Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I may be a dreamer...

Exclamation I may be a dreamer...

Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster here. I've got a quick question for the rest of you longtime fans.

Days go by was a decent album in my opinion. The the first 5 songs (minus dgb) had a new kind of rise against-ish feel to them, in my opinion, but not in a bad way. The middle slumped, and they killed it with the last two. The record company really messed up the singles though, and i think the band wouldve done it differently if it was their choice. more on that later. I think the album could've been better, but it showed me that their new style is good. It also showed me that the offspring can still make good hardcore-esque punk songs.

It also made me realize that their rock star days are probably over. They saw a surge from YGGFK, but it seems like most of their mainstream relevance is gone, especially with their record contract potentially over.

Okay, so now for my question. I remember an interview a while ago, Dexter said he always wanted to be a punk rocker, but somewhere along the way someone told him that he would have to change his style to more generic rock music to be successful, and he believed it. Well, they've been there and done that, to great success. Now, maybe they can throw that notion aside for the next album. I know that the offspring like all kinds of music, but their next album seems like the PERFECT time to record an album that brings back the hardcore energy of their early albums in a new way. They could sign with Epataph (probably), since their contract is over. I know that their music has evolved, I'm not hoping for another smash. I just think that the offspring could produce a legendary punk album right now, more than any time in the last 15 years, and they could do it their own way. They're too old for catchy pop singles like CC, which messed up DGB's whole shot at getting airplay.

What do you guys think? Is it plausible that the offspring could sign to an indy label and release a truely awesome punk album incorporating their new sound?

I think they'll have more freedom to do whatever they want from now on. However, their style won't be changing much cause, as they have said lots of times, they play the music they like. Another album like Days Go By with losts of different stuff would be awesome.
    Also, since Dexter is the owner of Nitro and since their departure from Epitaph wasn't on the best terms, I'm sure they won't be joining Epitaph. They'll either extend their contract with Columbia or be on their own with Nitro.

I'd like to see what hey could do on Nitro. I mean, since Dexter owns the level, they'd have complete artistic freedom, wouldn't they? I'm sure whatever they make if signed to Nitro would be the most pure Offspring music we've heard in a very long time.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

To be brutally honest, I am expecting a tenth album from The Offspring and Dexter (just incase ya read this) I hope you do provide us with a remarkable album in the future.

they will probably never put out a punk album again they make the music they want to make although im sure if they put out a album where all the songs sounded like dividing by zero and slim pickens it would get great reviews and a lot of people would be happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Eend View Post
    company really messed up the singles though, and i think the band wouldve done it differently if it was their choice.
    I don't

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I'd like to see what hey could do on Nitro. I mean, since Dexter owns the level, they'd have complete artistic freedom, wouldn't they? I'm sure whatever they make if signed to Nitro would be the most pure Offspring music we've heard in a very long time.
    Nitro can't handle a new offspring album they don't have the money for it also I think they had complete artistic freedom on Columbia
    Last edited by cool 2 hate 681; 01-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.

I think it's a bit of an exaggeration to say they've lost their mainstream relevance.

While poorly marketed, Days Go By still debut on #12 on the US Charts, and the lead single did pretty well. It's not as if they've suddenly become this obscure indie band again.

Would it be interesting if they returned to an indie album such as Weezer recently did? Sure. though, ultimately its still up to the band, and they do seem fairly happy with their current label. Plus it does seem pretty unlikely once you go through the potential indie ones they could go to:

___

Epitaph- large enough to handle their distribution but I don't think the band would want to return (ie, they had their time there and have since moved on - not to mention they ended on fairly poor terms even though they seem to be ok with Mr. Guerwitz now).

Fat Wrek - They manage to distribute NOFX albums pretty well (good sized punk band) but even then its still not quite big enough to handle a band the size of the Offspring- plus the Offspring have close relations with mainstream alt-rock radio and Fat stuff just doesn't get played.

Side One Dummy - Handled the Gaslight Anthem's 59 Sound (bigish album) but even then, one has to wonder if they'd have the resources to move and promote an Offspring record.

Sub Pop - The Offspring really don't fit in with their sound.

Fearless - Maybe, but again there are doubts of being able to handle a band like the Offspring due to logistical issues.

Fueled By Ramen - Could probably handle an Offspring record. Though the band doesn't really fit in with the labels other bands (ie Paramore and their peers, ect).

Nitro/self release - Has pretty much turned into a "back catalogue" label and haven't released anything new in years. Plus, the band themselves don't really seem all that interested in the "business" side of the record industry - they just seem to like recording and playing live shows.

__

there really aren't all that many viable options. There are of course a couple that could maybe work out, but that would be a bit of a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Nitro/self release - Has pretty much turned into a "back catalogue" label and haven't released anything new in years. Plus, the band themselves don't really seem all that interested in the "business" side of the record industry - they just seem to like recording and playing live shows.

__

there really aren't all that many viable options. There are of course a couple that could maybe work out, but that would be a bit of a stretch.
    I think they might be able to put something out on Nitro if they got help from another label like E1 Records or something? they did a pretty good job with the last Bush album I think

Quote Originally Posted by jacknife737 View Post
    Fueled By Ramen - Could probably handle an Offspring record. Though the band doesn't really fit in with the labels other bands (ie Paramore and their peers, ect).
    I think they could do a good job with a offspring album they don't really fit their roster but they have put out lots of stuff from radio bands like Paramore Fun Sublime With Rome Fall Out Boy and Panic at the Disco
    Last edited by cool 2 hate 681; 01-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Do they seriously not get played all that much elsewhere???

Their tunes are played a couple times a night on at least two local radio stations that I can think of and their singles always get played on the major pop station here... You'd think they'd have better luck selling tickets here than they do, but I guess hardly anyone has much luck selling tickets here. Maybe if they played in Myrtle Beach instead of Charlotte.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by cool 2 hate 681 View Post
    Nitro can't handle a new offspring album they don't have the money for it also I think they had complete artistic freedom on Columbia
    Oh, then they probably will just stay with Columbia. They've treated the band so well all these years, there's no reason they would stop now.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Yeah, I never got the impression from anything I've read about them, or interviews with the band, that they had any problems with Columbia. Not that they'd necessarily say so if they did, but I've never heard one negative word from them about the label, and didn't they re-sign with them after a few albums?

If Nitro was still a functioning label, I'm sure they could put out and distribute an Offspring album. The AFI records they did around 2000 probably sold more copies than "Days Go By".

SideOneDummy seems to be a popular label for punk bands previously signed to majors. As for Fat Wreck, Fat Mike has mentioned Offspring a few times over the years in interviews, and he never really seems to have anything nice to say.