Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rap doesn't age well

Default Rap doesn't age well

It seems to me that generally speaking, rap doesn't age well. The one exception being the late 80s early 90s era, but in my mind, that's different because that was the era that basically started rap as we know it. Artists from that era were actually pioneers. But since then, there aren't that many rap artists from 10+ years ago that are looked back at fondly (unless of course, they're still active and popular today). There may be the exception here or there, but it happens much less often in rap than in other genres. With rock music, entire subgenres from decades past are listened to and loved just as much as the fans that existed during that era. And to be honest, I think the reason is that rap songs often have less things about them that really grab you as something you'd want to hold on to for years.

PS: If anything could make JohnnyNemesis start posting again, it would be this thread.
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-20-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    It seems to me that generally speaking, rap doesn't age well. The one exception being the late 80s early 90s era, but in my mind, that's different because that was the era that basically started rap as we know it. Artists from that era were actually pioneers. But since then, there aren't that many rap artists from 10+ years ago that are looked back at fondly (unless of course, they're still active and popular today). There may be the exception here or there, but it happens much less often in rap than in other genres. With rock music, entire subgenres from decades past are listened to and loved just as much as the fans that existed during that era. And to be honest, I think the reason is that rap songs often have less things about them that really grab you as something you'd want to hold on to for years.
    I don't really know if this is the case. Rap tends to take very contemporary themes into the songs, while a lot of rock genres may deal with a lot of abstract nearly-meaningless subjects. If rappers are rapping about how bad Bush Sr. is, they are not very relevant for today, while rockers might sing about the love over the mountains that you felt in your heart, that is relevant as long as humans are in existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    I don't really know if this is the case. Rap tends to take very contemporary themes into the songs, while a lot of rock genres may deal with a lot of abstract nearly-meaningless subjects. If rappers are rapping about how bad Bush Sr. is, they are not very relevant for today, while rockers might sing about the love over the mountains that you felt in your heart, that is relevant as long as humans are in existence.
    That might be something to take into account, but to be honest, it's kind of a stretch to think that fully or even mostly explains it. It's not as if there's some terrible stigma attached to otherwise good songs that have outdated subject matter.

Big City Liberals and their allies love defending rap from guys like me. I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten many replies.
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-20-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    That might be something to take into account, but to be honest, it's kind of a stretch to think that fully or even mostly explains it. It's not as if there's some terrible stigma attached to otherwise good songs that have outdated subject matter.

Big City Liberals and their allies love defending rap from guys like me. I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten many replies.
    Why drag politics into this? =/

Anyway, the only rap I enjoy is from the 80s, and 90s (basically the early form like you said).

Although I do enjoy the rap mixed with rock (Zebrahead, and Bloodhound Gang are two examples).

I don't really care what music "ages well" because I like what I like. However, "10+ years ago" was basically the 90s. Anyway, I really like some of the popular rap hits from the early 2000's, like Shake it Fast, and a bunch of songs from Nelly and Ludacris. I dunno when Busta Rhymes was popular, but he had some really good ones, as well. Oh, and fricken' Outkast! They were awesome. Eminem, Jay Z, Snoop Dogg, Atmosphere, The Roots, Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, Brother Ali, are and were active in other decades, so I guess they're not included for some reason.

Oh, and Nas and Mos Def were pretty good. And Jurassic 5!! I dunno... I dunno if rap "ages well" overall, but I personally enjoy a lot of rap from the early 2000s and late 90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

The one & only TUPAC. He's hella fine but his lyrics are what did it for me. I wish he'd be making more music. RIP.

7. Default

Honestly, I feel like it's exactly the opposite. Then again, I have fond memories of playing Sega Genesis with my favorite uncle while '90s gangsta rap blasted in the background, so I might be a little biased.

Wow. I mean, no disrespect to you guys or anything, but I can't stand rap or hip hop. The only rap I can tolerate is Eminem, because it's actually original and funny, it's not just about cars, bling bling, gold teeth, bitches, smokin weed, blah blah blah that every single rapper "sings" about. It's a joke. Turn on any popular radio station in your community and guaranteed within ten minutes you will want to die. It's all autotuned, with no passion, no heart, no talent, generic dime a dozen garbage, I can't tell any of the songs apart! They all sound exactly the same to me. Again, sorry for being rude, I don't mean to disrespect anyone who likes rap, if you like rap, that's cool. I have friends who like rap, I have family members who like rap.. I just personally cannot stand the sound of it.

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck
    If it's good enough for you

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Voorhees View Post
    Wow. I mean, no disrespect to you guys or anything, but I can't stand rap or hip hop. The only rap I can tolerate is Eminem, because it's actually original and funny, it's not just about cars, bling bling, gold teeth, bitches, smokin weed, blah blah blah that every single rapper "sings" about. It's a joke. Turn on any popular radio station in your community and guaranteed within ten minutes you will want to die. It's all autotuned, with no passion, no heart, no talent, generic dime a dozen garbage, I can't tell any of the songs apart! They all sound exactly the same to me. Again, sorry for being rude, I don't mean to disrespect anyone who likes rap, if you like rap, that's cool. I have friends who like rap, I have family members who like rap.. I just personally cannot stand the sound of it.
    You're not looking very hard if you think all rap is about cars, bling bling, gold teeth, bitches, smoking weed, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEwHJX95QE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22l1sf5JZD0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mAMH5S6VA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl5OovFrYzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO18F4aKGzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcoT7dYtUMk

I could go on and on, but that should be enough for now. None of those songs are about anything close to what you mentioned. Some are political, others are life commentary, and so on. At least four of them use no autotune or anything like that, and two of those rappers very often use live instrumentation. Don't judge an entire genre when you've only heard the biggest hits on the radio. Most of the biggest rock hits are about sex and drugs, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by prettyflyforablackchick View Post
    Honestly, I feel like it's exactly the opposite. Then again, I'm black, so I might be a little biased.
    Yeah, I can see how you would think that. lol.

Anyway, that sounds like it's just a bit of nostalgia attached to a few songs rather than an observation about the whole genre.