Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limbaugh: "Left Mobilizes to Politicize School Shooting"

Hybrid View

Default Limbaugh: "Left Mobilizes to Politicize School Shooting"

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...chool_shooting

Is there no difference between "politicizing the shooting" and being inspired by a tragic event to propose a solution that involves more gun control laws? Are gun control advocates really just using this tragedy to "advance their agenda" ?And honestly, is it really just "their" agenda if they're proposing a policy that they believe would benefit everyone? That makes it sound like pushing for gun control is some sort of selfish endeavor. These are the sort of purely manipulative talking points that I can't stand being embraced by any large segment of society. It's an attempt to silence gun control advocates.

Also, I like the hastiness and insincerity of the first 3 or 4 sentences of this transcript. He's SO anxious to get that "let me respond as a human being with feelings" shit out of the damn way before he makes HIS political points.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

A situation.
    Joe beats his girlfriend, then shoots her with a Glock 18. Glock 18s are banned.
    Mike beats his girlfriend, and then shoots her with a crossbow. Crossbows are banned.
    Tom beats his girlfriend, and kills her with an axe. Axes are banned.
    Fitz beats his girlfriend, and then kills her with contaminated peanut butter. Peanuts are banned.
    Jovan kills his girlfriend with a chair. Chairs are banned.
    Tyson eats his girlfriend. Teeth are banned.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

I have somewhat mixed feelings towards gun control. Used to be pretty heavily in favor of it: then i stopped caring as much: though with the recent string of mass shootings i've suppose im back somewhere along the middle. I wouldn't want to restrict access to most types of firearms (other than say, assault rifles) though i wouldn't mind reasonable amounts of regulations surrounding the purchase of said guns and i'm certainly not a fan of any open or concealed carry legislation.

Still, i hate when you hear something like "now is not the time to talk about politics/the issue" - its the perfect fucking time to talk about these things regardless of where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    A situation.
    Joe beats his girlfriend, then shoots her with a Glock 18. Glock 18s are banned.
    Mike beats his girlfriend, and then shoots her with a crossbow. Crossbows are banned.
    Tom beats his girlfriend, and kills her with an axe. Axes are banned.
    Fitz beats his girlfriend, and then kills her with contaminated peanut butter. Peanuts are banned.
    Jovan kills his girlfriend with a chair. Chairs are banned.
    Tyson eats his girlfriend. Teeth are banned.
    Increasing gun control regulations is not the same thing as banning guns - ie you need a license and insurance coverage to own and drive a car.

Not to mention, I can't remember the last time somebody used peanut butter to kill 20 children in a single morning.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 12-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

there was a shooting at a mall near me today

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...183661531.html

No matter how you look at guns or gun control (whatever side of that argument you are on), remember one thing:

You cannot regulate sanity or responsiblity.

First of all, I will never understand why anyone takes a damn thing that Rush Limbaugh says seriously.

Second of all, I basically agree with bighead. It's the perfect time to talk about gun control and gun violence. Otherwise everyone's gonna forget about it and it's going to continue to be way way down at the bottom of politicians' priority list like it currently is. I think our current gun laws, or lack thereof, are absurd. The ease with which any rando can go to a gun show or pawn shop and pick up a gun (like the Va Tech shooter did) is inexcusable. The lack of regulations on securing legally purchased guns, which enabled Adam Lanza to use his mother's guns, is also inexcusable. Like jacknife, I'm uncertain whether I'd go as far as to support an all-out firearm ban, but my basic stance right now is that it can't do any harm whatsoever right now to increase restrictions on who can buy a firearm. Why? Because the US has the most lenient gun laws AND some of the highest violent crime rates out of all developed countries. It literally can't get any worse than it is (at least to the degree where you could directly blame the violence on policy), so we might as well try something different.

I'm also going to add that I'm a bit sick of seeing all of these pissing contests of "compassion" on Facebook, which is best exemplified by that fake Morgan Freeman quote that everyone has seen by now. I appreciate that people have genuine feelings for the victims, especially those with kids of their own, but it doesn't do anyone any good to memorize all of their names and life stories. The media is not "making a celebrity" out of Adam Lanza. Of course we should be focusing on the gunman. The guy obviously had a lot of issues, and regardless of our gun laws, it could well be that the guy just needed one more person in his life to alleviate the mental health issues he was obviously experiencing. I will flat-out admit that I'm far more likely to click on a news article about Adam Lanza than I am on one about an adorable little girl who was killed. I'm extremely interested in Adam Lanza, and I don't appreciate people trying to make me feel guilty, as though I were making a hero out of him, for feeling that way. The bottom line is that Adam Lanza's mental health was the single most solvable variable out of this whole episode. Learning about abnormal psychology and how mass killers' minds work is the single best thing that the average citizen can do about this.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 12-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Regarding this mad focus on health care...

For one, people are talking about it as though the US is abnormal in this regard. I'm pretty sure that NO country has easy, socialized access to mental health care. Universal health care provides basic (life or death, infections, broken bones... things like that) care to the public. Mental health is not included. In fact, psychiatrists and the like are generally viewed more positively in the US than in most countries. There is LESS of a stigma against it in the US.

Second of all (and perhaps more importantly), even if it WAS public, nobody can force someone to seek psychiatric help against their will, and 99% of these types of psycho and sociopaths won't seek help no matter what. Perhaps it could be identified in children, but once they reach adult age, they're adults and that's the end. Furthermore, there are a a shitload of awful parents out there - many with unwanted children - who could/would never identify something like this in their child... and there are even more parents who would never be able to admit it to a point of taking their kid to get help.

While mental health care definitely should be improved, it is not the answer here. Regulating and limiting guns is the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Regarding this mad focus on health care...

For one, people are talking about it as though the US is abnormal in this regard. I'm pretty sure that NO country has easy, socialized access to mental health care. Universal health care provides basic (life or death, infections, broken bones... things like that) care to the public. Mental health is not included. In fact, psychiatrists and the like are generally viewed more positively in the US than in most countries. There is LESS of a stigma against it in the US.

Second of all (and perhaps more importantly), even if it WAS public, nobody can force someone to seek psychiatric help against their will, and 99% of these types of psycho and sociopaths won't seek help no matter what. Perhaps it could be identified in children, but once they reach adult age, they're adults and that's the end. Furthermore, there are a a shitload of awful parents out there - many with unwanted children - who could/would never identify something like this in their child... and there are even more parents who would never be able to admit it to a point of taking their kid to get help.

While mental health care definitely should be improved, it is not the answer here. Regulating and limiting guns is the answer.
    There you go!

Ban parenthood.

Or at least severely regulate it. Ultimately, the common denominator in all these events is that the assailant is someones fucking kid!

You can argue all around your point, but you cannot explain how regulating and limiting guns could possibly work. Conservative estimates guess there are 200-400 million privately owned firearms in the US.

Gun buy backs? 1-the fed is broke 2-tried and failed in cities

Confiscation? That would go over well.

Again drugs are already illegal, with harsh penalties, and it really isn't all that hard to get drugs. So you really think a law will stop, or even curb these events?

I could almost agree with you on the violent games, ALMOST, but the fact is, in a FREE society, you will have violence, and some of these violent events will be big.

You actually inadvertently nailed it. The problems stem from how we raise our children, the values we instill (and emulate) in them, the way we treat victim-hood, the way we cover these events in the news, and the value we attach to celebrities.

I shudder at the thought of how many will give up on freedom, however small a part, for the slightest inkling of security.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Or you could think outside the box and have the government use the guns to shoot the mentals. Problem doublesolved.

Yeah..throw the 2nd Amendment, that seems a bit drastic. Plus, it simply will never happen. You can rationalize why this abortion to humanity did this sickening act all you want. Add law upon law to theoretically stop it ain't the cure. This cretin broke between 30-40 laws just committing this crime, so adding more gun laws seems pointless and about as logical as writing love letters to Charles Manson. Until these sick fucks begin to value of their own self worth as well as other another human life, all bets are off. All the laws in the world won't stop plain old bat shit stupid crazy.