Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Santa is irrational

Default Santa is irrational

Believing in Santa is detrimental to the development of a child's rational thinking abilities. If a child is made to believe that Santa functions outside the laws of science, they are likely to create other explanations for various phenomena that aren't based in science. This hampers their rational thinking capabilities.

The Santa lie must end.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Okay, I can't begin to tell you all the things that are wrong with what you just said. Children don't understand the laws of science, anyway, so why shouldn't we let them believe in Santa? Imaginations are important to the development of children's brains. They have a lot of fun with it and a lot to look forward to. Why would you want to take that away from them? They eventually stop believing anyway, so what's the harm? It makes parents so happy to see the wonder in their children's eyes on Christmas morning. You are a heartless bastard if you want to take Santa away from the children.

By the way, whoever said the tale of Santa was supposed to be rational?
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "bighead384
    Believing in Santa is detrimental to the development of a child's rational thinking abilities. If a child is made to believe that Santa functions outside the laws of science, they are likely to create other explanations for various phenomena that aren't based in science. This hampers their rational thinking capabilities.

The Santa lie must end.
    Whatever you say, Spock.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    You are a heartless bastard if you want to take Santa away from the children.
    I mean, I agree that imagination is healthy for children to have, but this is a little too strong. I know plenty of parents who have made the decision to not make Santa a part of their children's upbringing, and to make Christmas more about the family. I might do it myself when I have kids. The only thing that would hold me back, actually, is worrying that my kids will run around telling other kids that Santa isn't real, and subsequently getting angry phone calls from other parents. But I'm uncomfortable putting myself in a position where I would later have to tell my kids that something I told them myself, something that I chose to raise them on, was a lie. Imagination is good, but kids imagine plenty on their own. My 3-year old cousin dresses up and pretends to be Spiderman. No one told him to do that; he just likes Spiderman.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Bighead put it in such an assy way, I didn't care how my reply to him sounded.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    I mean, I agree that imagination is healthy for children to have, but this is a little too strong. I know plenty of parents who have made the decision to not make Santa a part of their children's upbringing, and to make Christmas more about the family. [...] The only thing that would hold me back, actually, is worrying that my kids will run around telling other kids that Santa isn't real, and subsequently getting angry phone calls from other parents. But I'm uncomfortable putting myself in a position where I would later have to tell my kids that something I told them myself, something that I chose to raise them on, was a lie. Imagination is good, but kids imagine plenty on their own.
    Agreed But I don't care that much about other parents to be honest
    My ten year old nephew believed in Santa/the Christkind till last year because his parents wanted him to ... bunch of other kids "enlightened" him and I'm pretty sure had a good laugh on him (he still doesn't know the facts of life though).
    The lie didn't work for me long ... When I was a kid I was going to get a doll's house for Christmas - must have been around 3 or 4 years old - I saw it in my Mum's room before she could wrap it so there was no telling me stories about Santa (or the Christkind) afterwards but still I was pretty disappointed that my Mum tried to convince me otherwise ...
    And yeah, Christmas should be more about family (and Christmas fairs and glühwein and roasted almonds ) than about presents and Santa/the Christkind.

I say let kids discover the truth on their own. I did. I figured it out myself because I was finally old enough to stay up late enough. Never hurt me one bit. Let the kids be; they'll be alright.

I've always been torn on the Santa issue. On the one hand, I feel like it's a pointless betrayal of the trust of your children --- if you lie to them about something as silly and trivial as this, what else have you lied to them about, they might think --- but on the other hand, this can be a good basis on which to instill the virtue of skepticism and critical thinking; let them learn on their own that Santa isn't real, and why. They can learn not to absolutely trust anyone or anything. Of course, that can backfire by making them paranoid.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I've always been torn on the Santa issue. On the one hand, I feel like it's a pointless betrayal of the trust of your children --- if you lie to them about something as silly and trivial as this, what else have you lied to them about, they might think --- but on the other hand, this can be a good basis on which to instill the virtue of skepticism and critical thinking; let them learn on their own that Santa isn't real, and why. They can learn not to absolutely trust anyone or anything. Of course, that can backfire by making them paranoid.
    I agree with the first sentiment. When I found out santa wasn't real, I became very angry with my mother for having lied to me. I asked her how she can teach me not to lie when she'd lied all this time? About santa... the tooth fairy... the easter bunny... I was angry. Perhaps 80% of kids are fine when they find out, but I'd rather not risk my kid thinking it's okay to lie. And I think your other idea could very likely lead to paranoia in some kids. I just don't see a point in the santa myth. It's not worth it to me. It's like getting enjoyment out of how stupid and gullible kids are. Kinda bugs me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I never believed in Santa or the Toothfairy, even though my parents told me they existed. Ironically I believed in a god, but that belief vanished because of the same reasons I didn't believe in Santa or the Toothfairy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Yeah, I meant to bring up the issue of the tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, and other religious figures. I know the tooth fairy isn't a religious figure, I meant others that are. You start picking apart Santa, then you start picking apart others, and where does it end, with God?

I don't believe in any religion, I'm just saying that kids that believe in Santa believe he is as real as some people believe God is.