Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Second Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    By that logic, we should legalize all drugs, yes? Laws against murder don't stop people from murdering each other, either... might as well legalize murder. Then at least it'd be legal to murder all the murderers, right?
    Well, if we legalize drugs, then the dealers will be broke. My source on this? Businessweek. I think they'd know.

And those who can't control themselves would be weeded out of the population. Is this bad? Darwin would have liked it. Sometimes, the burdens to a race need to be weeded out. It gives us all a better chance.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

My source on this? Businessweek. I think they'd know.
    Ah, the "Argument from Authority." Someone said so, they have expertise, therefore they're correct. Why are they correct? Based on what model? What statistics do they have to show their work?
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

I was wondering something the other day. How does the whole legalized pot deal work? Wisconsin is a smoke free state. You can't smoke in restaurants etc. Also it is a drug. Unless there were specific places made to get high, where are you allowed to smoke pot? I assume the only legal place would be at your home. Wouldn't it be like alcohol? You can't have it at work, in your car or anywhere else because it is a controlled substance (like say beer) along with the smoke free environment situation. So if pot were legal in Wisconsin, where could you smoke it besides at your home home?

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Ah, the "Argument from Authority." Someone said so, they have expertise, therefore they're correct. Why are they correct? Based on what model? What statistics do they have to show their work?
    Well, I read it in a printed form. So, maybe I could go look it up. Is this what you'd like?

Well, I read it in a printed form. So, maybe I could go look it up. Is this what you'd like?
    Why do you care what I would "like?" Why don't you just try to make your own independent argument to the best of your ability?

If you're just quoting what someone else said, and you have no understanding of it, then that's fine. But it seems disingenuous to pretend as if you have your own ideas about it, when you can't even put it into your own words.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Drug dealers would be broke if drugs were legalized because they charge extra for the extra costs they have to shoulder to smuggle their product into the country, plus the risk they take on to do it. By that logic, a legalization of murder would result in hit men going broke, since they can no longer charge exorbitant amounts to cover the risk of catching a capital case. And everyone would be dead.

On top of it all, this is a big straw man. And not only because no one is arguing for the straight legalization of drugs but rather the legalization *and regulation* of drugs, meaning that if pot were legalized, you'd still have to pay taxes on it and someone would be able to tell you when, where, and under what circumstances that pot may be consumed. Legal murder would necessitate regulation on whom can be murdered when and under what circumstances.
    Last edited by Little_Miss_1565; 01-15-2013 at 06:22 PM.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Regarding gun nuts....we just had a really odd situation. I've been in a sort of ongoing argument/debate about gun control with a guy on a random Facebook page I sometimes frequent. He's really stupid and psychotically aggressive; he actually managed to track down my street address somehow (I have no idea how, as I never post anything online that could be used to track down my physical location, such as workplaces or events or places I will be....even my name is sort of a trick), and he was threatening to kill me and my family in response to some comments I'd made about gun laws. The good news is that it was my old street address from a few years ago, so the crisis was largely averted....lol....but it's still creepy. This country is getting dangerously polarized. You can't even SAY anything about guns without having death threats directed at you; I've received three similar threats in the last few days from different users on the same page, but none of them had gone so far as to dig up my personal information. People are getting really delusional with rage about this gun issue....and what makes it so bad is, there's nothing even really happening. Obama said he might reinstate an assault weapons ban; I haven't heard any details about other proposed legislation. These reactions are solely based on hype and paranoia; if Obama ever actually did anything to "take away people's guns," I think there is probably a real chance that some of these people may actually try to start an insurrectionist movement. It'd fail miserably, of course --- tanks and missiles and bombs tend to outclass handguns and rifles --- but just the level of dedication to sheer lunacy expressed by these people is unnerving. Makes me want to move to Canada.

I mean, I'm no huge fan of Obama, but people are taking their hatred for this guy to extremes that I haven't seen before. I went to the G.W. Bush protest rallies and such back during his presidency, and the worst you saw there were nutjobs whining about 9/11 being an inside job. You didn't hear death threats and gun nuts going on about shooting the president or his supporters. It's crazy.
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Drug dealers would be broke if drugs were legalized because they charge extra for the extra costs they have to shoulder to smuggle their product into the country, plus the risk they take on to do it. By that logic, a legalization of murder would result in hit men going broke, since they can no longer charge exorbitant amounts to cover the risk of catching a capital case. And everyone would be dead.

On top of it all, this is a big straw man. And not only because no one is arguing for the straight legalization of drugs but rather the legalization *and regulation* of drugs, meaning that if pot were legalized, you'd still have to pay taxes on it and someone would be able to tell you when, where, and under what circumstances that pot may be consumed. Legal murder would necessitate regulation on whom can be murdered when and under what circumstances.
    Drug smugglers would probably still have jobs if drugs were legalised, depending on how hard the government decided to tax them. In fact, the smugglers prices (and margins) would probably have to increase, because selling illegal poison to children isn't going to get you half as skullfucked as stealing taxes from the government.

Also, murder means 'unlawful homicide'. Every country in the world permits homicide under certain circumstances, and murder's just anything that falls outside those circumstances. You can't compare "legalised murder" to "legalised drugs". You can't compare "legalised murder" to anything except another oxymoron or logic paradox.

Also, I have no idea why I'm bothering to correct a bunch of stupid carbon-copy arguments from Godxilla and Llamas. Maybe in the hopes they'll make some minor alterations to them before they get into their next argument and reuse them.

You're right of course. Though not sure legalization of drugs would go down the way you note, considering how the pot shops here in California have been operating. I was referring to the commodification of both and how the mental leap of "drugs being legalized fixes things; therefore let's legalize murder" would appear to indicate a cognitive impairment.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    Why do you care what I would "like?" Why don't you just try to make your own independent argument to the best of your ability?

If you're just quoting what someone else said, and you have no understanding of it, then that's fine. But it seems disingenuous to pretend as if you have your own ideas about it, when you can't even put it into your own words.
    That shocks me. I get shit from you for not using sources, and then, when I offer to bring in sources, you say I'm a sheep. Pathetic. I asked you a question, and I expected an answer. Do you want sources or not? I tell you, I need to take a break from this Politics thing. I can't take the double-dealing.

I read the damned article about a year ago, thought it seemed correct, and then brought it up here. If we legalize pot, then anyone can sell it. Prices will drop. Profits will as well. This will hurt the pot-smugglers. Is it that hard to understand?