Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing Fast Food Worker's Wages

Personally, fast food wages are fine at minimum wage. These types of jobs are meant for young people and have little or no benefits. These jobs are certainly not meant to be a friggin career. I want a .79 hamburger. If you work at fast food for more than a year or two making minimum, you may want to re-think your career outlook.
    Well, as a matter of policy I make a point not to assume I know any details about a person's life, or why they are working a minimum-wage job. They might be like I was a few years ago, desperately working a shitty job (because I had no college education or connections) to help pay the mortgage on a house we were losing because my drug-addict dad decided to back out and stop helping mom pay for the house (while still living there rent-free because of a legal technicality concerning his "disability"), and we ended up losing the house anyway and having to start over from scratch without him. So I tend to not be overly judgmental and make lots of assumptions about other people's lives when talking about policy.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Sorry to hear that, static.

Fast-food workers might want to join a union. If they do, they can get some serious wage increases. It's been done before. It can be done again.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

Bighead, stop trying to change the world. It's not worth it.
    And I know what you're all gonna say, it's because of people like me that blah, blah, blah...

I would support a general increase because living with 7.25 just sets people up for no success in life. Due to all the expenses that one must cover to take care of ones self, the left over amount of money ends up either being negative or very little to invest in other things that would help one raise themselves on the economic ladder. But I generally oppose a raise for bighead because he would just spend the rest of his money on weed.
    HAVE YOU EVER GONE AWAY with ONE HUNDRED PUNKS to have THE WORST HANGOVER EVER?
    “Trust me, mate. Stingrays can't swim backwards.”~ Steve Irwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    That sucks. But it's not a surprise, I read an article which says that a lot if studies show that death is really bad for your health...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    Who is Blowjob Armstrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    Condoms, you and I.
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic
    Cockin' and Jockin' since July 2005

problem is the skills the average fast food worker "has" are not the kind that are "valued' very highly. not enough to warrant companies paying a lot more. they can get away iwth it because they know they can always just hire someone else at minimum wage who is desperate to even have a job.

generally people "should" be paid based on how much $ they help bring into the company, based on the skills they require and have to do it. problem is in an industry like that, they are far too easily replaced.
    arak0rs comin yo! arak0rs comin!

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    LOL Llamas, I don't think I've ever seen a post where you opinion is so unclear.
    Haha, I know, right?! As I was writing it, I kept backspacing and thinking, "No... but... hmm..." But a couple posts have caused me to think on it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Personally, fast food wages are fine at minimum wage. These types of jobs are meant for young people and have little or no benefits. These jobs are certainly not meant to be a friggin career. I want a .79 hamburger. If you work at fast food for more than a year or two making minimum, you may want to re-think your career outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by arak0r View Post
    problem is the skills the average fast food worker "has" are not the kind that are "valued' very highly. not enough to warrant companies paying a lot more. they can get away iwth it because they know they can always just hire someone else at minimum wage who is desperate to even have a job.

generally people "should" be paid based on how much $ they help bring into the company, based on the skills they require and have to do it. problem is in an industry like that, they are far too easily replaced.
    I agree a bit with both of these posts, but not entirely. I agree with Moto that if you're working in fast food for years at minimum wage, it may be time to rethink your life plan... your goals and aspirations and all that. However, the world is in a terrible state economically, and college in the US is unbelievably expensive these days. Also, when I look back at the shitty jobs I had in college, I clearly remember them searching for people they could kind of "break" and manipulate into working there for years on end. I remember working with people who started working there while finishing their degrees, and were manipulated a bit and roped into staying. Some were in their forties, though they were qualified to get a real job. They tried to do it to some of my coworkers and I when I worked at Domino's. On one hand, fuck the company for doing shit like that; on the other hand, stand up for yourself and realize your worth! I mostly feel bad for the workers in that situation, though, because they clearly don't have a lot of confidence.

arakor has a small point here in that unskilled labor is paid thus. However, raising minimum wage wouldn't cause unskilled labor to be paid the same as skilled; it would just increase the minimum.

The more I think about this topic, the more I agree with increasing minimum wage. Working forty hours a week to earn $1000 a month in a supposedly advanced and supposedly wealthy country like the US is sick. Slovenia's minimum wage needs to increase a lot, too, but just because people live with it here doesn't make the case in the US any weaker.

Moto, just out of curiosity because I don't think you've mentioned it before, but what do you do for work? What's your career path? And have you ever worked for minimum wage? In what context?
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Fast food jobs and those similar deserve minimum wage. They DESERVE a low minimum wage. Why? Simple. It is a job that requires damn near zero training or skill. You can take anyone off the street and in 5 minutes, their working fairly effectively at that job and the job is very safe. By safe I mean their is no personal safety risks or anything that defines that position as even remotely hazardess. This means anyone can do it and the people market for doing a no skill job is pretty large. It's basically everyone. If you want to position yourself where anyone can take your job, have at it. You deserve a low wage. If you want to make more dinero, get a skill or education and invest in yourself to better yourself. Thinking that every job, no matter what it is, deserves to afford that person a good living is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Thinking that every job, no matter what it is, deserves to afford that person a good living is ridiculous.
    But as the chart in the first post suggests, we are talking about basic necessities here.

What's in play here is the balance between letting the market determine wages and letting the desire to give all working people access to basic necessities determine wages. I don't see the problem if we move closer towards the latter.

But I will say that: If this change were to occur, it would be tough for small businesses with similarly low skilled positions to pay a competitive wage. For this reason, I think it's best that we seek a compromise, and not formally tie wages to a per-determined standard of living.
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-11-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

$15,000 a year, before taxes, is not even a living. $29,000 is a living, nothing more. A decent living falls somewhere in the 40 to 50k range. A good living is a whole different ballgame moto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Basic necessities meaning what? Most people feel this means a 1500 sq' apartment, cel phones, a land line, internet, 50" flat screen, video games, dvd's, netflix, a new car, going out whenever they want etc. These have become bullshit necessities in the minds of insane people. So unless they have them, they feel slighted.