Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Idea to ban hunting AND control species oerpopulation

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,069


    Default

    I don't agree with always shooting the fittest ones, either, but I didn't imply that. There aren't only two options, only shooting weak/sick ones, or only shooting big strong ones. One can also hunt whatever one comes across. Most people who hunt for food don't go for the biggest, anyway, because the meat isn't as good. But most hunters (the kinds that are assholes are in the minority and usually shamed by the rest) don't go after trophies.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    How come no one but me has touched on the issue that hunting to control the population would be acceptable if the hunters killed the old, sick and weak? This is imitating the natural predators that humans themselves eliminated. Obviously, we could never allow those gung-ho hunters to participate, as they would kill the big strong animals and make some excuse. Doing absolutely nothing at all to an animal population that is exploding and has a limited habitat fringed by human society would be as cruel and hunting them for sport. These animals would eat their food resources more quickly, then eat the food resources of other animals or feel too crowded and venture out onto the roads and invade people lawns, where they would be shot and killed or kill a human, anyway.
    Next time I am out hunting I'll get the animal's ID and ask how they are feeling before I sight in. Do any of you people have the first damn clue what it is like to hunt? Generally the weak and old are taken care of by natural predation. It would be fucking stupid for a hunter, even if he could, to target these as they are the natural prey for many carnivores. Most of you people think you simply walk into the woods and BANG! Dead. Dinner served. Wrong. The vast majority of time you get nada after days in the woods...the actual hunting seasons are short, weather plays into it, and simply put, animals are smart. Some of you dipshits that think you just go out and willy nilly shoot shit, well, you've lost your fucking mind. If you think it's that easy, go try it. Most of you would pass out the first 10 minutes, slugging miles through the woods, over giant hills/rocks and accross 500 pastures ain't real easy carrying a loaded gun. I must say though, turkeys are pretty hard to get while shooting songbirds, woodpeckers and bald eagles isn't as much of a challenge as you'd think with a .243 popping a 100gr bullet at 175 yards.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,798


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Next time I am out hunting I'll get the animal's ID and ask how they are feeling before I sight in. Do any of you people have the first damn clue what it is like to hunt? Generally the weak and old are taken care of by natural predation. It would be fucking stupid for a hunter, even if he could, to target these as they are the natural prey for many carnivores. Most of you people think you simply walk into the woods and BANG! Dead. Dinner served. Wrong. The vast majority of time you get nada after days in the woods...the actual hunting seasons are short, weather plays into it, and simply put, animals are smart. Some of you dipshits that think you just go out and willy nilly shoot shit, well, you've lost your fucking mind. If you think it's that easy, go try it. Most of you would pass out the first 10 minutes, slugging miles through the woods, over giant hills/rocks and accross 500 pastures ain't real easy carrying a loaded gun. I must say though, turkeys are pretty hard to get while shooting songbirds, woodpeckers and bald eagles isn't as much of a challenge as you'd think with a .243 popping a 100gr bullet at 175 yards.
    I could easily do it. Shoot a turkey and carry that and a loaded gun through the woods and everything. Take me sometime and I'll show you how it is done.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,688


    Default

    We are talking about hunting for population control, or, at least, I am. This means there are NO natural predators to kill the prey. There are ways of determining whether an animal is sick or not. Their coat may lack a sheen or have missing patches are may have a different tinge, the animals may limp and be slow, it could be thin from not eating. Yeah, that would make hunting far less fun, but this is a different type of hunting than what you are talking about. I have never been hunting, but I have a basic idea how it goes. Most of the time is used either waiting for or stalking the quarry. Also, what idiot actually thinks that you walk into the woods and happen across an animal right away that will hear or see or smell you coming before you ever knew it was there and what animal would remain there after sensing a human?
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-09-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    We are talking about hunting for population control, or, at least, I am. This means there are NO natural predators to kill the prey. There are ways of determining whether an animal is sick or not. Their coat may lack a sheen or have missing patches are may have a different tinge, the animals may limp and be slow, it could be thin from not eating. Yeah, that would make hunting far less fun, but this is a different type of hunting than what you are talking about. I have never been hunting, but I have a basic idea how it goes. Most of the time is used either waiting for or stalking the quarry. Also, what idiot actually thinks that you walk into the woods and happen across an animal right away that will hear or see or smell you coming before you ever knew it was there and what animal would remain there after sensing a human?
    I have never hunted for pc other than deer in CWD zones. And by this you have no idea they are actually infected with CWD until you look at their brain and it looks like swiss cheese. If you see a sick animal around where I live, good luck knowing it. More likely than not, there is a coyote, eagle, vulture etc... chewing on its dead ass in short order.

    You'd be amazed what some people actually think hunting is. Clueless would be an under statement. Actually, I have walked up on several animals and they never knew I was there. You walk into the wind the direction you wish to hunt if possible. You'd be surprised how quiet you can be.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,688


    Default

    Well, at least you don't seem mad at me, anymore. I know there are ways to mask yourself from the animal. Stand downwind of them, wear camo, look before stepping, avoiding twigs, breathe quietly (maybe?) I'd like you to clarify what exactly is used to cover the scent of human.

    When an animal population is infected with a nasty disease, then of course you have to kill the animals in the infected area or they will spread it to the members of their species in neighboring territories.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    lol...mad? Me not coming off as an asshole is actually hard work. Don't take it as me not being mad at you. I still think you're an unbelievable bitch.



    I am kidding....

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,688


    Default

    Well, I can be, I'll give ya that much.

    But, seriously, how do hunters get rid of their human scent? Is it deer urine? I've heard that before but I don't think I've asked an actual hunter before.
    Last edited by "Melyssa K" Kennedy; 01-09-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,798


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Me not coming off as an asshole is actually hard work. ..
    Lol yeah it is, sometimes I can't believe you can do it.. not be an asshole. but seriously I don't think you're an asshole you can be mean sometimes tho.
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 01-09-2013 at 03:03 PM.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,135


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Well, I can be, I'll give ya that much.

    But, seriously, how do hunters get rid of their human scent? Is it deer urine? I've heard that before but I don't think I've asked an actual hunter before.
    Well, first as far as deer hunting goes, you never wash your hunting clothes...never. Simply hang them up and air them out. Yes, the clothes can get filthy and such, but that's part of it. Don't use deodorants or cologne of any kind. You can use masking sprays etc.. but washing them in a washing machine with Tide or normal detergent is a no-no. Might as well light yourself on fire and run screaming into the woods. Cause they'll know you're there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •