Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
Due to the fact that as time goes on, I'm more and more sure I won't ever choose to live in the US again, I'm also progressively more apathetic toward American politics. That's not to say I don't care, but I'm less likely to actively research stuff. I can only vote for president now (no amendments, no local govts), and my residency vote would have to be in Minnesota, which is the only state that hasn't voted Republican since Nixon (and thus, my vote is entirely useless). I'm also fed up with how extremely divided the US is, and the fighting. Most discussions about American politics are so polarized and venomous, and I've just grown tired of it.

Nowadays, I care a bit about Slovene politics, but not that much because Slovenia is so small. My knowledge of Slovene politics also comes from my friends and students, because I don't speak Slovene.

My biggest political interests these days are regarding the European Union. I've been noticing how little anyone seems to know about it... a lot of people don't seem to know where the central headquarters is... most don't know how the leaders get elected, nor who the leaders even are... and people don't really seem to know what the EU is doing. I think it's different in northern Europe, but most of the world (and much of Europe) has no idea. And that's terrible, because the EU is deepening and widening every year. People know farrrrr more about the US without even living there, but the US isn't the one that's expanding. So most of what I read these days is about the EU. I get my news from various sources - I like to read articles from various countries when possible (they're often in English), bloggers, etc. Information regarding the EU is still biased, but far less polar and aggressive.

Plus, I think it's too late for America. A look at the history of other large empires and unions heavily indicates that the US is reaching the end of its run. The EU, on the other hand, is growing and becoming more and more important. As I'm a globally-minded person, this leads me to be more concerned with the EU.
That's an interesting viewpoint. But why do you think the EU will become more powerful? When I look at the EU, I see England trying to leave, Greece causing monetary collapse, and economic restrictions that kill innovation. Of course, the US isn't on an upward trajectory either. What I see here is a rise of politicians who push for a society more like Europe. And as I discussed earlier, this isn't perhaps a good thing. In the future, China will also see a decline. Soon enough, in my opinion, second-world nations will grow in importance.

By around the time I retire (assuming the age isn't raised; 65 or so), I would not be surprised to see Brazil, India, and Mexico as some of the mightiest nations. Military might will likely be found in China, the US, and Russia, as usual, but like the Soviet Union, military strength will not equal economic stability. Nations like Japan or Greece, with their god-awful economies, will plummet in importance.
However, this all changes if water wars begin. Our population (as a planet) is exploding; we will struggle to keep up. We'll need more water, and like oil, we'll go to foreign nations to get it. Brazil/South America is one area that will suffer if this happens, and rather than become powerful, they will devolve into an Africa-like war zone. Bigger nations with copious land for farming and water for drinking like Canada could become quite important, and such a scenario could keep the US viable for a longer time.