Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Turning Into You get virtually no airplay?

Default Why did Turning Into You get virtually no airplay?

Note: Please show that you have some understanding of what makes a single marketable. This isn't simply a question of how good or bad you personally think Turning Into You is.

I thought Turning Into You was going to be a hit at least on the alternative rock charts, which would have kept DGB somewhat relevant to at least one sizable group of people (alt. rock fans). But it didn't even do anything there (I think it peaked around #30). That's a disappointment even for the modest expectations that a band in The Offspring's position should have. In the past, the first two Offspring singles were a given to crack the top 10 simply for being the first two Offspring singles. Hammerhead is probably these best evidence of this (it wasn't a very radio friendly song in length or style). I mean, I wouldn't have even guessed there are 30 bands out there today that could chart higher than The Offspring on alt. rock radio.

Ok, all I did here was attempt to illustrate how much of a flop Turning Into You was. I'd like to give an explanation, but I really have none. Maybe The Offspring are just seen as too old to attempt a modern rock sounding song like Turning Into You?
    Last edited by bighead384; 01-28-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Well Days Go By didn't really get a proper second single they put out two singles at the same time in April and then Turning Into You was sent to some radio stations in like September or October but by that point the album was old news and people were more interested in new albums from other bands like Green Day No Doubt and Muse

Well man.,the thing is that Cruising California F***ed this album! Days Go By was a decent single but not as good as Hammerhead,YGGFK or even Kristy are you doing okay were.! everybody was expecting something better as next single but they put CC out and that ruined everything (it was a bad play) and then They put Turning Into You out which is better than the other 2,.I don't know what happened to the band or label or whatever! but there are better songs in this album..."THE FUTURE IS NOW,SECRETS FROM THE UNDERGROUND,HURTING AS ONE,DIVIDING BY ZERO,SLIM PICKENS". If I had a chance to put singles out for the offspring I would pick : 1st single: The Future is now (powerfull,melodic,good lyric and offspring-ish song,I don't care if they say it's a ripp well it's really not) they say the same of days go by, 2nd single: Turning into you (I bet if they had put turning into you right after a single like the future is now things would be different) and 3rd single: Secrets From the Underground (So Powerfull song and they need to go back to punk again) and maybe a last single and a very good video of "All I have Left is You" (I think this is a really great and beautifull song way better than kristy are you doing okay). I didn't pick Dividing by Zero or Slim Pickens cause I think they wouldn't work good on radio

1 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    Well Days Go By didn't really get a proper second single they put out two singles at the same time in April and then Turning Into You was sent to some radio stations in like September or October but by that point the album was old news and people were more interested in new albums from other bands like Green Day No Doubt and Muse
    You're so right man! I think people were more interested on green day's trilogy album and other bands albums too! Green day put more videos and singles than the offspring did.

But CC was not released as a single in the US (and other places), and Green Day is just one band. What made it so that Turning Into You only cracked top 30?

Default Turning Into You

Again, "Turning Into You" is not a bad song as it may seem .....
    For me it is one of the best album along with others such as "The Future Is Now" .....

However, I think that "Crusing California" was a wild disappointment for the fans but not for those unfamiliar with the group, this is my ipressione ... while we wait for the video : D

Lightbulb My top singles order according sales and promotion.

Ups! again. In this time The Offspring failed in sales. They donīt appears on charts anymore.

My singles in order for DGB album:

1. Days Go By. The title of the album.
    2. The Future Is Now / Secrets From The Underground. Both singles. Both Video clips. One after the other. These songs represents the problems of the world inclusive in Argentina social issues.
    3. All I Have Left Is You. Third Single. Dexter appears on video playing the piano. Nice history about love.
    4. Turning Into You. Fourth Single. A good video clip.
    5. Dividing By Zero / Slim Pickens Does The Right Thing And Rides The Bomb To Hell. Fifth and both single. Both Video clip. One after the other. Only Airplay promotional.

This promo singles will ending at the end of December 2013.

And then 2014. Start to record the new album.

Itīs simple.

But Columbia Records want pop music in singles.

My idea the band will never sold out in Columbia. They were stay in Epithaph or Nitro.

Are you sure you live in Argentina? Or do you live in a little world inside your mind? 7 singles???

As someone who has helped market a number of albums, sometimes you know what's going to take off, and sometimes you don't. It's all about testing.

There are two radio formats that the Offspring could have singles promoted on: Alternative (think KROQ and stations like it) and Active Rock (think that station in your hometown that plays Mandatory Metallica every night at 10 PM).

What's reacting at Alternative right now is bands like the Lumineers and Mumford and Sons. This has been going on for a long time. Nothing on this album is in Alt's sweet spot. Nothing on this album sounds heavy enough for Active.

Active sells a LOT of albums. Then again, so does Alt, but not nearly as many as Active. Sometimes the timing is wrong - you make an album that's worked for you in the past, you send a new single out for test spins, it doesn't react, and you stop promoting it.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

I think it would have got promoted more if it was not the last album in their contract with columbia

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Nothing on this album is in Alt's sweet spot. Nothing on this album sounds heavy enough for Active.

Active sells a LOT of albums. Then again, so does Alt, but not nearly as many as Active.
    I would actually like to see them record more heavy sounding rock songs I know with bob rock they could pull it off
    Last edited by cool 2 hate 681; 01-30-2013 at 01:10 PM.