Thread: The Ixnay album cover artwork is perhaps fitting for 12-21-12 Mayan Apocalypse Day...

Default The Ixnay album cover artwork is perhaps fitting for 12-21-12 Mayan Apocalypse Day...

Well, it has a Mexican "Day of the Dead" theme, and "Ixnay on the Hombre" is supposedly talking about the 60s radical/hippie bogeyman "The Man" (a ridiculous, nondescript concept that only highlights most of them were too far out of their minds to know what they were supposedly fighting against). Offspring have been quoted way back when as saying it means "Fuck the man" or something like that. If you look at the lyrics to "Pay The Man" (perhaps written and/or recorded during the Ixnay writing/recording period?), it would seem the sentiment may be more about dismissing the concept of "The Man", though ultimately humanity may control you as you try to be free - or at least there is a struggle.

As far as the 2012 Mayan Apocalypse theme goes, there are some things that are notable, even if only coincidence. The sun is central in the picture, with the words encircling it. It looks like one of those Mayan pyramids. "Ixnay on the Hombre" could also be perceived as "The End of Man (human beings)". And of course, there's the Mayan-Mexican connection, and the Mayans were a bit obsessed with death (sacrifices) and the end of the world and all that crap. Maybe the artist was conscious of that, or maybe it just turned out that way. Maybe you could say "The Man", mankind, and Mayan Calendar theories are all pretty fragile and exist as little bits of order in the chaos? LOL

I am not saying I believe in any of this stuff, but I wore my Ixnay shirt today when I saw it and noticed the parallels. Great album.

Pay The Man was indeed recorded (or at least written) for Ixnay originally. It didn't fit in I guess, so they were holding on to it and decided to put it on Americana.

As far as the rest, you're looking into it way too much. The band always had a connection with the whole Mexican vibe, and in English 'Ixnay' is used as slang or pig Latin. Ixnay On The Hombre can be translated to "Down with the Man", which of course is open to different interpretations.

And aside from that, there is no Mayan Apocalypse day. There is a Mayan Calender that ends today. And there's crazy people who made up a story about the end of the world using that calender as an excuse. Two completely different things.
    * !

Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Pay The Man was indeed recorded (or at least written) for Ixnay originally. It didn't fit in I guess, so they were holding on to it and decided to put it on Americana.

As far as the rest, you're looking into it way too much. The band always had a connection with the whole Mexican vibe, and in English 'Ixnay' is used as slang or pig Latin. Ixnay On The Hombre can be translated to "Down with the Man", which of course is open to different interpretations.

And aside from that, there is no Mayan Apocalypse day. There is a Mayan Calender that ends today. And there's crazy people who made up a story about the end of the world using that calender as an excuse. Two completely different things.

Just noticing parallels that may be coincidence or may not, but I think it's kind of cool and adds something to the interpretation of the artwork. "Pay The Man" is "stoner rock", so it's okay to really give it its due... It's deep, Man!

Yep, it's piglatin, and it rhymes. Perhaps a bit open to misinterpretation, too. I was calling today "Mayan Apocalypse Day" as a joke, but maybe that's how we should refer to it if the world doesn't end. A way to remember the media event. The more honest experts would probably say they don't know what it means - but it could be (mis?)interpreted as THE END. So that's part of why it's spooky. That, mixed with their crazy sacrifice culture. "A Mexican Fiesta" comes to mind Some have said they think it is just where the calendar starts over. Especially given all the coverage this date has had for the reason of apocalyptic theories, I think it should be okay to have some fun with it.

*Giggles*