Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I actually like Cruisin' California.

Default I actually like Cruisin' California.

I am an amateur filmmaker. Here is my attempt at a music video. Thanks for watching, give me your feedback, it means a lot to me.

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck
    If it's good enough for you

I don't like giving feedback, because you almost can't do it without making it sound really negative, but here goes:

Make your cuts follow the music. I only noticed you doing this around 2:40 when the song slowed down (Caaliforniaaa...), but this is something you need to be doing much more often when doing a music video. Also, because it's a relatively up-beat song, you need to make more frantic and rapid cuts as well to reflect that. I also noticed a few clips that seemed to be leftovers of an editing process (clips that showed up for a small fraction of a second, just to disappear before you could realize what it was).

I hope you don't take it too harshly, I think it's cool you made this video, even though it may be a bit too personal for me to really enjoy.

Keep workin', and keep cruisin'!

Yeah, I know you mean about trying to sync the video with the music but it's really hard to do. I appreciate you watching it though, it means a lot to me... it's damn near impossible to get anyone outside your family to watch your stuff let a lot critique it! Thanks for the tips. I will continue ah- cruisin'!

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck

I liked it very much!

THAT is a video I'd like to be in. Looks like fun times!
    The Meaning Of Life would be a great song for this video too. Keep it up, i enjoyed it
    Im not a trendy Asshole

It keeps stopping to buffer for me, but I think you did very well. Nice clips.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

7. Default

I like the song too. As for the video...I don't know. It seems overly personal, like I'm watching someone's home movies, and not really in a good way. It just looks like you edited together a bunch of old clips you had laying around without putting much thought into how they might fit the song. I was expecting a video shot and edited by an amateur or group of amateurs specifically for the song.

That grey kitty is really gorgeous though! :3

What she said ^^

While this would be a fun video to show to your family or friends, its not really a "music video" as the general population understands it to be. This is a video montage/mashup. I disagree with TripleDK though, your video had a nice flow, for the most part, that followed the mellower pace of certain aspects of the song. Honestly, his recommendations are common but often overused and abused cues for cuts and editing. As far as family video montages go, this is not too shabby. It was lots of the same people but not terribly repetitive.

Music videos generally start with a synopsis inspired by the song. Then, you create some sort of outline or representation of what you want to happen based on the synopsis, either with writing or storyboards. Then, you start videoing any and all clips that might help you flesh out your video. Shoot lots and lots of video. Hours and hours of video. Nice thing about having tons of stuff generally all related to, but not strictly defined in your storyboard or outline, is it may give you ideas that you hadn't considered. Then, you can make changes to the video plot/story/progression and keep filming. I used to be very into video making and editing, starting way back before youtube was a thing. If its something you have an interest in pursuing further, as a hobby or a profession, you need to start looking at square one before even considering going further.

I could talk more on the subject, but even I don't wanna read that whole post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

I thought it made a good mashup, too. Like something to show at a party with those involved or something.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Aww you guys are really kind. I really, really appreciate you guys actually taking the time to view my project. It's hard to get people to watch them, let alone review them! I know I probably shouldn't use the term "Music Video" because it really is just like a mashup of a video slideshow, but there are a few parts where I tried to get the music and video to sync with eachother, but it's really hard to do. I started making these in 2008, and I make one every year. So I have 5 of them now so far. (I'm sure you don't want to watch them all haha) but it's very cool that you guys check out my work. All your critique really helps me as an amateur filmmaker..... you guys rock.

I'm not a trendy asshole
    I do what I want
    I do what I feel like
    I'm not a trendy asshole
    Don't give a fuck