Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much do you hate being wrong?

Yes, Llamas, it was a joke. Only the most arrogant of asses would be serious about that. Last time I told that joke, it was received very well.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Also, people who get mad when you look it up on a smart phone, what the fuck is that. Is falsely thinking you're right or an endless argument better than knowing the answer? Don't give me that 'it ruins bar room debates' or 'it's an asshole thing to do' bullshit. If we can quickly and easily settle a discussion, why the fuck wouldn't we? Besides, there are a billion subjective things to argue about.
    Man, I've had this SAME thing happen before! I get these looks and comments as if I'm calling a research center or something. Fucking answer is two clicks away, bro!

On a related note, the best bar room debate I had was about whether or not Jesus Christ existed. I was arguing with this insanely annoying girl who was previously a Young Life Christian who converted to atheism. I told her that according to wikipedia, the vast majority of historians believe that Jesus Christ was a real person (which makes me curious about which historians DON'T believe that and if they're legit at all). She called my argument "an appeal to authority". She kept referring to all of these academic terms and stuff, but her arguments were just frustratingly annoying. Mainly because she was wrong but had a way of sounding real academic.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

You should have compared her to a creationist. She was refuting a theory which is 99.9% proven and overwhelmingly accepted in academic circles in favour of a theory that has no credible evidence supporting it and no credible historians believing it, simply because it fits better with her religious beliefs.

You don't win arguments by being right. You win them by comparing the other person to people they hate, and shaming them into silence. Or alternatively, if you can't manage that, you let them win but ruin their victory by making sure everybody knows that they only won by berating you into silence. That's why I don't hate being wrong, at all. Right and wrong are irrelevant. They're abstract concepts, and they have no meaning.

You don't win arguments by being right. You win them by comparing the other person to people they hate, and shaming them into silence. Or alternatively, if you can't manage that, you let them win but ruin their victory by making sure everybody knows that they only won by berating you into silence. That's why I don't hate being wrong, at all.
    Ahh, so that explains it.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    You should have compared her to a creationist. She was refuting a theory which is 99.9% proven and overwhelmingly accepted in academic circles in favour of a theory that has no credible evidence supporting it and no credible historians believing it, simply because it fits better with her religious beliefs.

You don't win arguments by being right. You win them by comparing the other person to people they hate, and shaming them into silence. Or alternatively, if you can't manage that, you let them win but ruin their victory by making sure everybody knows that they only won by berating you into silence. That's why I don't hate being wrong, at all. Right and wrong are irrelevant. They're abstract concepts, and they have no meaning.
    You appear to be right. But since right and wrong are prideful, abstract wastes of time, perhaps I should just liken you to Adolf Hitler and claim victory.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

You know who else likened people they disagreed with to near-universally hated historical personalities? Hitler!

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    You know who else likened people they disagreed with to near-universally hated historical personalities? Hitler!
    I see what you did there. You likened me back to Hitler so that I could seem wrong. Clever. But you know who else was evilly clever like that? Hitler, of course.

You know who else thought Hitler was clever? The Nazis!

You know who talked about the Nazis in such a negative way? Stalin!

I just wanted to say that I approve the direction this topic has taken.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "