Thread: Giant record companies in today's music industry

Default Giant record companies in today's music industry

Is the corporate influence on the music industry lessened now that MTV plays very little music (and seemingly no cable music network has replaced it and achieved good ratings) and radio is listened to much less?
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Or you could phrase that way more logically by asking

"Has the ability of large record companies to influence the market decreased with the rise of digitaŠ services and subscriptions?'

Because
    A) you can correlate that to a specific date.
    B) uh yeah, naturally, its a question that doesn't need to be asked. The real point of interest would be 'by how much or how little?'

Also MTV hasn't played much music since the 80s...

Edit: and here's an article that i spent way too much time looking for on the site I originally found, yet only a matter of seconds on google.
    Its also semi-relevant:
    http://www.uproxx.com/technology/201...usic-industry/
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 03-16-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Or you could phrase that way more logically by asking

"Has the ability of large record companies to influence the market decreased with the rise of digitaŠ services and subscriptions?'

Because
    A) you can correlate that to a specific date.
    B) uh yeah, naturally, its a question that doesn't need to be asked. The real point of interest would be 'by how much or how little?'

Also MTV hasn't played much music since the 80s...
    Situations where the listener is subjected to music that he/she did not select has decreased. Music fans are in this situation less and less.

You're MTV point isn't quite a fair point. MTV has changed dramatically in recent years. The difference is that now, MTV no longer has programs centered around music that get a large audience, whereas even 5 years ago they still did.

Yeah but even if MTV played music exclusively the point would be moot, MTV is not a highly watched channel outside of the teenage demographic, and thats just teenagers with access to cable and who, with so many channels, might watch MTV. MTV has never been as important as MTV thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Carly Rae Jepson and that god awful group Mumford and Sons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    Yeah but even if MTV played music exclusively the point would be moot, MTV is not a highly watched channel outside of the teenage demographic, and thats just teenagers with access to cable and who, with so many channels, might watch MTV. MTV has never been as important as MTV thinks it is.
    Not sure if what you're saying is true other than the teenage demographic thing. However, popular music in most media is dictated by that age group anyway. A quick google search for further info about your other points (ratings, influence) was no help, so I'll have to respond later.
    Last edited by bighead384; 03-16-2013 at 03:16 PM.