Thread: I want to have a science discussion or two...or many!

Hybrid View

Default I want to have a science discussion or two...or many!

I love science! I love reading about it, watching programs about it on TV, talking about it, and doing experiments. Anyone else as big a science nerd as I am? My specialties are astronomy, biology and geology (paeleontology is a combination of the last two.)

I like talking about evolution, the different cosmic bodies in space and how they interact, the weather systems of other planets, the beginning and end of the universe, how natural disasters affect the Earth, weather phenomena, global climate destabilization, forensics, animal and plant metabolism (to a certain degree,) the commonalities between different organisms, how features on the Earth tell you about what happened in the past, how the atmosphere produces such varied climates and weather systems, why Pluto is no longer a planet, theoretical physics, the forensics of crime scenes, ANYTHING ABOUT DINOSAURS, and others stuff.

Anyone wanna talk some science?
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-06-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I'm taking a masters degree in chemical engeneering. If you want to talk about chemistry I'm interested. But not now, cause it's 2am here in Portugal and I'm going to bed.

Sure. Talk science to me, baby.
    Whoa, self. Keep it together.

Do you believe in time travel? My fave scientist, Michio Kaku sure does. Furthermore, do you think that the ancient Anasazi pepple could have come from the Sirius system and lived underground for a while, as their legends say? I, for one, do. Their gods, the ant people, supposedly helped them. These ant people bear similarity to several other things, like astronauts and other gods in faraway cultures. Any thoughts.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    Sure. Talk science to me, baby.
    Whoa, self. Keep it together.

Do you believe in time travel? My fave scientist, Michio Kaku sure does. Furthermore, do you think that the ancient Anasazi pepple could have come from the Sirius system and lived underground for a while, as their legends say? I, for one, do. Their gods, the ant people, supposedly helped them. These ant people bear similarity to several other things, like astronauts and other gods in faraway cultures. Any thoughts.
    I only know a bit about the Anasazi. I forget most of what I learned. I'm a huge fan of Michio Kaku! I don't doubt that time travel is possible, but I don't think you can go back in time. Like traveling at nearly the speed of light can make time pass slower for you compared to others would sort of propel you forward in time, but backwards has a lot more complications.
    It brings the need to discuss all sorts of self-correcting paradoxes with it. Like would the laws of the universe keep you from creating a time travel paradox?

Sapo, does chemical engineering also include the genetic engineering of animals? I've seen TV programs about reactivating long dormant genes in birds and tweeking existing genes' on/off switches to recreate a dinosaur-like bird. Not a true dinosaur, of course. But they talked about switching the feather gene to make scales on the body like on the legs, adding vertebrae to the tail, reactivating genes to grow teeth and others to make the arms longer and less wing-like.
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

So then, if one goes forward in time, is there no going back? Because a return to present day (of the traveler) is back in time for the others and the current placement of the traveler. I wonder if it might be like "A Christmas Carol", where people can watch, but not interact. Or perhaps one can interact. Say that Jimmy goes back in time and shoots his mother (either on accident or on purpose). Well, perhaps and alternate universe would take over and Jimmy would have never been born. Or perhaps Jimmy would see it, but in reality, it never happened. For example, I could shoot Manuel Noriega in a game, but in real life, he would remain alive, in jail, in France. Perhaps the future would appear as a matrix, or a mask around what's really happening. Or perhaps it is like a game, where whatever a person does, once the game is over, the data is reset to default. Any thoughts?
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Quote Originally Posted by Godxilla View Post
    So then, if one goes forward in time, is there no going back? Because a return to present day (of the traveler) is back in time for the others and the current placement of the traveler. I wonder if it might be like "A Christmas Carol", where people can watch, but not interact. Or perhaps one can interact. Say that Jimmy goes back in time and shoots his mother (either on accident or on purpose). Well, perhaps and alternate universe would take over and Jimmy would have never been born. Or perhaps Jimmy would see it, but in reality, it never happened. For example, I could shoot Manuel Noriega in a game, but in real life, he would remain alive, in jail, in France. Perhaps the future would appear as a matrix, or a mask around what's really happening. Or perhaps it is like a game, where whatever a person does, once the game is over, the data is reset to default. Any thoughts?
    In the way I discussed with the speeding up of time rates to pass differently, the outsider will not have traveled back in time, they will have also gone forward. Both parties experience their passage of time the same way, they feel it has stayed the same. However, In fact, the outsider will have traveled forward more, meaning more time has passed for them. Less time would have passed for the traveler, making it seem like they traveled forward in time. None of this breaks any of the currently known laws of physics, we just don' t have the technology to travel around a black hole to experience the time-warping effects of its gravity, or to travel so fast that this time rate alternation occurs.

The alternate universes and spontaneous branching off of such universe seems like the only plausible defense against time travel paradoxes to me. At least, for now, it does.

Star Ocean: till the end of time made me think about that seriously. The data thing. One of the laws of the universe is information is never lost. That does sound an awful lot like a computer, doesn't it? I mean, to a certain extent.

We can take this to a PM if we really want to delve into the nitty gritty of this topic.
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-06-2013 at 09:44 PM.

I'm really good at history, and I know a shit ton of cooking. More than static_martyr, at least. Static, I challenge you to a dual. A dual of history. I will school you under the table cause I freaking ROCK at history.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I'm really good at history, and I know a shit ton of cooking. More than static_martyr, at least. Static, I challenge you to a dual. A dual of history. I will school you under the table cause I freaking ROCK at history.
    A dual, or a duel? Either way, I'm not very good at history. I am really good at books, though. I kick ass at books. And toys. I'm really good at toys.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    A dual, or a duel?
    Hahaha between that and my Austrialan thread, I'm on a roll today

Either way, I'm not very good at history. I am really good at books, though. I kick ass at books. And toys. I'm really good at toys.
    Oh yeah?? Well I really love talking about exams. I LOVE exams and know so much about them! Let's have a discussion about exams! What's your favorite kind of exam?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Oh yeah?? Well I really love talking about exams. I LOVE exams and know so much about them! Let's have a discussion about exams! What's your favorite kind of exam?
    Personally, I really like talking. I'm good at talking, I actually know a lot of talking.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "