Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Limbaugh: "Left Mobilizes to Politicize School Shooting"

Default Limbaugh: "Left Mobilizes to Politicize School Shooting"

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...chool_shooting

Is there no difference between "politicizing the shooting" and being inspired by a tragic event to propose a solution that involves more gun control laws? Are gun control advocates really just using this tragedy to "advance their agenda" ?And honestly, is it really just "their" agenda if they're proposing a policy that they believe would benefit everyone? That makes it sound like pushing for gun control is some sort of selfish endeavor. These are the sort of purely manipulative talking points that I can't stand being embraced by any large segment of society. It's an attempt to silence gun control advocates.

Also, I like the hastiness and insincerity of the first 3 or 4 sentences of this transcript. He's SO anxious to get that "let me respond as a human being with feelings" shit out of the damn way before he makes HIS political points.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

A situation.
    Joe beats his girlfriend, then shoots her with a Glock 18. Glock 18s are banned.
    Mike beats his girlfriend, and then shoots her with a crossbow. Crossbows are banned.
    Tom beats his girlfriend, and kills her with an axe. Axes are banned.
    Fitz beats his girlfriend, and then kills her with contaminated peanut butter. Peanuts are banned.
    Jovan kills his girlfriend with a chair. Chairs are banned.
    Tyson eats his girlfriend. Teeth are banned.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

I have somewhat mixed feelings towards gun control. Used to be pretty heavily in favor of it: then i stopped caring as much: though with the recent string of mass shootings i've suppose im back somewhere along the middle. I wouldn't want to restrict access to most types of firearms (other than say, assault rifles) though i wouldn't mind reasonable amounts of regulations surrounding the purchase of said guns and i'm certainly not a fan of any open or concealed carry legislation.

Still, i hate when you hear something like "now is not the time to talk about politics/the issue" - its the perfect fucking time to talk about these things regardless of where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    A situation.
    Joe beats his girlfriend, then shoots her with a Glock 18. Glock 18s are banned.
    Mike beats his girlfriend, and then shoots her with a crossbow. Crossbows are banned.
    Tom beats his girlfriend, and kills her with an axe. Axes are banned.
    Fitz beats his girlfriend, and then kills her with contaminated peanut butter. Peanuts are banned.
    Jovan kills his girlfriend with a chair. Chairs are banned.
    Tyson eats his girlfriend. Teeth are banned.
    Increasing gun control regulations is not the same thing as banning guns - ie you need a license and insurance coverage to own and drive a car.

Not to mention, I can't remember the last time somebody used peanut butter to kill 20 children in a single morning.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 12-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

there was a shooting at a mall near me today

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...183661531.html

No matter how you look at guns or gun control (whatever side of that argument you are on), remember one thing:

You cannot regulate sanity or responsiblity.

First of all, I will never understand why anyone takes a damn thing that Rush Limbaugh says seriously.

Second of all, I basically agree with bighead. It's the perfect time to talk about gun control and gun violence. Otherwise everyone's gonna forget about it and it's going to continue to be way way down at the bottom of politicians' priority list like it currently is. I think our current gun laws, or lack thereof, are absurd. The ease with which any rando can go to a gun show or pawn shop and pick up a gun (like the Va Tech shooter did) is inexcusable. The lack of regulations on securing legally purchased guns, which enabled Adam Lanza to use his mother's guns, is also inexcusable. Like jacknife, I'm uncertain whether I'd go as far as to support an all-out firearm ban, but my basic stance right now is that it can't do any harm whatsoever right now to increase restrictions on who can buy a firearm. Why? Because the US has the most lenient gun laws AND some of the highest violent crime rates out of all developed countries. It literally can't get any worse than it is (at least to the degree where you could directly blame the violence on policy), so we might as well try something different.

I'm also going to add that I'm a bit sick of seeing all of these pissing contests of "compassion" on Facebook, which is best exemplified by that fake Morgan Freeman quote that everyone has seen by now. I appreciate that people have genuine feelings for the victims, especially those with kids of their own, but it doesn't do anyone any good to memorize all of their names and life stories. The media is not "making a celebrity" out of Adam Lanza. Of course we should be focusing on the gunman. The guy obviously had a lot of issues, and regardless of our gun laws, it could well be that the guy just needed one more person in his life to alleviate the mental health issues he was obviously experiencing. I will flat-out admit that I'm far more likely to click on a news article about Adam Lanza than I am on one about an adorable little girl who was killed. I'm extremely interested in Adam Lanza, and I don't appreciate people trying to make me feel guilty, as though I were making a hero out of him, for feeling that way. The bottom line is that Adam Lanza's mental health was the single most solvable variable out of this whole episode. Learning about abnormal psychology and how mass killers' minds work is the single best thing that the average citizen can do about this.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 12-16-2012 at 03:05 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Limbaugh is an ass.

As far as gun control laws, I am not so quick to give up any rights, especially when there are so many examples of bans that have no effect whatsoever. Why not ban homicidal behavior instead?

Private gun ownership in China is forbidden, so instead they have school knife attacks, like the on Dec 14, where 22 or 23 people were knifed.

Norway has fairly strict gun laws, didn't help in Oslo.

Does anyone really believe that banning a certain type of gun will have any effect other than making people feel better because they did something?

Drug are illegal, is it really that hard to find drugs? And what has the war on drugs done, cost billions of dollars in direct costs, and loaded our prisons with pot smokers?! Not to mention fueled violence, in our, and other countries.

”If we restrict liberty to attain security we will lose them both.”

Quote Originally Posted by bronc_28 View Post
    As far as gun control laws, I am not so quick to give up any rights, especially when there are so many examples of bans that have no effect whatsoever.
    So how about we make drugs legal, since bans obviously do no good?

Private gun ownership in China is forbidden, so instead they have school knife attacks, like the on Dec 14, where 22 or 23 people were knifed.
    And how many lives were lost in the knife attack vs the gun attack?

Norway has fairly strict gun laws, didn't help in Oslo.
    And how many times do countries with strict gun laws like Norway get gun attacks vs countries like America with lax gun laws?

Drug are illegal, is it really that hard to find drugs? And what has the war on drugs done, cost billions of dollars in direct costs, and loaded our prisons with pot smokers?! Not to mention fueled violence, in our, and other countries.
    So like I said, let's make drugs legal. I'm sure the number of deaths from drugs would totally be the same, right?

Let's also make hand grenades legal, and allow everyone to buy them, because hand grenades don't kill people; people kill people. We should also unban homicide, because making it illegal doesn't stop people from doing it. It should be legal to kill people.

For the record, I don't support a gun ban. I just think your arguments suck.
    Last edited by Llamas; 12-16-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    So how about we make drugs legal, since bans obviously do no good?

And how many lives were lost in the knife attack vs the gun attack?

And how many times do countries with strict gun laws like Norway get gun attacks vs countries like America with lax gun laws?

So like I said, let's make drugs legal. I'm sure the number of deaths from drugs would totally be the same, right?

Let's also make hand grenades legal, and allow everyone to buy them, because hand grenades don't kill people; people kill people. We should also unban homicide, because making it illegal doesn't stop people from doing it. It should be legal to kill people.

For the record, I don't support a gun ban. I just think your arguments suck.
    How about this,

Columbine happened during the "Assault weapons ban"

Virginia Tech- the assailant used handguns that were fully legal during the Ban

My point is you can't un-invent guns, and shy of that, any action taken will just be to make people feel better. I don't think people should be willing to fritter away rights to make people feel better.

And yes, an argument can be made for the legalization of some drugs, however, that is an issue for states, not Fed.

They should put a ban or some controls on these stupid friggin assault video games. It case you hadn't noticed, there are more than a few people in this country that have a hard time discerning fantasy from reality. These games do a shit ton of damage de-sensitizing people to life and death.