Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird Questions

I'm no expert in physics and I only know so much about biology, but I will give it my best shot. Take what I say here with a grain of salt. I don't think that a soft skeleton would absorb the force of impact, but since it is more flexible, I believe it would absorb less and radiate the energy off by bending. A calcified skeleton is flexible, but only to some degree, which is why we don't break out legs when jumping from a fairly high elevation. But the hard bones only have so much give before they snap. So a 'soft-skeletonned' animal will still die due to the force of impact on its organs, but its skeleton would likely stay more intact. This is only taking into account if the animal were dropped from a lethal height.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.
    https://twitter.com/PeteParada/statu...56317329436672
    Our official webpage: http://offspringunderground.com/

Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    I'm no expert in physics and I only know so much about biology, but I will give it my best shot. Take what I say here with a grain of salt. I don't think that a soft skeleton would absorb the force of impact, but since it is more flexible, I believe it would absorb less and radiate the energy off by bending. A calcified skeleton is flexible, but only to some degree, which is why we don't break out legs when jumping from a fairly high elevation. But the hard bones only have so much give before they snap. So a 'soft-skeletonned' animal will still die due to the force of impact on its organs, but its skeleton would likely stay more intact. This is only taking into account if the animal were dropped from a lethal height.
    Ouch.

Well, what am I doing at 9PM discussing science? Becoming more confused, that's what.

I'm off to rewrite history. Adieu.
    Quand ils ont dis "Vous vous asseyez," je me suis levé.

People can do 174 ft height without injury, so I'm guessing you could push it to 200 ft with humans and still survive.

Figuring out how high up you could drop a shark from would just be a matter of multiplying this number (200) based on how much the soft skeleton minimizes damage in this situation.

Insects can fall from great heights with minimal damage right? Perhaps the whales capacity to minimize damage in this situation is great, and the height is well above 1000 or 2000 ft.
    Last edited by bighead384; 02-08-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    People can do 174 ft height without injury, so I'm guessing you could push it to 200 ft with humans and still survive.

Figuring out how high up you could drop a shark from would just be a matter of multiplying this number (200) based on how much the soft skeleton minimizes damage in this situation.

Insects can fall from great heights with minimal damage right? Perhaps the whales capacity to minimize damage in this situation is great, and the height is well above 1000 or 2000 ft.
    I actually know some things about this! See how just before they hit the water, they drew their arms to their bodied and put their legs together? This was so their bodies incurred as little water resistance as possible to reduce the force of impact to their bodies. This means the water surface absorbed much less of their energy, so they opened their bodies after hitting the water to reduce the speed at which they sunk under the water. From that height, hitting the water any other way but how they did would result in catastrophic injury.

I'm taking a physical science course now and we are learning about acceleration, velocity, forces, and Newton's laws and stuff. I'll see if I can think something up in the next few weeks once we have learned more.

Insects can survive such high falls due to their exoskeletons and the tiny amount of mass in their bodies. I guess their exoskeletons are strong enough to survive them falling at terminal velocity.
    I said, "Hi, Greg. I'm the creepy girl." He chuckled, then wanted a handshake and I gave it. I wanted a hug and he gave it. One of his sons was there, too. Cute. Then Pete got him to autograph my sign for me because I was too polite to ask myself since he was on his way to eat. Pete also took this of photo of him holding it. - 8/2/2014.

Bighead, a person diving into the water in a very precise and practiced way is not at all comparable to how a whale or shark would hit the water. Also, I'd wager the larger the animal, the more damage is done and the shorter distance it can fall, generally.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    Bighead, a person diving into the water in a very precise and practiced way is not at all comparable to how a whale or shark would hit the water. Also, I'd wager the larger the animal, the more damage is done and the shorter distance it can fall, generally.
    True, but if you drop a hundred whales or sharks from helicopters, a certain percentage of them are going to land in a favorable way.

I wonder what is the lightest mammal with a cartilaginous skeleton? Probably a ray or skate, but they'd be unlikely to land properly.
    Last edited by bighead384; 02-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

We should test this. Anyone have 100 whales and a helicopter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jojan View Post
    So really, The Offspring is only Ron. The rest of the band left. O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    For selfish reasons, I hope he's really dead. I really don't want to become known as "That guy who keeps making premature death threads for ethnic-looking dudes."

Lemme call up Sea World and the Whale Adoption Project. I also might have one in my back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    True, but if you drop a hundred whales or sharks from helicopters, a certain percentage of them are going to land in a favorable way.

I wonder what is the lightest mammal with a cartilaginous skeleton? Probably a ray or skate, but they'd be unlikely to land properly.
    All mammals have calcified skeletons. We only have cartilaginous skeletons in the embryonic stage, before the bones calcify. Also, we have cartilage in our noses and ears, not to mention between our joints and spinal discs.

Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    We should test this. Anyone have 100 whales and a helicopter?
    Check any Walmart, there have been numerous whale sightings. I doubt many would be missed if the plan does not go well.