Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Should liberals be "nice" people?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,132


    Default

    Being nice is a great ideal. Not any type of true accross the board reality. Be nice and care for those who truely cannot care for themselves. Everyone else is either feeding or being fed upon.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default

    "Liberal" is being used in so many different ways that I don't know what it means anymore. I see it being used as a bad word, especially by bighead. What do you mean with "liberal", bighead? And why do you just ask whether "liberals" should be nice instead of everyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fuckin' Bible belt....
    Posts
    1,361


    Default

    I dunno, shouldn't moralistic self-identified "conservatives" be a little nicer, considering that they claim to have access to the one absolutely correct moral code? Shouldn't they come across as a little more fulfilled by their own lifestyle (it is the One True Way To Live Correctly, after all, shouldn't it be more positive and attractive?), and a little less grouchy-grampa angry old white man yearning for the good ol' days when blacks and wimmins couldn't vote and everyone was Christian and nobody could get enough money or power to dispute the white male conservative mindset?

    That brings up the issue of what you mean by "nice," though; I try to be "nice" in the sense that I try to refrain from calling names or just blatant character assassination, but I don't think that necessarily equates to being nice in the sense of not wanting to offend or hurt anyone's feelings. If you genuinely believe that what someone is doing is morally or ethically wrong, then it seems consistent that you would value your position in that case above that person's feelings. For example, if you think that someone trying to block blacks and/or women from voting is making a hugely immoral dick move, then I don't see any reason why you would prioritize not hurting that person's feelings over actually doing something to stop them --- if I had a choice between solving a problem and not pissing someone off, I'd solve the problem every time.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,369


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Static_Martyr View Post
    I dunno, shouldn't moralistic self-identified "conservatives" be a little nicer, considering that they claim to have access to the one absolutely correct moral code? Shouldn't they come across as a little more fulfilled by their own lifestyle (it is the One True Way To Live Correctly, after all, shouldn't it be more positive and attractive?), and a little less grouchy-grampa angry old white man yearning for the good ol' days when blacks and wimmins couldn't vote and everyone was Christian and nobody could get enough money or power to dispute the white male conservative mindset?

    That brings up the issue of what you mean by "nice," though; I try to be "nice" in the sense that I try to refrain from calling names or just blatant character assassination, but I don't think that necessarily equates to being nice in the sense of not wanting to offend or hurt anyone's feelings. If you genuinely believe that what someone is doing is morally or ethically wrong, then it seems consistent that you would value your position in that case above that person's feelings. For example, if you think that someone trying to block blacks and/or women from voting is making a hugely immoral dick move, then I don't see any reason why you would prioritize not hurting that person's feelings over actually doing something to stop them --- if I had a choice between solving a problem and not pissing someone off, I'd solve the problem every time.
    I mean nice in everyday life. Being a generally nice, kind person. I'm not talking about a situations where you literally encounter someone who is advocating something terrible.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,452


    Default

    I don't think they have to be related at all. I want everyone to have the same rights, but I don't necessarily want to be nice to them.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 03-11-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,369


    Default

    But say you advocate welfare policy that, in many cases, gives people who made bad decisions a second chance in life. The inspiration behind advocating this policy would be that you are a caring person who is concerned about the well-being of others and society as a whole. This particular belief is not really a "right", it's just the belief that it is a moral imperative to help the needy. So, wouldn't the inspiration to support this kind of welfare policy also inspire you to be a nice, kind person in everyday life? Because isn't it true that kind people are beneficial to society?

    Also, if you were to disagree with this, then would you also say that there is nothing wrong with aggressively supporting altruistic public policy but being unkind and not nice at all?
    Last edited by bighead384; 03-11-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,452


    Default

    There is nothing wrong with supporting altruistic public policy, while being unkind and not nice at all.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,369


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    There is nothing wrong with supporting altruistic public policy, while being unkind and not nice at all.
    But wouldn't you say that the motivations for being altruistic and being a kind person are similar?
    Last edited by bighead384; 03-11-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,056


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I mean nice in everyday life. Being a generally nice, kind person. I'm not talking about a situations where you literally encounter someone who is advocating something terrible.
    The problem is that "nice" is entirely subjective, while specific laws are objective.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I don't think they have to be related at all. I want everyone to have the same rights, but I don't necessarily want to be nice to them.
    I do agree with this. If I met a gay black woman who was unemployed because she was laid off, and she was also an obnoxious, self-absorbed drama queen, I'd fight for her equality as gay, as black, and as a woman; I'd fight for her ability to have social support while she tries to find another job; I wouldn't be nice to her on a personal level because I don't like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg/The GTA
    Posts
    5,784


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    If you're fighting for altruistic principals to be applied to public policy, shouldn't you at least be a fairly nice person?
    The flaw in this logic is that you're assuming that most "liberals" (by this i'm going to assume you mean leftists/progressives) embrace their public policy beliefs out of altruism, where many may in fact do so out of a pragmatic self interest. Ie they believe that the government's welfare state is simply much better at providing services than a private corporation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •