Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santa is irrational

Wow, some of you people have real issues. And by real issues, I mean you're more than just a little bit baked in the brain. Of course you let them believe in Santa, it won't hurt them. And when they find out he isn't real someday...so what? If this harms your kid, your kid is going to be maladjusted for reasons I won't even begin to explore. Santa is cool. It's that simple. Santa teaches kids that maybe, just maybe, somebody is watching you and maybe you should be nice. Anyone who is/was/will be/or even considers this an act of betrayal, is a fucking nut looking for something to blame their own issues on. Issues that ain't related to Sannnnny Clause.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Wow, some of you people have real issues. And by real issues, I mean you're more than just a little bit baked in the brain. Of course you let them believe in Santa, it won't hurt them. And when they find out he isn't real someday...so what? If this harms your kid, your kid is going to be maladjusted for reasons I won't even begin to explore. Santa is cool. It's that simple. Santa teaches kids that maybe, just maybe, somebody is watching you and maybe you should be nice. Anyone who is/was/will be/or even considers this an act of betrayal, is a fucking nut looking for something to blame their own issues on. Issues that ain't related to Sannnnny Clause.
    That's basically what I was trying to say, but I haven't had enough practice being an ass. Thanks for doing it for me.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

This was a joke. I really don't get how you guys missed it. The last sentence takes the cake. I mean who could say "The Santa lie must end" with a straight face.

Then again, psychology is an exceedingly complicated thing, so it's not impossible that believing in Santa could have some small negative effect. But it's nothing to focus on, or speak about in this manner of seriousness. lol.
    Last edited by bighead384; 12-26-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    That's basically what I was trying to say, but I haven't had enough practice being an ass. Thanks for doing it for me.
    Not a problem. My pleasure...seriously. Watch and learn my dear.

I read your OP as kind of tongue and cheek. Some took it way too seriously and actually believe Santa is a bad thing possibly. I say Santa rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    This was a joke. I really don't get how you guys missed it. The last sentence takes the cake. I mean who could say "The Santa lie must end" with a straight face.
    Because it was YOU who said it! Am I right, people? Bighead, it's hard to tell when you are being serious and when you are kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Not a problem. My pleasure...seriously. Watch and learn my dear.
    Thank you. I shall.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Sorry, Bighead. We can't see if you're laughing behind the computer screen.

The Santa truth must continue!
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Because it was YOU who said it! Am I right, people? Bighead, it's hard to tell when you are being serious and when you are kidding.

Haha exactly what I was thinking. I thought that line made it even more bighead-like.

I'm not sure about the Santa issue...I mean, I loved to think Santa was real, it s exciting and made Christmas really magical, but when I found out I was quite angry that I'd been lied to by parents, teachers, everyone.

I'm torn on the issue of telling my own children one day. I would love to make Christmas amazing for them, but at the same time I don't think I could keep up the whole act.

But I don't plan on having kids, so guess I'm sorted there!

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post

Then again, psychology is an exceedingly complicated thing, so it's not impossible that believing in Santa could have some small negative effect. But it's nothing to focus on, or speak about in this manner of seriousness. lol.
    "How to kill an otherwise interesting thread 101"

(1) Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but "cool" is kind of a meaningless term to me. Where I come from, we have this saying that "cool" is a word you should use to describe a beverage or the weather, not a person or an idea. It's basically an illusion. If I'm going to lie to my children, it's going to be for a good reason or it's not going to happen.

(2) An ethical framework is a much more useful method of morality than a fear- or reward-based monitoring system. If I were teaching my kids about how to behave, I would want them to have a reason to behave even when nobody is watching; otherwise you're not really teaching your children ethics, you're teaching them to put on a mask in order to get something out of it. We have another saying where I come from, that "Morality is what you do when nobody is looking." That includes Santa Clauses, gods, and whomever or whatever else.

It's no surprise to me that the more hardline religious communities have come to believe that, without god, there can be no morality --- the entire "someone might be watching you" brand of morality doesn't get to the true heart of the matter (what you are inside your head), and it doesn't teach you to do things for real ethical reasons; it teaches you to put on a disguise and do what you think will satisfy who- or whatever is watching you. So if you live your entire life based on satisfying a figure like Santa Claus or god, whom you believe to be watching you, and you suddenly cease believing in that figure one day, then it's not surprising if your ethical framework radically changes. That's probably the biggest ethical danger that concerns me about things like this.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    (1) Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but "cool" is kind of a meaningless term to me. Where I come from, we have this saying that "cool" is a word you should use to describe a beverage or the weather, not a person or an idea. It's basically an illusion. If I'm going to lie to my children, it's going to be for a good reason or it's not going to happen.

(2) An ethical framework is a much more useful method of morality than a fear- or reward-based monitoring system. If I were teaching my kids about how to behave, I would want them to have a reason to behave even when nobody is watching; otherwise you're not really teaching your children ethics, you're teaching them to put on a mask in order to get something out of it. We have another saying where I come from, that "Morality is what you do when nobody is looking." That includes Santa Clauses, gods, and whomever or whatever else.
    Wow, you kind of over thought a relatively simplistic ideal here didn't ya? lol...holy crap.

Cool is a slang word for acceptable, awsome or the "in the moment" thing thing to do. I am sure you are familair with this. Possibly not though. It's kind of like the word...dick. Not only is it a fun name..Hi Dick, how are you today? It can also be used as a verb, "to be messed with"...Don't let that guy dick with you. The again, and here's the fun part, it can be used to describe someone. Oh, like this...You would have to be an unbelievable DICK to believe it is harmful or immoral for kids to believe in Santa.

Now...would you rather be "cool"...or a dick?

Don't be a DICK, believe in Santa.