Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Semantics: I know where you're coming from

My husband hates the word "moist"as well and my sister hates the word "dollop"with a passion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    "I know where you're coming from". I hate that phrasing...

This is something that has bothered me for a while. Does anyone agree that is an irritating phrase?
    This is fucking stupid. All it means is that the one person has some basic understanding about the other persons experience or subject matter. The subject is relateable. It does not mean, nor is it meant to mean, you have walked in their shoes and have the exact same experience. Know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    My husband hates the word "moist"as well and my sister hates the word "dollop"with a passion.
    Dollop is so underused. It's so onomatopoeic that I can't help but love it!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    This is fucking stupid. All it means is that the one person has some basic understanding about the other persons experience or subject matter. The subject is relateable. It does not mean, nor is it meant to mean, you have walked in their shoes and have the exact same experience. Know what I mean?
    This is one of those times where either skimming the thread or not posting at all would be the wisest options. Your explanation didn't cover his confusion whatsoever, and we've already sorted out what he was actually confused about.
    Last edited by Llamas; 02-28-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

No, I pretty much nailed it. The other replies made it confusing.

I've been thinking about making a thread kind of similar to what this has become for a while. I wanted to discuss words or phrases that bother you or you choose not to say for whatever reason.

I, for example, have words I find very unpleasant sounding like cigarette and pussy. Of course, there are plenty of words like retard, faggot, and bitch I don't use because they are inherently offensive and demeaning. I don't say bathroom, no idea why, but I always say restroom, none of those silly nicknames either. I'm not big on nicknames at all, really. I feel like I had a lot of material for this at one point, but I can't seem to think of any of my language quirks at the moment.

llamas, maybe you have some perspective or an opinion on this. I witnessed an argument about whether or not the use of the word 'female' when referring to women is derogatory and sexists.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I've been thinking about making a thread kind of similar to what this has become for a while. I wanted to discuss words or phrases that bother you or you choose not to say for whatever reason.

I, for example, have words I find very unpleasant sounding like cigarette and pussy. Of course, there are plenty of words like retard, faggot, and bitch I don't use because they are inherently offensive and demeaning. I don't say bathroom, no idea why, but I always say restroom, none of those silly nicknames either. I'm not big on nicknames at all, really. I feel like I had a lot of material for this at one point, but I can't seem to think of any of my language quirks at the moment.
    I've taken to skipping both "bathroom" and "restroom" (they often don't have baths, and I really don't go there to rest) for the much more logical "toilet", as the Brits say. I'm not really sure why I use the words I do - someone just pointed out on FB that I use "flat" now instead of "apartment"... but I still say "elevator" instead of "lift"... sometimes I say pants, and other times I say trousers. I think I lean more toward trousers, though, because I think "pants" is a better word for "underwear" (again, dem Brits...) I hate all words for what women wear under their trousers (panties, underwear... ugh), but "pants" is nice, so I guess I prefer the British style there. I also hate all words for "vagina". There are no good words for it. Pussy, cunt, (and countless more) are all so ugly and crass... "vagina" is too medical (and still ugly). Haven't found a solution on that one.

llamas, maybe you have some perspective or an opinion on this. I witnessed an argument about whether or not the use of the word 'female' when referring to women is derogatory and sexists.
    You mean, like if a man says, "Females are so confusing" or "I talked to a lot of females"?

I wouldn't go so far as to call it derogatory or sexist, but damn if a guy talks that way, I'm quick to assume he's got some deep-seated problems with women. It's fucking weird, and like he's trying to put distance between himself and women - like he's using a term that doesn't apply only to women and is used more often in science to almost make it like she's not human. It's odd, because I never hear women doing the reverse "Males are so confusing", "I talked to a lot of males." It's just awkward. Fuck, it's awkward all around, and yes, I will call a guy out for using it. But again, I don't think it is sexist or derogatory - it can be based on context (when a sexist man wants to be sexist, he's more likely to say, "Females are such sluts and bitches" than "Women are such sluts and bitches", for sure), but not always.

I say cooter instead of vagina. It makes my junk sound less unpleasant. I also say junk or va-jay-jay. I say the latter, only because it amuses me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    I say cooter instead of vagina. It makes my junk sound less unpleasant. I also say junk or va-jay-jay. I say the latter, only because it amuses me.
    All three of those are just as unsexy and ugly as the others. I disapprove of every single word I've ever heard for it. None of them sound pleasant or sexy.

How about slop house, sperm shack or grease pit?

.....pole pit, jack trap or sausage hugger?

Like? Yes...no?

Never let it be said that MOTO is not a touchy feely, romantic kind of guy. I care about your clam houses.