Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: I Have A Confession To Make

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,076


    Default

    You said my post was pointless because I don't want to explain one word in a post. My post had a point that honestly has absolutely nothing to do with what you believe. The point was in the rest of my comment, talking about hoooow you go about sharing your beliefs with others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    You said my post was pointless because I don't want to explain one word in a post.
    Actually, I phrased it as a question precisely because I was asking you if that's basically what you meant --- you used a word (extremist), then you backed off and said you didn't mean that word. It's not a big deal to me, except that you've invested so much energy in trying to convince me that I'm being unreasonable for asking you to clarify what you meant. I thought that was odd.

    My post had a point that honestly has absolutely nothing to do with what you believe. The point was in the rest of my comment, talking about hoooow you go about sharing your beliefs with others.
    If the brunt of your argument is not that I am "just as extreme as the people I argue with," then perhaps you shouldn't head off your paragraph with that exact statement. As far as I can tell, the blunt of your accusation is that I am "extreme" (or whatever word you meant to use) because I am fairly established in my ideas, I defend them strongly, and I don't change my mind regularly. "Poking holes and searching for weaknesses" is how you test an idea to make sure it holds up in light of criticism. If your ideas are that easy to poke holes in, maybe you shouldn't hold them in the first place, or at least not take offense when someone criticizes them.

    The second part of what you said was probably the most condescending and maybe a little insulting, but since it's based on an assumption/prejudgment you've made about me and my psychology, I ignored it. And as for hearing new viewpoints, that's arguably the entire point of forums that feature politics. It's not my responsibility to make sure nobody gets butthurt if I don't back down and change my mind just because they feel like they've made a good point --- you make a critical mistake when you assume that I'm not listening to other ideas, just because I don't end up conceding them as equally valid. If you really believe in what you say, you should have more confidence in your ideas, and not get so upset when someone refuses to yield to them.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    Anyway, sorry to bump this topic after it had basically died, but a really good example of what I was originally talking about came up (I screencapped it for examination's sake, but I don't have a way to share it here without also posting it where the person who originally posted it might see it, and I don't want him to think I'm being a dick or trying to "raise an army" against him).

    I referred to "nuts," but also to people who are just factually wrong about things; I wasn't referring to matters of political philosophy (contrary to what the ensuing arguments might've lead one to believe), but rather to people whose points in an argument are founded on fundamentally false statements, things we can prove to be untrue.

    I recently had this discussion on facebook with one of my friends, who was still going on about the "Obamaphone" thing, and he insisted that "Obama's a socialist" and all that fun stuff; I pressed him to provide specifics and, while he acknowledged that the "Obamaphone" program was actually started under Bush Jr. and was actually called the SafeLink program, he claimed that Obama had changed the program to use our tax dollars to fund the service. I've only had this argument about 50 times since election season last year, and so I pointed out to him that the SafeLink program was funded by a non-profit corporation set up by the FCC to collect contributions from private companies, and that the FCC doesn't even mandate that the cost of those contributions be passed on to consumers. He eventually acknowledged that this was the case and backed off of his original argument, which demonstrates that he is actually an intelligent person --- it's just that he, like so many others, didn't really seem to care all that much if his argument was based on facts, at least not enough to research it before snarking off about it. I respect this person, he's not an asshole or anything (unless you think spouting off with incorrect beliefs qualifies you as an asshole, which I don't necessarily believe), and as shown by the act that he readily corrected his position when confronted with evidence to the contrary, he's an intelligent person. And yet.

    It just irritates me when people act like they're sure of what they are saying, but then it's so easy to prove them wrong (it literally took me 15 seconds on google to find the evidence). There's no shame in being wrong about something, as long as your position isn't predicated on the assumption that you can never be wrong about something. And yet, so often in political conversations it seems that that's the case.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    425


    Default


  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,018


    Default

    I think people back off your debates simply because they get tired of debating with you. You really do have a tendency to WANT to argue about almost anything. Here it seems that you wanted to actually help a friend realize they had some information wrong, but I am sure you did it in an aggressive way. I doubt his arguments were a third of yours, and I am sure yours were of the length of something that would put anyone off discussing it with you. Unless you can show us otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    This is awesome. Awesomely right. Nice find, Baldwin.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    I find that comment really interesting, llamas, considering that you're usually the one who initiates most of the arguments between you and me. I don't often follow you around just to argue with you.

    And not sure what godxilla and baldwin are getting at. You could say that this argument was petty, if you like, but I fail to see how it's "imaginary."
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Salem, MA
    Posts
    943


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I find that comment really interesting, llamas, considering that you're usually the one who initiates most of the arguments between you and me. I don't often follow you around just to argue with you.

    And not sure what godxilla and baldwin are getting at. You could say that this argument was petty, if you like, but I fail to see how it's "imaginary."
    Hey, man. Baldwin's trying to make a point, but I'm just complimenting a good meme/one-liner. I don't think your argument is imaginary, but seriously, I just liked the pic. Nothing personal. Not calling you anything. Not hinting at anything. Just saying "nice" to a pie chart which deserves such praise.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,018


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I find that comment really interesting, llamas, considering that you're usually the one who initiates most of the arguments between you and me. I don't often follow you around just to argue with you.

    And not sure what godxilla and baldwin are getting at. You could say that this argument was petty, if you like, but I fail to see how it's "imaginary."
    I comment first, yes. I never said you follow anyone around trying to start arguments. But I don't comment in a way to instigate an argument. I maybe write a couple sentences, which devolves into you writing 30 sentences in one comment, and usually results with me leaving for work or going to bed because I don't have anymore time to read all that. Conversations with you - here and on Facebook, and not only for me (just ask around) - end up with you writing ridiculously long replies. Naturally people are going to "back off" simply for that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    And that's their decision to make. The people I respect (and who respect me) don't leave drive-by comments and then take offense at me for addressing them. It's also unrealistic to expect that I address a comment in the same (or fewer) word limit as the comment I'm addressing. It takes five words to spout some falsehood or BS; it could take a single sentence or a whole paragraph (depending on whether you provide source links and quotes) to explain why it's BS.

    If you don't have the time or motivation to read my responses, then you're free not to read them. But it seems arrogant to me to feel that it's acceptable for you to offer your thoughts on something, but I'm somehow being facetious for responding with mine just because you don't like reading them -- especially given that you're in no way obligated to read them.

    Believe it or not, many of my friends enjoy having extended debates about our disagreements. It's like chess by mail; you can put it off until you have time and work out an intelligent response. If you don't like having nuanced discussions about the details of particular issues, then that's fine, but you don't have to invest so much energy into trying to convince me that I'm being so uncouth because that's my preferred method of discourse. You have yours and I have mine.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •