Thread: "Office Culture"

Default "Office Culture"

I've had an office job for about 7 months and I had one before that. I've decided that I hate it. I can't stand the fakeness and the schmoozing that you need to do to be successful. I hate the way everyone who establishes themselves in this environment learns how to end every conservation with a lame one-liner that sends the person they are speaking with away with a fake laugh. It takes much more than professionalism to succedd in this environment. To succeed in the office environment, it seems you literally need to master all the bullshit that is a part of office culture as well.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I've worked factories and warehouses for the past few years. Only just NOW have I started working in an office (I'm an interpreter, its fucking awesome.)

Working in an office is awesome though. Video games, email and facebook at my fingertips? No one keeps track of my breaks or even where I am? Its possible sometimes to do my job at home? Doing this for a lifetime won't wear my joints down so they're unusable by the age of 60? Sign me the fuck up!

And Christ if you didn't learn how to be a good bullshitter in high school then you wasted your years getting good grades from hard work, or bad grades from little work.

And really 'master' is a strong term, most people are simply adequate bullshitters. A large part of the working day (the bad jokes, the false cheeriness) are all designed to make the day go-faster for you and your collegues. But there's always some angsty new guy who isn't interested in anything but himself.
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 03-25-2013 at 04:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Yeah there's always that. Unfortunately being honest about my productivity would've made for a more boring post. And really you can seriously ask the question 'is an interpreter truly productive?'

Cause the answer is no. I add nothing, I just translate. Not a negative thing, nor a small task, just not very productive. On the other hand, more satisfying than actually being productive in the other jobs I mentioned earlier.

How are you Maria? I was surprised to see you had returned. Hope life is treating you well and that you can avoid missing two hours of work due to police statements, though if you must, for your sake I hope you can make it to work fast enough to enthrall your collegues with the tale.

Well why not? It'd be the talk of the office for AT LEAST a decade.

Where have you moved to? Surely not Eastern Europe. Hopefully your Beau Brummel is not Bulgarian as we have a big game against them. Also never did wrap my head around how to pronouncee the cyrillic 'b'. You mist have known him for quite a while to learn to type cyrillics! And where do you work? And what do you do?

As for me, I translate between Danish and Indian accountants as the former train the latter to replace them. Really weird. Wages and talk of them are a taboo in Denmark, so I will say I make a decent Danish salary for a temp. Unfortunately if anyone makes the French look industrious, its the Danish working day. I work from 08.00-16.00. And like the French I'm blessed with an hour for lunch! (Strangely this a requirement from the Indian side, Danes usually have a lunch break of 30 min..)

EDIT: well that was surprisingly quick, Maria. :/

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    But there's always some angsty new guy who isn't interested in anything but himself.
    This so ignorant and arrogant. And no, I didn't just think of those two words because they sound similar. It's like you're taking a behavior (being awkward or "angsty" at work) that can be motivated by so many different pressures, and going out of your way to see it in the most dick way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    This so ignorant and arrogant. And no, I didn't just think of those two words because they sound similar. It's like you're taking a behavior (being awkward or "angsty" at work) that can be motivated by so many different pressures, and going out of your way to see it in the most dick way possible.
    Or it's like we're taking the last year of your thread-starting and running 'commentary' on life and seeing your statements in that light. And then gently mocking you with it.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Or it's like we're taking the last year of your thread-starting and running 'commentary' on life and seeing your statements in that light. And then gently mocking you with it.
    Nah, that sucks.

Maybe you should just quit whining about my posts, that might've helped convince me you weren't "awkward and angsty".

Especially since you are complaining about your job in a period of high unemployment, in THAT context you're beyond angsty, you're self-entitled and spoiled.

Depends on the role you have within the office, I guess. I've only ever worked offices and retail, and I'd take the former as a work environment anyday. Any occupation has total dickfaces.