Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
Y'know, so far jackknife's the only one who's actually stated what he thinks is reasonable gun control. Every other asshole with an opinion is just screaming for MOAR CONTROL or MOAR GUNS! Only the lunatic fringe would ever argue that citizens should have the right to freely purchase any weapon they feel like, and only the lunatic fringe would ever argue that citizens should have absolutely no access to firearms under any circumstances.
I don't think anyone here has flat-out cried for MOAR CONTROL. And I, for one, have started typing out some of my specific ideas on gun control a few times now, but I always stop, because this is the answer you always get:

Add law upon law to theoretically stop it ain't the
cure.
Nobody wants to add laws on laws just for the fuck of it, dude. You know that. It's about making the RIGHT laws. And as far as I know, it has never been illegal to own an assault weapon here. It was illegal to manufacture them from something like 1994 to 2004.

Anyway, my broad views on gun control are exactly that of Jackknife's broad views. Until very recently, I was pro-heavy gun rights, staunchly pro-concealed carry. I'm swinging in the other direction in a major way, but I can see both sides of the issue. Here are some of my thoughts, based on nothing. I am not an expert on the issue.

First of all, an out-right ban on assault weapons. There's no reason to have them. Outside of those, I don't have a big problem with the types of guns allowed.

There should be a background check/some kind of check for mental health for every gun purchase. So that means no gun shows, no online purchases, no transactions between "private collectors".

I don't think people should be able to buy guns for other people, possibly unless he/she has been previously approved for a firearm.

"Straw purchases" are the most common way people get their hands on guns illegally. That is, a person with no criminal record buys a gun for a felon who is not legally allowed to have one. They are hard to prove, but even when it is obvious, people barely get charged, or they get a slap on the wrist. Purchasers should be required to keep a record of guns they buy, and report lost or stolen guns within a determined period of time. That way, if a crime gun is traced back to them, they can better prove their innocence. There should be stricter penalties against straw purchasers.

It is relatively simple for legit gun dealers to traffic weapons. About 60% of crime guns are traced back 1.2% of dealers, most of them "missing" guns that were actually sold off the books. An NRA-funded congress makes it increasingly harder to shut down corrupt dealers.

The ATF is incredibly restricted in its ability to enforce laws ans disseminate information to local law enforcement and the public.

I'm tired of listing shit. I'm not saying all of this has to be done, but it should all be addressed. Because right now, there is almost no discourse going on about guns. Main reason in my opinion, Citizens United. As long as the NRA is allowed to influence legislation, we won't see any significant changes. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though.