Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing Fast Food Worker's Wages

Default Increasing Fast Food Worker's Wages

Fast Food Forward Organization.

What do you think of the idea of raising wages for fast food employees? On one hand, I can see a LOT of benefit to increasing the wages for these types of positions, even by an average of about $2 bucks. Namely, getting full-time workers off of public assistance, and also, making work more appealing to those who have given up. But on the other hand, if it's not fast food employees who are getting paid minimum wage...who is? Is raising the minimum wage a better option?

This also raises the question: Should ANY full-time worker be in the situation where they need public assistance just to support themselves?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I think that people who work these tedious types of positions, working at fast food joints, cashiering at stores, and other such jobs, deserve a raise in pay. Considering many who take these types of jobs are college students trying to save up to move out on their own and to pay off college loans, it could help them be independent more quickly. I'm pretty sure that's all I have to say on the issue. I'm not getting into the discussion of those with many kids who take these jobs because that's all they can get.
    Sign this petition Suzy made for me to get my interview with Greg K: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/873/7...ew-you-dammit/
    The Offspring UG interview me about said Greg K interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52j5kjyuug0
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Minimum wage is a joke and should be double what it actually is. If I were to work full-time at minimum wage, I would make less than $1200 a month after taxes. A basic apartment in my city averages about $650 a month for a one bedroom. Don't they say that a good rule of thumb is to not spend more than a third of your income on housing. The absolute cheapest apartments here still run $500 a month for a one bedroom, which makes it completely implausible to survive on one's own at a minimum wage job, fast food or not. Based on that little rule of thumb alone, the minimum wage would need to be at least $14 an hour, accounting for the fact that the average single person will pay 15% to 25% of their wages in taxes, depending on the state and city tax laws, in order to make a minimum wage job something a person could survive on without government assistance. Greensboro and NC have pretty high taxes and my average is 21 to 23%.

Also, I think you are making assumptions, Melyssa. People refer to a lot of these workers as college students trying to make ends meet, but in the dozen or so jobs I've had, a very small percentage were college students. Many were college aged, but not students. However, most of these folks are either quite young or past middle-age.
    Last edited by _Lost_; 01-09-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

I've worked as a cashier at three different places and only in the second one were there more middle-aged people than college-aged students. I don't know others' experiences, so I can only go on what I've experienced. Perhaps it depends what type of store it is or where you live. Many in my current job are students and a fair number at my first were fresh out of high school, some looking for colleges.
    Sign this petition Suzy made for me to get my interview with Greg K: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/873/7...ew-you-dammit/
    The Offspring UG interview me about said Greg K interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52j5kjyuug0

I worked as a cashier for Walmart when I was in high school before moving over to being a pharmacy tech after I turned 18. The cashiers are not paid NEARLY enough for some of the things they go through. Even after being with that company for 5 years and being a lead pharmacy tech, I still didn't make much more than when I started as a cashier. However, I had, and still have for that matter, a drive to better myself. Many of the cashiers I worked with were rather lazy and never took any steps to make their lives progress. However, it is my opinion that Walmart is a whole different beast when it comes to their employees. I have never had any other job where I felt so small as with that job. Just my opinion though.

I don't know what I think about this. On one hand, I really hate any business that pays its employees minimum wage because it's like saying, "I'd pay you less if I legally could. I think your work is worthless." However, minimum wage in the US is a LOT higher than it is in Slovenia (I think min wage here is around 3 or 4), but rent is just as expensive. I have a one-bedroom apartment, with utilities, it's about 600 a month. And it's next to impossible to find a 1br in Ljubljana for less than that. Yet people here still make it work. I think the min. wage here is awful and SERIOUSLY needs to be raised, but sometimes I just think we Americans can be so spoiled. Most Slovenes earning min wage would look at $1200 a month and their eyes would get huge and say, "I'd kill for that." I think the cost of housing is very similar between here and the US; food is cheaper here, but transportation is more expensive. Everything else is an optional choice in life.

So I don't know where I stand. On one hand, I think Americans could learn to live within their means a bit better because we're spoiled bitches. On the other hand, CEOs and directors don't earn NEARLY as much in Slovenia as in the US, due to taxes - they pay back into a system much more, which benefits the poor. It DOES really bother me how little minimum wage is, and I think it's sick that employers can get away with paying their slaves that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

LOL Llamas, I don't think I've ever seen a post where you opinion is so unclear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashwil View Post
    I worked as a cashier for Walmart when I was in high school before moving over to being a pharmacy tech after I turned 18. The cashiers are not paid NEARLY enough for some of the things they go through. Even after being with that company for 5 years and being a lead pharmacy tech, I still didn't make much more than when I started as a cashier. However, I had, and still have for that matter, a drive to better myself. Many of the cashiers I worked with were rather lazy and never took any steps to make their lives progress. However, it is my opinion that Walmart is a whole different beast when it comes to their employees. I have never had any other job where I felt so small as with that job. Just my opinion though.
    I've been working at my current job for three years (out for 11 months with a work-related injury) and I barely make $8/hour. I don't understand why some of the other cashiers even care about the store anymore. When it comes to these types of jobs, not only do good deeds never stand out, they are never even noticed, and the slightest mess-up can get you written up. It's bogus and thankless. You can even go out of your way to help an elderly customer and then get in trouble for holding up the line. But if you hadn't helped that customer, they would have held up the line even more.

Minimum wage in the US is grossly inadequate; if you factor in for inflation and convert to the same benchmark unit, the buying power of today's minimum wage is actually only 58 cents greater today than it was in 1955. And yet the cost of living has increased significantly compared to that, with the average price of a house or car rising in excess of 800%. Wages have increased in dollar amount as well by a similar percentage (about 817%), but of course inflation means that the buying power of that amount has not increased by the same percentage.

So the cost of living is going up faster than our ability to provide for ourselves; if we continue at this ratio of cost-to-wage increase, before long minimum wage will be a death sentence for anyone trying to provide for themselves, and taking a government job or college educated career will be the only realistic means of providing for oneself (and if you're the sole provider for a family of three or more, you can forget about minimum wage being enough).
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Personally, fast food wages are fine at minimum wage. These types of jobs are meant for young people and have little or no benefits. These jobs are certainly not meant to be a friggin career. I want a .79 hamburger. If you work at fast food for more than a year or two making minimum, you may want to re-think your career outlook.