Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How prone are you to making grammatical errors?

Default Question

Do you mind if users are having alternative accounts?
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

In regards of the English language, I have a problem with prepositions. In English, there are no rules for prepositions, you just have to learn them. I find it very annoying, although it has its historical reasons.

Another thing I sometimes have an issue with, is subject-verb agreement. If I write in a hurry, I could say something like "The things I learnt is good" instead of "the things I learnt are good". The reason for this is that in my native language, we don't have subject agreement in that sense as the verb never changes in relation to the subject. It is "I are, you are, he are, we are".
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by Offspring-Junkie View Post
    Do you mind if users are having alternative accounts?
    I asked this 3 days ago.

Is nothing going on here, don't you care or am I unwanted?

Is somebody maybe scared of me?

May I have to start a new thread because it's off topic?

A mod replied to me that it's against the rules. Are you aware of it? Do you know why?
    Do you think you‘d sell your soul
    To just have one thing to turn out right?

If you see someone post two sentences and the second one is obviously completely wrong, would consider replying "Your English is good?"
    If someone who has very little exposure to a language makes mistakes that do not impede understanding (using the wrong article gender, or pluralizing something that's already plural, does not impede understanding), yes, I would say that person uses the language well. If somebody from Africa with little exposure to English said, "Fishes you made for dinner is delicious," I would tell them their English is good - I understood exactly what they were saying, and the missing article, mis-pluralization of "fish", and subject-verb disagreement are small mistakes that don't cause a problem. Good thing you're not a language teacher; your students would get depressed and give up hope of learning. :P

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    In regards of the English language, I have a problem with prepositions. In English, there are no rules for prepositions, you just have to learn them. I find it very annoying, although it has its historical reasons.

Another thing I sometimes have an issue with, is subject-verb agreement. If I write in a hurry, I could say something like "The things I learnt is good" instead of "the things I learnt are good". The reason for this is that in my native language, we don't have subject agreement in that sense as the verb never changes in relation to the subject. It is "I are, you are, he are, we are".
    English has just as many rules for prepositions as any other language - basically, there are quite a few rules rules, but there are also a bunch of exceptions that require one to just memorize and get used to it. All four languages I know prepositions in have the same level of rules - and prepositions just flat out suck in every language when you're trying to learn it. Try learning a Slavic language and suddenly English prepositions will seem easy because they're much more similar to Germanic
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I asked this 3 days ago.

Is nothing going on here, don't you care or am I unwanted?

Is somebody maybe scared of me?

May I have to start a new thread because it's off topic?

A mod replied to me that it's against the rules. Are you aware of it? Do you know why?
    When you post something off-topic in a thread like this, moderators are less likely to see it, which might explain why no one gave you an answer and not that someone is "scared" of you. When you have a question about the rules, it's a good idea to post a new thread in the Offspring.com Talk thread.

As one of the moderators who created the rule against multiple accounts, it's to discourage the amount of trolling and sockpuppeting that people do here and give the moderators a way to keep that nonsense under control. You might want to try asking the moderator who PMed you for more information in the future.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    English has just as many rules for prepositions as any other language - basically, there are quite a few rules rules, but there are also a bunch of exceptions that require one to just memorize and get used to it. All four languages I know prepositions in have the same level of rules - and prepositions just flat out suck in every language when you're trying to learn it. Try learning a Slavic language and suddenly English prepositions will seem easy because they're much more similar to Germanic
    Yeah, I didn't want to make the generalising statement that every language is like that, because I have limited knowledge of languages beyond Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English and Spanish, but I have suspected that it is like that in most languages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post

...and "it are." XP
    Yeah, English is tough in some ways. And plurals change the forms of verbs, too, like in "the cat has" and "the cats have."
    I said, "Hi, I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete took of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    Full version of my avatar: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9ddf577a.jpg
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    And plurals change the forms of verbs, too, like in "the cat has" and "the cats have."
    Actually, the plural just puts the verb back in its base form, the infinitive; therefore, the plural never changes the verb (the only exception is with "to be"). Only 3rd person singular needs verb conjugation - and that's actually one of the easier things about English, considering verb conjugation is typically MUCH more complicated in other languages.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Actually, the plural just puts the verb back in its base form, the infinitive; therefore, the plural never changes the verb (the only exception is with "to be"). Only 3rd person singular needs verb conjugation - and that's actually one of the easier things about English, considering verb conjugation is typically MUCH more complicated in other languages.
    I mean it changes the spelling, not the verb itself. Yeah, conjugating verbs in German takes practice and memorization, and you have to be very conscious of modal verbs.
    I said, "Hi, I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete took of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    Full version of my avatar: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9ddf577a.jpg
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I mean it changes the spelling, not the verb itself. Yeah, conjugating verbs in German takes practice and memorization, and you have to be very conscious of modal verbs.
    No, it really doesn't change the spelling. Look.

Verb: to have

I have
    You (informal singular) have
    He/she/it [the cat] has
    We have
    They [the cats] have
    You (formal/plural) have

Verb: to do

I do
    You (informal singular) do
    He/she/it [the cat] does
    We do
    They [the cats] do
    You (formal/plural) do

The ONLY way the verb's spelling changes (aka, the verb is conjugated) is when you're using third person singular. Pluralization does NOT change the spelling of the verb; like nearly ever other case, it is infinitive.

Compare it to a language like Slovene

Verb: to do (delati)

Jaz delam
    Ti delaš
    On/ona/oni dela
    Mi/me delamo
    Vi/ve/vi delate
    Oni/one/ona delajo

Unlike in Germanic languages, German and English, the verb conjugates so that it is never the infinitive... which is ridiculous. English conjugation is EASY, and in German you still have things like "wir machen, sie machen, Sie machen" - all three of those are infinitive, which is fabulous.

Edit: by the way, RageandLov, are you saying that in Norwegian, there's NO verb conjugation whatsoever and you just use the infinitive all the time?? Cause that's kinda awesome.
    Last edited by Llamas; 12-16-2012 at 04:57 AM.