Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Have A Confession To Make

Default I Have A Confession To Make

BBS, I have a confession to make: I actually don't like talking about politics.

Yes, I care about the stuff we have data on (not conspiracy theories, but established and well-documented facts), and I have positions on a bunch of issues. But I really don't enjoy talking about them that much, and I really, REALLY don't give a shit what other people think about them, unless we're having a respectful and constructive discussion where we're both exchanging facts and ideas. I don't enjoy fighting about it and I'm really not interested in mudslinging or name-calling (though title-brandishing I'm fine with; if you want to call me a liberal, for example, then that's fine, but I generally expect some kind of rationale behind why my position is necessarily bad or wrong, not just that it's liberal or conservative), so whenever that starts, I tend to either duck out or convert to troll mode.

However, I also can't stand sitting by and listening to people when even I can tell that they have no idea what they're talking about. Half the time, when I get in arguments with people on facebook (or internet forums, this one technically included but only very rarely, as I actually respect most of the posters here in a way that I don't respect others elsewhere), I don't even entirely know what we're talking about, but I can tell instinctively that the other guy is full of shit, and so I say things and ask questions in a precise, incisive manner --- not to change his/her mind or persuade him/her of my position, but to demonstrate to the world what a fucking nimrod they are, and how baseless their righteous self-confidence is. I might even say things that aren't true sometimes, sometimes as an honest mistake but usually just to piss them off (though usually I will admit it to them if it's an honest mistake). And you know what? They never even notice. They accept the falsehood I've declared as if it's fact, and they keep arguing their position. That's how fucking stupid they are; I don't even know what we're talking about, and I may not know a lot about it but I know what's not true, and so my effort to make a point by being sarcastic/dishonest is completely lost.

Does anyone else do this to any extent? Or am I some weird social anomaly that overthinks everything?
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Speaking for myself, when I no longer care about having a conversation or certain type of conversation, I stop engaging in them...
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Speaking for myself, when I no longer care about having a conversation or certain type of conversation, I stop engaging in them...
    On a case-by-case basis, that's definitely true for me as well. But all too often I feel like the guy in this song; especially if it's someone I respect, or in a place where I don't want to draw a lot of attention to myself or make a huge scene over something (or especially if it's off-topic for that forum/place/time/etc.). I try to avoid discussing it altogether, but they just keep. Going. And. They're. So. Fucking. Wrong.

For complete strangers, it's one thing; I can decide their opinions are irrelevant and tell them to fuck off. But if it's someone I like/respect, or if it's a common view in a place where I'm otherwise comfortable hanging out, it's difficult to keep listening to; it's like there's some internal bullshit detector I have that's just screaming at me, "SAY SOMETHING, you know you want to!!"
    "I'm sorry
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Witness your 10-year-long sparring match with what's his name... *flicks fingers* you know of whom I speak. Your personal all-time favourite customer.
    Aren't you supposed to be freezing to death right now in the cold snap that no one knew about? And let's be real here, one of the two of us has had "customers" and it wasn't me.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

The only thing I hate more than political arguments is people being wrong about politics.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I hate arguing politics, with every fiber or my being. And I hate watching/hearing other people argue politics. In fact, I only venture into the politics forum once a week or so, because it drives me so batty. If people ever see me posting in relation to anything political, its merely me pointing something out and is hardly ever related to what actual my opinion on it is. There is never any room for debate with anybody when it comes to politics and it always degenerates into a bunch of people puffing up their chests, political emblem emblazoned on their foreheads. I'm so over the chicanery of it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

If people ever see me posting in relation to anything political, its merely me pointing something out and is hardly ever related to what actual my opinion on it is. There is never any room for debate with anybody when it comes to politics and it always degenerates into a bunch of people puffing up their chests, political emblem emblazoned on their foreheads. I'm so over the chicanery of it all.
    See, that's the sort of arrangement I aspire to in principle....however, in practice it almost never works out that way. I agree whole-heartedly with your assessment of political debates, though. I enjoy discussing things, but it just seems like people are completely incapable of discussing things about which they have strong opinions. It's like their ability to separate their knee-jerk emotional responses from their reasoned beliefs renders them completely incapable of expressing their beliefs in a way that doesn't come off ass really egotistical and self-superior.
    "I'm sorry
    "

I have a hard time believing a lot of your sentiments here. You claim "For complete strangers, it's one thing; I can decide their opinions are irrelevant and tell them to fuck off. But if it's someone I like/respect, or if it's a common view in a place where I'm otherwise comfortable hanging out, it's difficult to keep listening to"... I doubt that the people you debate with here at the BBS, or the people you screencap and post on FB are people you like/respect... and you don't seem to post here much besides political stuff, which also goes for that FB group.

The thing is, I agree with you in a lot of fundamental ways when it comes to politics, but I often stay out of conversations with you and have taken to avoid responding when I disagree, BECAUSE you get incredibly condescending and "I'm right; you're wrong" about it. You complain about other people trying to be superior, but that's in fact the same thing you do.

If what you're saying is true - that you don't like talking about politics - then basically your entire goal in getting into these long-winded debates is to prove other people wrong and you right, which is kind of obnoxious and very arrogant.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    And let's be real here, one of the two of us has had "customers" and it wasn't me.
    Oh snap!

Haven't really seen SM get condescending until the later stages of the argument when he's frustrated, so I wouldn't hold it against him too much.

LM15self-righteous65.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.