Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JJ's directing (at least) the first Star Wars sequel for Disney.

Eh, fuck all of the "Old Republic" stuff. Most of the EU, for the matter. The "thousand years ago" stuff always bugged me, since it all just seems a rip-off of the movie's "factions" anyway. You've got a "sith empire" and cannon fodder guys who all look like Stormtroopers anyway, etc. Might as well just set it in the movie's period and go with the real deal, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
    Eh, fuck all of the "Old Republic" stuff. Most of the EU, for the matter. The "thousand years ago" stuff always bugged me, since it all just seems a rip-off of the movie's "factions" anyway. You've got a "sith empire" and cannon fodder guys who all look like Stormtroopers anyway, etc. Might as well just set it in the movie's period and go with the real deal, no?
    I'm not saying I agree with your "rip-off" opinion, but even if that was the case, why would you care if the resulting product is still superior to the original? The time of the Old Republic is always going to be superior simply because it boasts an abundance of Jedi and Sith if for no other reason. And without Jedi and Sith the Star Wars universe is really quite boring.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I guess my point was that they're just substituting Palpatine's Empire for a "Sith Empire", and Republic Jedi for "Old Republic" Jedi, with a cheap gimmick of "but in the old days there were LOTS of Sith, omg!". Plus all of the designs, look and feel of it all is 90% exactly the same as the movie-era stuff anyway. So why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with your "rip-off" opinion, but even if that was the case, why would you care if the resulting product is still superior to the original? The time of the Old Republic is always going to be superior simply because it boasts an abundance of Jedi and Sith if for no other reason. And without Jedi and Sith the Star Wars universe is really quite boring.

Though i certainly would agree that i wouldn't want them not be involved, by favorite stuff has usually been more of the non-force related story-lines - like bounty hunters, ect.

I'm really hoping the new series is going to be influenced by the Thawn trilogy. Other EU stuff i've been a fan of is the Crimson Empire and Outlander comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Kennedy/Lucas and Arndt have all said it's nothing to do with any EU stuff, so no Thrawn or anything. That'll all be retconned with the continuity and usurped.

That's not to say Leia and Han can't have kids or anything, but they most likely aren't Jacen/Jaina/Anakin, that'll all be just overtaken with a new official continuity, and that'll be kicked back to "it was official in the 90s, not anymore".

More than fine with me.