Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you hate being wrong?

Default How much do you hate being wrong?

How much do you hate being wrong: About little things? About significant things? In certain social situations? Compared to other people?

And mostly, why is it so hard for some people to admit they're wrong?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I don't really get pissed. I go, "huh.... i was wrong you were right. Good show". Like a normal human being.
    fuck fuck shit fuck

My personal theory (based on experience and some guessing) is that people don't want to admit they're wrong because they invest so much emotion and social standing into what they say --- they see being "right" as a means of gaining standing or credibility within a community, and so when they're called out on something (especially in a confrontational way), they don't want to back down because they feel it makes them look weak. So in the moment, they'll argue to the death, but then when the dust settles, they'll silently correct their opinions, come back later and pretend that their opinion was the new "correct" one all along.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

You must be an expert on such things, Bighead. Is being wrong one of your fortes?

And then there are those dickwad cockbrains who remind everyone how they act, without thinking about how they might be flawed too. Y'know, the kind of guy who insults public macho behavior while also, in a separate thread, calling out everyone else as wrong just because a couple old dickheads agree with him. The kind of guy who forgets that the majority isn't always right while simultaneously calling out others for believing the minority view. Wait, did one of them post above me? Perhaps.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

It depends on how much shit I talked before hand. On a serious note, if I have strong opinions on something, I have usually done at least the minimum research to back it up. If I know my knowledge is limited, I'm not suanything the answer, or only have a vague idea I'll mention that before giving my opinion. Then if I am confronted by facts or counter-arguments from someone knowledgeable that persuade me, I'll politely concede and it doesn't upset me or anything, I'm better off now. Sometimes people think they know what they're talking about when they don't, if they correct me, but I don't know enough to be sure and can't look it up immediately, I'll drop it and look it up later.

For example, I was involved in a conversation about which part of a swinging bat would deliver the most force, I was pretty certain that the tip would deliver the most force, but before I said anything a kid who was currently in a physics class said the middle section would be most powerful. That didn't sound right to me, but I haven't been in a math or science class of any kind in like four years, so I thought it foolish to argue, especially since I had no evidence or argument outside of 'it only seems right!' I asked some more knowledgeable friends later on and found out I was right. Never got around to bringing it up though, seemed strange and assholish.

Of course, sometimes I get ahead of myself and can be kind of a dick when I think I know what I am talking about, when I actually don't. When I get called out on that I feel like a fool and an asshole, but I'm not going to be mad.

I think people who say things like 'it's not always important to win the argument or be right', are often wrong and lose a lot of arguments. How about you stop getting upset when you're wrong, then there won't be any problems.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 01-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

I am never wrong, I just don't always know everything.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

I dont, I hate being right while others are wrong and they don't admit it.
    Last edited by Krojd; 01-25-2013 at 01:03 AM.

Also, people who get mad when you look it up on a smart phone, what the fuck is that. Is falsely thinking you're right or an endless argument better than knowing the answer? Don't give me that 'it ruins bar room debates' or 'it's an asshole thing to do' bullshit. If we can quickly and easily settle a discussion, why the fuck wouldn't we? Besides, there are a billion subjective things to argue about.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    It depends on how much shit I talked before hand. On a serious note, if I have strong opinions on something, I have usually done at least the minimum research to back it up. If I know my knowledge is limited, I'm not suanything the answer, or only have a vague idea I'll mention that before giving my opinion. Then if I am confronted by facts or counter-arguments from someone knowledgeable that persuade me, I'll politely concede and it doesn't upset me or anything, I'm better off now. Sometimes people think they know what they're talking about when they don't, if they correct me, but I don't know enough to be sure and can't look it up immediately, I'll drop it and look it up later.

For example, I was involved in a conversation about which part of a swinging bat would deliver the most force, I was pretty certain that the tip would deliver the most force, but before I said anything a kid who was currently in a physics class said the middle section would be most powerful. That didn't sound right to me, but I haven't been in a math or science class of any kind in like four years, so I thought it foolish to argue, especially since I had no evidence or argument outside of 'it only seems right!' I asked some more knowledgeable friends later on and found out I was right. Never got around to bringing it up though, seemed strange and assholish.

Of course, sometimes I get ahead of myself and can be kind of a dick when I think I know what I am talking about, when I actually don't. When I get called out on that I feel like a fool and an asshole, but I'm not going to be mad.

I think people who say things like 'it's not always important to win the argument or be right', are often wrong and lose a lot of arguments. How about you stop getting upset when you're wrong, then there won't be any problems.
    I feel more or less the same. I feel bad when I'm wrong about something I was confident about (as I think is normal... you SHOULD feel bad about that), but that doesn't happen often anymore because I've learned to do what you described - do some research before talking about things with confidence. If I'm not knowledgeable about something, I'll make that clear. I used to be awful about this stuff... even though I knew I wasn't confident about a topic, I'd still state it as though I was. It was terrible wording, and led to a lot of situations of me being wrong and it ending up in an aggressive debate. I've since learned how to preface things appropriately and make it clear how sure I am.

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I am never wrong, I just don't always know everything.
    Is this supposed to be a joke? If it is, it's a dumb one. If not, that doesn't make any sense. If that was true, then it's true for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

If I've invested time and energy into being right about something, it's going to bother me pretty significantly if I'm wrong.

I know this sounds like one of those things you can't assume everyone thinks like you, but I have a feeling virtually everyone HATES being wrong. Even though most people understand that there's no harm in being wrong if you make sure to learn from it, that won't stop ego from getting involved.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.