Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rap doesn't age well

Haven't I seen you post some stuff along the lines of how you dislike hip-hop in general? How can it age well if you don't like it in the first place?
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Haven't I seen you post some stuff along the lines of how you dislike hip-hop in general? How can it age well if you don't like it in the first place?
    Exactly. How does someone who doesn't like rap know if it ages well? That's like saying, "I hate wine and don't drink it, but dry Rieslings do not age well."
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Easy. Because you can judge others connection to the music. Between people I know personally, and music critics, magazines/tv, no one cares to revisit about 97% of once popular rap that's around 10+ years old. For example, when you go to bar or you're driving around in your friend's car, do you hear anyone playing say, the 2nd most popular single from a rap album that was moderately successful in 2001? No, cause' no one gives a shit about that anymore. There isn't even a niche for it, or some nostalgic value. Again, there's always the exception, and I'm not about to do a research study here, but to me, it's a pretty obvious thing.
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-11-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Easy. Because you can judge others connection to the music. Between people I know personally, and music critics, magazines/tv, no one cares to revisit about 97% of once popular rap that's around 10+ years old. For example, when you go to bar or you're driving around in your friend's car, do you hear anyone playing say, the 2nd most popular single from a rap album that was moderately successful in 2001? No, cause' no one gives a shit about that anymore. There isn't even a niche for it, or some nostalgic value. Again, there's always the exception, and I'm not about to do a research study here, but to me, it's a pretty obvious thing.
    When "old" rap songs come on at the bar me and my friends are all out there dancing and just loving it. When "new" rap songs come on it all depends on what song it is and if we like it we will go out and dance. Our favorite "new" song to dance to is the Cupid Shuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    When "old" rap songs come on at the bar me and my friends are all out there dancing and just loving it. When "new" rap songs come on it all depends on what song it is and if we like it we will go out and dance. Our favorite "new" song to dance to is the Cupid Shuffle.
    Well, like I said, there are some exceptions. "Party Up" by DMX is one of my favorite throwbacks to surprise people with. But I would still say that generally speaking, what I've said is true.

You don't really hear the second most popular single from a pop or rock album from 2002, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    You don't really hear the second most popular single from a pop or rock album from 2002, either.
    Not true. These groups started with commercial or critical success around year 2001, declined, but are still respected as worthwhile listens or throwbacks:

Chevelle, Tacking Back Sunday, Coheed and Cambria, Unwritten Law, AFI, Alien Ant Farm, Andrew WK, Jimmy Eat World, Queens of the Stone Age, Thursday, The Used.

Can't really think of equivalent situations with rap. Just seems like everyone forgets about the singles and albums. Even rap fans.
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-12-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Not true. These groups started with commercial or critical success around year 2001, declined, but are still respected as worthwhile listens or throwbacks:

Chevelle, Tacking Back Sunday, Coheed and Cambria, Unwritten Law, AFI, Alien Ant Farm, Andrew WK, Jimmy Eat World, Queens of the Stone Age, Thursday, The Used.

Can't really think of equivalent situations with rap. Just seems like everyone forgets about the singles and albums. Even rap fans.
    Apparently you don't know many mainstream rap fans. Ludacris, Nelly, Outkast, Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, Lil Wayne, DMX, and Dr Dre are all examples of rappers who got their first big success around the year 2001, declined, but are still respected as worthwhile listens or throwbacks. This is probably the least informed discussion you've attempted on this bbs.

Seriously, Party Up (In Here) goes along nicely with The Next episode and Forgot About Dre, Hot in Here and Country Grammar and Ride Wit Me, Hey Ya and Miss Jackson and The Way You Move and Roses, Roll Out and Move Bitch and What's Your Fantasy... etc, etc... they're all rap hits from that time period which people listen to as good throwbacks and positive memories. In fact, I might throw on that Ludacris album later.
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-12-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    Apparently you don't know many mainstream rap fans. Ludacris, Nelly, Outkast, Lil Kim, Missy Elliot, Lil Wayne, DMX, and Dr Dre are all examples of rappers who got their first big success around the year 2001, declined, but are still respected as worthwhile listens or throwbacks. This is probably the least informed discussion you've attempted on this bbs.
    Dr. Dre is a rap legend, he doesn't belong on this list. Lil Wayne was popular VERY recently and kind of still is. And I never hear Nelly songs, I don't know where you get that. Furthermore, the albums that made these artists popular aren't really respected. Instead of trying to zero in on the few exceptions, why don't you just admit that it's true?

Lol, you're hopeless. No wonder you don't have any decent friends.