Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Increasing Fast Food Worker's Wages

I was trying to interject a bit of humor.
    Forgive me, it's just that so many stupid people actually believe some of the things you're saying, and so your sense of humor is indistinguishable from someone who's just that stupid.

Doctor's make mistakes, they get sued.
    They're also paid enough to survive off of.

No one's saying that all jobs are equal or that you deserve to make millions working in fast food. There is, however, something called a "living wage," and if you're not going to pay someone enough to provide for their most basic needs, then you're basically paying them slave wages. They're not working for real money, they're working for pocket change and allowance rates.

Don't act like the fast food area is one giant mine field either. I worked fast food as a bus boy and grill cook. Never got hurt once. People get hurt all the time doing stupid shit. You cannot stop that. Doesn't mean you deserve friggin bonus pay for doing something.
    I've gotten minor cuts and scrapes a few times, but I never injured myself too badly because I'm very careful and I have a fearful respect for sharp objects and hot surfaces. But I know people who are also intelligent and careful, and still they get in accidents sometimes. One person accidentally cut her finger open with a brand-new knife because she didn't know it was new, and it went through a loaf of bread quicker than she expected and nicked the finger she was holding the bread with; it bled so bad she had to go to the ER and have it stitched up. And I also knew a woman at a Waffle House who was cooking, and some grease from the grill splattered onto her and gave her such serious burns that she had to be hospitalized for a few days.

It's not a "mine field," but it's not the safest job in the world, either. Just because it's not bio-chemical warfare doesn't mean you don't still have to be very, very careful. The fact that you accuse people of getting in accidents solely because they're irresponsible or inattentive just goes to show you that the slightest bit of inattentiveness at the wrong time can cost you dearly.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

First off, I write how I speak. Why? People relate to it easier. Being all high and mighty and carefully sculpting your prose for an open forum Offspring site is stupid. Your shit gets tedious and tiresome and 99% of it I pass right by. People want to read things quickly and get to the point. Do that. I also swear. Why? I like to. Don't like it?...go fuck yourself. I also have a pretty good sense of humor..hence I am an Offspring fan.

First off, I write how I speak. Why? People relate to it easier. Being all high and mighty and carefully sculpting your prose for an open forum Offspring site is stupid. Your shit gets tedious and tiresome and 99% of it I pass right by. People want to read things quickly and get to the point. Do that. I also swear. Why? I like to. Don't like it?...go fuck yourself. I also have a pretty good sense of humor..hence I am an Offspring fan.
    Take your own advice and don't read it if you don't want to. If you can't get your head around what I'm saying, then don't waste your time or mine by whining about it and then acting like you don't care.
    "I'm sorry
    "

1 members appreciate this post.

Ok...I am not real sure what you just wrote because I refuse to read it. But of the little bit I maaayyyyyy have read, I never said I do not care. Nobody should be stuck in a dead end, low wage job. But arbitrarily increasing the minimum wage has done ZERO to help these people. We have more poor people now per capita than we did in the 1960's I believe. Now I bet you want to skyrocket the min wage to say $15/hr. Can't. Wanna know why? It would tank the American economy. People have to realize, minimum wage is nothing to aspire to. It is something to run from. People come to this country not even knowing the language and become millionaires. Many of the people in this country assume that no matter what happens, Uncle Sam will help them through. They are not motivated. A lot of the get up and go in this country has got up and went. There will always be poor people and always be people that work for the min wage that barely scrape by. Just have to accept that. They have to make it on their own.

Ok...I am not real sure what you just wrote because I refuse to read it. But of the little bit I maaayyyyyy have read
    Either read it and answer, or don't and shut up. I couldn't give less of a shit which one you do, but this passive-aggressive "I'll never talk to you, but here I go talking to you" shit is just a waste of effort.

Now I bet you want to skyrocket the min wage to say $15/hr. Can't. Wanna know why? It would tank the American economy.
    First off, the minimum wage needs to be at least $10 an hour. We can argue higher than that, but 10 is the minimum for me. Second, that's bullshit. It's the same argument libertarians use every single time the minimum wage is raised artificially at the state level, and you know what? It never, ever happens.

The rest of your philosophy there seems to be that we should artificially keep people down while they work minimum wage, in order to force them to go on to better jobs. That's also bullshit, because if you're having to artificially pay them less than you can afford to reasonably pay them, just to "motivate them to go on to better jobs," then you could just pay them reasonably to begin with, and they wouldn't need to go on to a better job. Why do they NEED to be motivated by force to go on to better jobs, if the job isn't that bad? It's an artificial problem in that case.

Not that I would want to work fast food forever (I wouldn't, no matter how much you paid me), nor would I advise anyone to as a career choice. But in principle, what you're saying here is just dumb.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Yet you respond to most of what I write... interesting.

Most of my students (who are EFL) write better English than you. Funny. Never said anything about swearing; couldn't care less about that. I'm talking about your moronic mistakes of basic things, like their/there and you're/your. My non-native teenagers write better English than that. And I guess you confirmed the rest of my post

Edit: this post took me about thirty seconds to write. "Carefully sculpted" my ass
    Last edited by Llamas; 01-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

How would it tank the economy? This I don't understand... If 5.2% of people who make hourly wages make minimum wage and you effectively double their income and, thus, their spending power, not to mention giving those who make above the current minimum, but below this new one, a solid boost in their ability to spend, I would think it would give the economy a nice little boost. This is a sizable chunk of the population who have little to no expendable income.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

1 members appreciate this post.

What happens if all of these corporations have to pay more money for their cheap laborers? C'mon, you know exactly what would happen. The #1 thing these companies worry about is profits. If they have to pay the labor more, 1 of 2 things happens. A) Less hours for those workers, B) Raised Prices. They (companies), already like doing this in various ways whenever they can. I'd shit my pants to find a company like a Wal-Mart, Target, McDs or any fast food joint that hires a lot of workers (more than the absolute bare minimum they need to run shit), AND gives them all hours. One way or another low skill people will get fucked.
    arak0rs comin yo! arak0rs comin!

The lowest minimum wage in Canada is in Quebec (9.90 per hour) and Walmart and other similar stores are doing quite well Target is actually about to launch a massive country wide store opening (between new 100-150 stores).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

All of that stuff aside, I agree with the raising of minimum wage, I worked it for a while. I luckily was able to get out of it when I could because I was fired from said minimum wage job, and was asked by my higher paying job to start working more hours. What would also put me on the side of raising minimum wage is the reason of especially fast food workers, and other retail jobs is having to deal with the customer. The people who think that since the people waiting on them are minimum wage workers they can treat them like shit. I worked at a record store, and I still got at least a couple assholes who expected to be waited on hand and foot. Never mind what the poor bastards at Mcdonald's have to deal with.
    fuck fuck shit fuck