Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm sober for over a year now!

1 members appreciate this post.

Default I'm sober for over a year now!

Hello. My name is David and I was on my way to become a serious alcoholic. Yep, I'm damn serious. I haven't posted in a while, maybe because my life has gotten more awesome and I didn't spend that much of my time on the internets as I used to. I guess almost all of you didn't even know I stopped drinking at the beginning of february 2012. Well, now you know!

Now a short backstory about my drinking problem: I was drinking actively for, I don't know, like 10 years(from 16 to 26). The last years were really getting more and more tragic and I was getting panic attacks when I didn't have booze the next day after a night out. It wasn't so painful at first but as days went by(haha), I was feeling like I was really getting addicted to the stuff, in the last few months before I stopped I even couldn't get on a bus until I had at least one beer, and yes I know how ridiculous that sounds. I got real problems at school, studying for 8 years and no degree(don't get me started on that). And I won't even talk about my poor attempts at relationships and even those were very rare. A lot of my close friends and even my family were talking to me how I am wasting my talent and turning into something really bad. I didn't listen to them that much, sometimes I felt I could never stop drinking. In January 2012, I was drunk every day for the whole month and failed all my exams at school that I had that month(was a bit drunk on them too). When January was ending, I stopped to drink for 2 days because I wanted to finally take my school responsibly. Two days without booze resulted in an epileptic attack, something horrible which I'm glad I don't remember, and the doctors in the hospital told me that my liver isn't in a good shape and that I should never drink again.

And now the brighter part. I was recovering very quickly, maybe the first month was the hardest but I had something like a girlfriend then(which later turned out to be a nymphomaniac slut and dumped me in april) and I also had a lot of support from my family and friends(even though some didn't believe me). As time passed, I learned to have fun without the booze. I started going to pubs and even concerts while drinking some cola. It was incredible! I felt like I had a lot of more fun when I was sober, I unleashed the "crazy and funny side of me" without drinking anything, that was a great accomplishment and I felt like I was 18 again. I learned to be with people who drink and not to have any problems with it at all. Now I have an absolute habit not to drink. I even went to five festivals in the summer, sober all the time and the music experience was awesome while sober! Moshing while sober, singing while sober, even with my own music projects I never felt so alive. And guess what: My liver is now in a great shape(after some tests)! I even started getting better at school in september, and also met a girl which became my girlfriend in november. It's the greatest relationship I've ever had and finally a real one and a normal one(the previous ones are hard to call relationships imho) which lasts until now and surely it will last very, very long. And it looks like this year I will finally finish my school. Life has never been better for me! I have a great and REAL girlfriend, I'm finally finishing school(a lot of successful exams are behind me), I'm having a lot of more fun while sober. I just wanted to share this happiness with all of you guys, this is maybe my most open post here.

What do I need to recommend to you? I don't recommend anything, everyone is different while handling alcohol. Some people can drink their whole life and have a great life. The stuff just wasn't for me personally anymore. And I feel great. Greetings guys! That might be all
    Last edited by dff_punk; 02-11-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.

1 members appreciate this post.

Wow, David, super happy for you, man! I know you were trying to stop drinking, but I had no idea how bad it was. Serious congratulations!!

"As time passed, I learned to have fun without the booze. I started going to pubs and even concerts while drinking some cola. It was incredible! I felt like I had a lot of more fun when I was sober, I unleashed the "crazy and funny side of me" without drinking anything, that was a great accomplishment and I felt like I was 18 again. I learned to be with people who drink and not to have any problems with it at all. Now I have an absolute habit not to drink. I even went to five festivals in the summer, sober all the time and the music experience was awesome while sober! Moshing while sober, singing while sober, even with my own music projects I never felt so alive."

That's pretty much exactly what Matt Riddle told me when I met him a year ago. He had to give up alcohol due to his hospitalization and near-death experience (which was caused by drinking), and he said life was so much more awesome (though sometimes very difficult) without booze.

Seriously, keep it up!
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

congratulations man!!! im glad to hear you are doing better

I really had no idea it was this serious, either. But it's awesome to hear that you managed to get your act together and are now doing great, there are many that try to pull it off and fail. So respect to you, my friend!

I hope your first experience of sobering up wasn't as hard as when the respected Father Hackett got sober

Well done, David I'm glad to hear that you have straightened out your life and that things have worked out for the better. I do remember you talking about having panic attacks and once, when you were in no state to meet the band. It is a good thing, that these days are behind you now and that you won't be missing out anymore, on awesome experiences.
    Last edited by Blitz!; 02-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.

I'm really glad to hear this, David. Just don't ever slip, kay? Alcoholism is a never ending battle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

So you're now like high on being sober. Cool. Hope it'll stay like that long for you, or at least forever for your liver.

Way to go David, never realized you had a drinking problem. Great to see you've found the strength to get yourself out of it! We'll drink a coke together next time we meet!
    * !

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Whoa. Like others have said, I had no idea it got to that point. One of the big things I know about you is that you like your drink, so I now need to recalibrate my brain! I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for sober people, so I give you a hearty congratulations! I'm glad you are able to appreciate the novelty of familiar activities as a sober guy. I envy that a little bit, and always wondered what it's like to get something new out of a thing I've done a thousand times before. May the feeling never end. I'm crazy proud of you, and remember to take it one day at a time!
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Thank you everyone for the nice words, I liked reading each one of them! Yeah I know that most of you guys had no idea, I was never this open on the BBS I might have given slight hints some years ago while frequently posting in the drunk thread, haha. Anyway, at first I was thinking maybe I could after some time try to have something again(moderately of course), but the more I'm sober and the more I see some people getting wasted and not solving anything(rather doing the opposite), the more I'm starting to despise drinking. I'm good now and I may not ever have a drink ever again, and that is saying something Thanks again!
    Burn it up because you do not call ignition ............ Because ignition is born green and then ripens and becomes burn it up, which is yellow, then darkens and becomes a song that has yet to be published and will appear in a collection of b-sides and brown nell'accezione this song is a song from the session discarded of ignition.