Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Democracy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default Democracy

    What do you think of democracy? What is the best kind of democracy? Does your country employ it, does some other country? Or have no society reached the best kind of democracy imaginable yet? Please keep it in realistic terms, do not describe a utopian democracy and then conclude that such a society is impossible to achieve. What is the best kind of democracy that is realistically achievable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    The best democracy is that which is in America.
    That being said, we are moving for from it. Soon, the best democracies might be in Africa. In my opinion, France also has a nice democracy, except that the government people are all sexist. I think the UK has a terrible "democracy." Totally obscene.
    I don't know much about Nordic democracy. Perhaps you could educate me?
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    The best democracy is that which is in America.
    That being said, we are moving for from it. Soon, the best democracies might be in Africa. In my opinion, France also has a nice democracy, except that the government people are all sexist. I think the UK has a terrible "democracy." Totally obscene.
    I don't know much about Nordic democracy. Perhaps you could educate me?
    Why does the US have the best democracy? And how can you at the same time say that the UK has a terrible democracy? The two systems are very close as both are First Past the Post systems, only needing a plurality in order to have a majority in the parliament.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,091


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    The best democracy is that which is in America.
    That being said, we are moving for from it. Soon, the best democracies might be in Africa. In my opinion, France also has a nice democracy, except that the government people are all sexist. I think the UK has a terrible "democracy." Totally obscene.
    I don't know much about Nordic democracy. Perhaps you could educate me?
    Lololol, so if the US supposedly moves away from democracy (though it's NEVER been all that much of a true democracy), the next best democracies are in Africa, which aren't democracies at all? You couldn't make less sense.

    And Rage is right - the UK's system is VERY similar to the US's. But I guess the fact that you didn't explain your views whatsoever shows that your statements are groundless.

    Personally, I think some European countries have something closer to democracy than the US does. Our electoral voting system keeps us quite far from actual democracy. However, every European country also has tons of corruption in politics, and basically two main parties that are the most likely to get the vote at any point, and therefore have power and can deal together. No country in the world actually has democracy, in my opinion. It's possible, but very unlikely to ever happen in this day and age.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Personally, I think some European countries have something closer to democracy than the US does. Our electoral voting system keeps us quite far from actual democracy. However, every European country also has tons of corruption in politics, and basically two main parties that are the most likely to get the vote at any point, and therefore have power and can deal together. No country in the world actually has democracy, in my opinion. It's possible, but very unlikely to ever happen in this day and age.
    And by "democracy" do you mean the original meaning of the word, as in direct democracy? Direct democracy is of course when everyone votes for issues and legislations, instead of voting for who should vote for you as we have today in representative democracy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg/The GTA
    Posts
    5,784


    Default

    I'm rather partial to Westminster style parliamentary democracy. Allows for multiple parties, but tends to keep things from getting too deadlocked.

    Though admittedly I do hold mixed feelings towards first past the post: on an ideological level it would seem better to have proportional representation or a single-transferable vote system in place - but FPP seems to be fairly efficient and maintains direct local representation (which admittedly i don't really care about all that much - but it can be quite important to certain regions like those in rural areas).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,091


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    And by "democracy" do you mean the original meaning of the word, as in direct democracy? Direct democracy is of course when everyone votes for issues and legislations, instead of voting for who should vote for you as we have today in representative democracy.
    My comment covers direct democracy, as well, but I'm speaking more generally. Fortunately, most (all?) western countries do treat citizens equally in terms of voting - equal weight for all. Personally, I believe strongly in liberal democracy, but that doesn't seem to be even a consideration. I just don't think our political leaders actually give us the democracy they say they give us. Slovenia is an extreme example, but a year ago, the nation voted very strongly in favor of the Positive Slovenia party... but the country put the Slovenian Democrat Party in place because the former failed to assemble a cabinet in time. This supposedly a democratic country...

    And then we get into protection for minorities, which actually goes against true democracy, but I believe it to be extremely important. So maybe the question is, do we WANT true democracy? I mean, I am pro-democracy, absolutely... but I think empowering minorities a bit is important.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,166


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    The best democracy is that which is in America.
    That being said, we are moving for from it. Soon, the best democracies might be in Africa. In my opinion, France also has a nice democracy, except that the government people are all sexist. I think the UK has a terrible "democracy." Totally obscene.
    I don't know much about Nordic democracy. Perhaps you could educate me?
    Wait... This is completely weird.

    You say US is the best democracy and then you quote France ?

    I thought that France was always refered to by politicians as a socialist country where the government has too much power ? I read an article about this a few years ago but can't remember where or when exactly... it was probably before Obama's election though...

    Anyway, to me, to be in a real democracy, all the people who vote should have enough to live correctly and be educated to be able who their leader should be.

    Therefore, I don't think true democracy can exist without true communism.

    And true communism cannot exist without wealth. Which is more easily created by capitalism...

    Complicated subject really.
    ___________________________________________

    All the Beautiful Things you do

    Respect my authoritah !

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    Let me clear y'all's shot with me.
    I say the US has the best because I just think so. France is good cuz it's like the US with more parties. I say that SOON Africa will have good democracies. Better?
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    13,832


    Default

    Obligatory post to say that the United States employs a representative republic form of governance and is democratic in nature but isn't a true democracy.

    And France is totes socialist.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •