View Poll Results: Does your copy of The Offspring (ST) have Kill The President?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    23 92.00%
  • No

    2 8.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Does your copy of The Offspring (ST) have Kill The President?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Cascadian Exile
    Posts
    19,600


    1 members appreciate this post.

    Default Does your copy of The Offspring (ST) have Kill The President?

    As far as I understand, the song was removed after 9/11 because that was a shitty decade for self-imposed (or otherwise) censorship.

    I also learned that the original cover of the album looks awesome. Apparently Nitro thought blurry silhouettes were cooler than xenomorph's and exploding heads. Now I kinda hate my copy, even though I thankfully bought it before they removed a song from an already short album.

    I guess we can't all win. Looking all this stuff up makes me want to hear RAFRAG a little. Hmmm, I'll check if it's part of my ISP's music package dealio. Later. So were you cool enough to like the offspring before they sold out?*

    *this is meant tongue in cheek because posts like this were extremely common when I first joined this bbs, as was bragging about how long you were a fan, and how you liked their older, indie stuff best. Ah we've all been horrible hipsters. 14 years ago I would've never believed that Americana would be my favorite Offspring album (it totally is now, its a solid album), I consider it one of the best rock albums of the 90s. Its aged pretty well compared to its contemporaries.

    EDIT: Only two options, if your vote doesn't fit in one of these, its because your vote is irrelevant. Feel free to share your story in a reply though if your story is "I don't own ST" your story is also irrelevant, unless you have an interesting reason.
    Last edited by wheelchairman; 04-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,555


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    *this is meant tongue in cheek because posts like this were extremely common when I first joined this bbs, as was bragging about how long you were a fan, and how you liked their older, indie stuff best. Ah we've all been horrible hipsters. 14 years ago I would've never believed that Americana would be my favorite Offspring album (it totally is now, its a solid album), I consider it one of the best rock albums of the 90s. Its aged pretty well compared to its contemporaries.

    EDIT: Only two options, if your vote doesn't fit in one of these, its because your vote is irrelevant. Feel free to share your story in a reply though if your story is "I don't own ST" your story is also irrelevant, unless you have an interesting reason.
    Lame cover but yes I have Kill The President. I also remember those times where certain members thought we should have a "test" to see if you were a big enough "fan" to be allowed to join. Man there were some serious douche bags around back then. good times eh?

    (And I totally agree! I know this is total Blasphemy but I love certain songs on Ignition and Smash and totally skip other songs but America I almost always listen through everything)

    EDIT: Then again... I was also the guy back then in the sell out arguments that always responded "So What?" haha so obviously that's just my personal preference/opinion

    EDIT2: This post makes me feel old

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Huddinge, Stockholm
    Posts
    8,584


    Default

    Five out of my six copies of the album have it. The track was however removed before the 11/9 attacks.
    Last edited by Jojan; 04-05-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan für den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer låter bra.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Vodka Belt
    Posts
    3,270


    Default

    My original copy which I bought in 2005 had not Kill the President on. I wanted a copy with the song on, so I bought a used CD on eBay for like £3 with the song on. So now I do have a copy with the song on.

    I agree with WCM that the artwork of the re-issue is lame in comparison to the original one. And like Jojan said, the song was removed before 9/11. It was removed because the FBI came knocking on their door (literally), and told them that they could not practice free speech, so the band was forced to remove the song.

    And WCM, you are wrong to think Americana is the best record. Ignition is by far their best. It has nothing to do with it being indie (heh like Epitaph is an indie label).
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    992


    Default

    Did you buy the record prior to 2001?

    I bought mine in 1996, so mine has it.


    BTW if anyone wants the mp3, lmk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    319


    Default

    I bought mine for £6 on Amazon a few months ago and it has Kill The President on it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    4,401


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    It was removed because the FBI came knocking on their door (literally), and told them that they could not practice free speech, so the band was forced to remove the song.
    Really? Where did u hear that? I remember at one point talking to Dexter about this, but I don't recall him mentioning a visit from da feds... hm...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    475


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    It was removed because the FBI came knocking on their door (literally), and told them that they could not practice free speech, so the band was forced to remove the song.
    Uhh.. I don't think that's right. I've never heard of this before.

    Anyways, my copy has Kill The President. I too also bought it before 2001. It'd be nice have a re-issue vinyl with the original 1989 cover though. That was some sick artwork.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Another Pilot Down: The Artwork of George Gonzalez
    website | blog | facebook | twitter | deviantart

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Winnipeg/The GTA
    Posts
    5,784


    Default

    Yep: i think I bought mine in like June of 2001, so I was pretty close to the alteration date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    3,140


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    And WCM, you are wrong to think Americana is the best record. Ignition is by far their best. It has nothing to do with it being indie (heh like Epitaph is an indie label).
    Telling people their opinions is wrong is always a good way to make friends. Keep it up!

    Just because of that, I'm gonna listen to Americana and I'm also gonna clean my apartment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •