Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santa is irrational

Wow, you kind of over thought a relatively simplistic ideal here didn't ya? lol...holy crap.
    I think it's more likely that you've underthought a fairly complex situation.

Cool is a slang word for acceptable, awsome or the "in the moment" thing thing to do. I am sure you are familair with this. Possibly not though.
    I'm familiar with the term. I just think it's a stupid reason to make a major decision about your life, just because you think it's "cool." It's like deciding to join the military (even though you can't handle the rigorous training and harsh routine) just because you saw a video game character do it and thought it "looked cool," or deciding to buy a gun because it's "manly." If you're going to do something, it should be for a solid, timeless reason (i.e. something you won't regret or change your mind about in 5 minutes, or days, or years), not because you felt a passing fancy and thought it would be "cool."

Now...would you rather be "cool"...or a dick?
    False dichotomy. I'd rather take the third option and be responsible.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I think it's more likely that you've underthought a fairly complex situation.

I'm familiar with the term. I just think it's a stupid reason to make a major decision about your life, just because you think it's "cool." It's like deciding to join the military (even though you can't handle the rigorous training and harsh routine) just because you saw a video game character do it and thought it "looked cool," or deciding to buy a gun because it's "manly." If you're going to do something, it should be for a solid, timeless reason (i.e. something you won't regret or change your mind about in 5 minutes, or days, or years), not because you felt a passing fancy and thought it would be "cool."

False dichotomy. I'd rather take the third option and be responsible.
    I think you need to go back to the orignal post. A major decision in your life is deciding whether or not Santa is a viable belief system? Like I said, take 'er easy there. Slowly walk away from the ledge...slowly.

I think you need to go back to the orignal post. A major decision in your life is deciding whether or not Santa is a viable belief system?
    It's a fairly important decision for you to systematically lie to your child over a period of 5-10 years about something really silly and unnecessary, yes. Not the most important decision by any means, but definitely important; from the child's perspective, it can sow seeds of distrust. If you can come up with a good, sound reason to lie to your child about something so silly, then I'm all ears, but I haven't heard a really good reason to do so. I've just heard some excuses along the lines of, "What harm could it do?", or even stupider, "my parents lied to me about it, so why shouldn't I lie to my kids?"

It probably wouldn't harm your child much to tell them that Magical Flying Bananas won't deliver them gifts from New Zealand every year unless they behave, either, but that still doesn't explain why I would want to tell them that.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Well, if your are telling you kids about Santa for 10 years, buy them a helmet, cause they're going to be bouncing around in the back of the bus. And (I almost have to laugh at this run of stupidity), if your kids develop actual mistrust because you told them about Santa, holy shit, no amount of therapy will ever mend that. So, I guess I get your irrational point of view. And personally, I think it's horseshit. But do what you want. I just appreciate the chuckles from this thread.

Santa rules.

Well, if your are telling you kids about Santa for 10 years, buy them a helmet, cause they're going to be bouncing around in the back of the bus. And (I almost have to laugh at this run of stupidity), if your kids develop actual mistrust because you told them about Santa, holy shit, no amount of therapy will ever mend that. So, I guess I get your irrational point of view. And personally, I think it's horseshit. But do what you want. I just appreciate the chuckles from this thread.
    It depends on when you start telling them, really.

And some people are bothered when they find out their parents lied to them. Others find out it was a lie and don't care. I certainly didn't care. I was actually pretty proud of myself when I found out that Santa wasn't real (I had suspected for a couple of years prior, but my parents kept telling me that if I didn't believe in him, I wouldn't get presents from him, and being sort of a materialistic asshole at the age of 7, I went with it for awhile).

However, if you believe in religion or god, and your parents lie to you for years about something like Santa, it can easily sow distrust/skepticism with regard to other things that are "believed but not seen." Some religious people will refuse to go with "The Santa Lie" for exactly that reason.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

I'm an old fartass and still believe in a Santa. Eventually, my twins will too but if not, then hopefully they shall believe in the toothfairies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulce View Post
    I'm an old fartass and still believe in a Santa. Eventually, my twins will too but if not, then hopefully they shall believe in the toothfairies.
    You do?

People, get real. Santa is a state of mind, not a man. Get real noobs.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    You do?

People, get real. Santa is a state of mind, not a man. Get real noobs.
    Nope.

Please let's not turn this Santa thread into something as serious as a religion or politics thread!
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/