zwei Sprachen sind VIEL schwerer als Deutsch! German has four cases; Slovene has 6 cases; Czech has 7 cases. Slovene also has a dual - not just "du" (ti) or "ihr" (vi), but also (vidva), which is like, the two of you. And that also changes depending on gender. Also, in German the gender of the noun affects the noun and the adjective, but in Slavic languages, it also affects the verb. And the person's gender also affects it. So a guy saying "I drink" has different conjugation of "drink" than a girl saying it.

German is easy peasy compared to this Slavic shit
    This I didn't know I can only compare German to English, French, Spanish, Italian and the little Latin I studied. So no Slavic language for me. Your German is really good BTW

No, it's not.

Edit: It's better than Samseby's google translator skills.
    Last edited by Offspring-Junkie; 12-08-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    This I didn't know I can only compare German to English, French, Spanish, Italian and the little Latin I studied. So no Slavic language for me. Your German is really good BTW
    Yeah, if you compare learning German to learning any Latin language, German is really hard And thanks, but I'm TERRIBLY out of practice. I used to be level C1 in the CEF, but nowadays I'm probably B1. I have very few opportunities to use my German these days (I use it when I'm in Austria, and when some parents of my students don't speak English, since most older people here are more likely to speak German than English), but otherwise, it's almost never So I've lost a TON of my grammar and especially vocabulary. It also doesn't help that while I'm NOT using my German, I'm busy learning Slovene... so Slovene in many ways is starting to replace German, since I encounter it on a daily basis. Your English is really good, though. Woher kommst du?

And thanks for trying to insult my German, Junkie; if you learned how to use conditionals and the difference between separating clauses and full sentences, I might take your feedback more seriously.
    Last edited by Llamas; 12-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

And thanks for trying to insult my German, Junkie; if you learned how to use conditionals and the difference between separating clauses and full sentences, I might take your feedback more seriously.
    I guess your German is good, but you made obvious mistakes any native German speaker would have seen at first sight.
    und ich fand es schwer in Gymnazium... aber jetzt wohne ich in Slowenien, und ich war zwei Jahren in die Tschechischen Republik.
    ...und ich fand es schwer im Gymnasium... aber jetzt wohne ich in Slowenien und war zwei Jahre (it's Plural without "n") in der Tschechischen Republik.

I do believe that you were good and still are good in German, but I was trying to give you guys a hint about Samseby. "She" doesn't know a single word German. You can test "her". Any native speaker would have seen this mistakes easily. But I guess "she's" not native blah, blah, because [insert random excuse].

I did learn German in school, but more importantly I grew up with it. I can't tell you the rules when to use "Jahre" or "Jahren" because it's both plural. If you use "vor Jahren" (years before) or "in den Jahren" (in the years of/between) you use the plural with "n". Don't ask me why, I'm not sure if they taught us in school, I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    I guess your German is good, but you made obvious mistakes any native German speaker would have seen at first sight.
    ...I'm not a native speaker, and never learned German very extensively. I learned it in high school, and then in college I had to write my papers and read books in German. In the last 3.5 years, I've had almost NO exposure to the language. I know I make tons of mistakes, but I doubt there are many people who aren't native speakers of German and don't live in a German-speaking country but utilize German at an amazing level.

I do believe that you were good and still are good in German, but I was trying to give you guys a hint about Samseby. "She" doesn't know a single word German. You can test "her". Any native speaker would have seen this mistakes easily. But I guess "she's" not native blah, blah, because [insert random excuse].
    Wtf? I'm sure Samseby noticed the mistakes. Just because she didn't point them all out and instead was positive (I'm the same way with people here who speak English with me - I don't correct all their mistakes, and instead reassure them that their English is good and that I understand them.)

I can correct your mistakes in English, too.

...und ich fand es schwer im Gymnasium... aber jetzt wohne ich in Slowenien und war zwei Jahre (it's plural without "n") in der Tschechischen Republik.

I do believe that you were good and are still good in German, but I was trying to give you guys a hint about Samseby. "She" doesn't know a single word German. You can test "her". Any native speaker would have seen these mistakes easily. But I guess "she's" not native blah, blah, because [insert random excuse].

I did learn German in school, but more importantly I grew up with it. I can't tell you the rules regarding when to use "Jahre" or "Jahren" because both are plural. If you use "vor Jahren" (years before) or "in den Jahren" (in the years of/between), you use the plural with "n". Don't ask me why. I'm not sure if they taught us in school - I don't think so.

See, but there was no point in that. You make mistakes, but your English is good. I understand you just fine, and that's what's important. So why couldn't I just simply tell you your English is good? Why would that imply that I'm not a native speaker of English?
    Last edited by Llamas; 12-09-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Does anyone here share my irritation with people who confuse "lose" and "loose"?
    Your back's to the wall, that's protocol;
    It's sequestering your spirit, misleading us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles

Pretty rarely; especially if i'm doing something for school or work, or stuff like emails.

On occasion you'll find a slip up on say a bbs or other message board post; though i suppose that's the case for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    Ouch!
    http://www.offspring.com/community/s...urg-Stadtpark-
    Ziemlich dumm gelaufen, würde ich mal sagen ...
    Next time before opting to call someone a liar better do your homework properly!

...I'm not a native speaker, and never learned German very extensively. I learned it in high school, and then in college I had to write my papers and read books in German. In the last 3.5 years, I've had almost NO exposure to the language. I know I make tons of mistakes, but I doubt there are many people who aren't native speakers of German and don't live in a German-speaking country but utilize German at an amazing level.

Wtf? I'm sure Samseby noticed the mistakes. Just because she didn't point them all out and instead was positive (I'm the same way with people here who speak English with me - I don't correct all their mistakes, and instead reassure them that their English is good and that I understand them.)

I can correct your mistakes in English, too.

See, but there was no point in that. You make mistakes, but your English is good. I understand you just fine, and that's what's important. So why couldn't I just simply tell you your English is good? Why would that imply that I'm not a native speaker of English?
    If you see someone post two sentences and the second one is obviously completely wrong, would consider replying "Your English is good?"

Quote Originally Posted by samseby View Post
    Ouch!
    http://www.offspring.com/community/s...urg-Stadtpark-
    Ziemlich dumm gelaufen, würde ich mal sagen ...
    Next time before opting to call someone a liar better do your homework properly!
    Schieb dir deine Hausaufgaben sonstwo hin!