Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting ancestors

Default Interesting ancestors

So I was watching Who Do You Think You Are earlier today, and I thought it might be good to make a thread where people could talk about any interesting/strange/famous relatives people may have. Perhaps this won't be interesting at all, but I guess everyone finds things that are connected with them interesting.

I don't know very much about my family members, just a bit about a few.

Probably the most interesting is my grand-uncle on my dad's side, as I had heard that he was a jockey, and I recently visited the ruins of the mansion where he once worked as a stable hand. I had also heard from stories that he had once one the Aintree Grand National, so one day a few months back I decided to look it up on the internet, and actually found a video of him winning it in 1927 on a horse called Dogfox!
    http://www.britishpathe.com/video/dog-fox
    He died after being kicked in the head by a horse when he was still fairly young.

Other than that, my other grand uncle on the same side was in the IRA, but was killed by the British Army and apparently dragged along the street behind a van.

On the other side, I also had a grand uncle who apparently owned a mansion, was a vegetarian (in a time where virtually nobody in Ireland was) and kept only white cows and horses. Don't know anymore about him.

I don't get along with most of my family, and find most of them to be idiots. So I couldn't care much less about my ancestry. The fact that my family consists of idiots who are closed off to the entire world and don't know anything about countries that aren't America plays into my lack of interest. Plus the people I consider family who I'm actually interested in learning about aren't actually related to me by blood (like my half brother's grandfather).
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I have a long-dead relative on my mother's side. He was a professional gambler, and not a good one either. I have one ancestor who was bitten by a wolf somewhere in Russia. I also have one ancestor who built buildings in my area a ling time ago. Kinda cool.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

I wish I knew more about my ancestors, but I don't really know much more than the family that is still alive. Never really knew how to go about reserching it when I have no one in my family to ask or that would really know much. We don't communicate much for various stupid reasons.

My great grandmother was Carrot Top.

Psh, I wish.

I don't know much about my ancestors except for the fact that there was a lot of them and most of them fought in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    My great grandmother was Carrot Top.

Psh, I wish.
    As in the pony? XD

I just found out the other day that I have English ( meaning from England) one my dad's side. I knew it was German by I didn't know the English part. On my moms I have German Yugoslavia Irish and nnative American. I how I got my native American was a member of a military married my great great great great grandma who was a member of the Cherokee tribe who was a princess.

I had a great-great-grandfather or something who fought in the western front. Nobody in living memory knows anything about him firsthand, I've only seen his records and stuff, but it seems he got hospitalised with VD way too many times for it not to be deliberate.

Also got a great-great-uncle who fought in the pacific. He said every time there was a battle he hid under a bush and fired half his magazine into the air so it looked like he actually fought back, then waited for it to be over.

And another great-uncle in the navy, who bragged about how every time it looked like a war might start he'd start a pub fight with civilians and get himself arrested. He got arrested a lot.

Clearly I have an illustrious family background of bravery, heroism and military elan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Vessels View Post
    I how I got my native American was a member of a military married my great great great great grandma who was a member of the Cherokee tribe who was a princess.

On my dad's side, he's mom (aka my great grandmother) is Indian and on my mom's side, her sister is a witch (aka my not so great aunt). I'm an American loser but i prefer to be a Mexican legend; because of my parents how they were born & raised with great down to earth personalities & with the awesomeness humble hearts. I'm the complete total opposite of them due to my Punk Rock freedom that makes them feel unpleasently with my abnormality of roaring the dark world.

My Great-Grandfather on my Dad's side was a general in the Mexican army around the time of Pancho Villa. The story is that he was kind of helping Villa get back and forth across the border. He had a family in Mexico, and a "secret family" in Arizona, where my grandmother was born. True story, as far as I know.

Viva La Raza!