Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Department of Justice to HSBC: You are too rich and important to charge criminally

Default Department of Justice to HSBC: You are too rich and important to charge criminally

Anybody else read up on this? HSBC was *directly involved* in financing (and profiting off of) illegal transactions between drug lords and foreign terrorists, and the US government knew about it, so they investigated....and their conclusion? They won't prosecute, because it might cause HSBC to lose their banking license, which could have "destabilized the entire banking system." In other words, they're too rich and important to the economy to punish for violating international law, the Trading With The Enemy Act. I'm not even kidding; that's in the official statement from the US Justice Department:

"Had the US authorities decided to press criminal charges, HSBC would almost certainly have lost its banking licence in the US, the future of the institution would have been under threat and the entire banking system would have been destabilised.

"HSBC, Britain's biggest bank, said it was 'profoundly sorry' for what it called 'past mistakes' that allowed terrorists and narcotics traffickers to move billions around the financial system and circumvent US banking laws. . . .

"As part of the deal, HSBC has undertaken a five-year agreement with the US department of justice under which it will install an independent monitor to assess reformed internal controls. The bank's top executives will defer part of their bonuses for the whole of the five-year period, while bonuses have been clawed back from a number of former and current executives, including those in the US directly involved at the time."
    Oh, but rest assured, they're profoundly sorry for all of that. Apparently not "sorry" enough to not do it in the first place, but....well, you know. Thoughts?
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Wow. That's sad.
    We should sue their balls off in court. It's not like these were just dudes who then turned terrorist. They were terrorists. Seems a bit fucked up and NYC-styled to use their clout to avoid charges. Well, bring down the whole banking system, I say. It'll teach the banks that they can't fuck with our laws. It's too fucking bad that the government and the President in particular are in bed with the big banks, churning out love child after love child in the form of regulations that appease people, but are never enforced.
    Furthermore, I'd like to see that law either thrown out, or enforced across the board. When the government starts picking winners and losers like here, then they choose for the banks to win and the people to lose.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Can't say I'm surprised that they weren't charged... ah, America - the place where banks and corporations get to do whatever they want because they have ultimate control over everyone and everything. Fucked up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Am I so cynical that I don't even really mind about this?

Heh. When I first heard about it I pretty much gave a big "meh". I get that it should be infuriating, the craziness of the world just puts me in a state of "more power to 'em if that can get away with it" sometimes. Schmeh.

Am I so cynical that I don't even really mind about this?

Heh. When I first heard about it I pretty much gave a big "meh". I get that it should be infuriating, the craziness of the world just puts me in a state of "more power to 'em if that can get away with it" sometimes. Schmeh.
    I honestly don't understand this mentality. Yeah, there's a lot of bad stuff going on in the world today, and I can understand feeling jaded. But honestly, why would you feel the need to encourage this sort of thing? "More power to 'em if they can get away with it?" It really baffles me. I mean, things are bad enough as they are. Why would you want it to get worse?

It's amazing to me how quickly people give up on life and society.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Because there's jack anyone can do about it, short of doing the wrong thing yourself and trying to force change through intimidation and acts of terror?

If you're talking moral high ground, then yeah, there's nothing to be done that won't drag you into the gutter with them.

Because there's jack anyone can do about it, short of doing the wrong thing yourself and trying to force change through intimidation and acts of terror?

If you're talking moral high ground, then yeah, there's nothing to be done that won't drag you into the gutter with them.
    There's nothing wrong with admitting that there's nothing you or I can do about it. However, that's different from saying, "More power to 'em if they can get away with it." I just thought it was a weird thing to say --- like, "Well, I can't fix this, so might as well encourage it more."
    "I'm sorry
    "

Not sure where you're really getting any support for it from me. Just that, hey, when it comes down to it the world's far more about who has the power and who doesn't than right from wrong, so if they're able to seize it, it sucks, but whatever, they're just "playing the game" and having success at it. Doesn't bother me like it would have years ago.

Not sure where you're really getting any support for it from me.
    If you weren't trying to express support for what they did, then perhaps "power to 'em if they can get away with it" was a poor choice of words. It literally means, "I wish power to them, if they can get away with it."
    "I'm sorry
    "

Condescending dickwad, much?

The implication was more, while I think it's scummy, it's the way the world works. If they can get away with it, they're just playing the Big Chess Game better than the rest of us. I find that hard to get up in arms about. Just 'cause a lot of us have a moral code, doesn't mean everyone does.