View Poll Results: Does your copy of The Offspring (ST) have Kill The President?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 92.00%
  • No

2 8.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does your copy of The Offspring (ST) have Kill The President?

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    And like Jojan said, the song was removed before 9/11. It was removed because the FBI came knocking on their door (literally), and told them that they could not practice free speech, so the band was forced to remove the song.

Full of shit, you are, yyeessss. Says Yoda.

Although, yeah, it came off before 9/11.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    Really? Where did u hear that? I remember at one point talking to Dexter about this, but I don't recall him mentioning a visit from da feds... hm...
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperKnux View Post
    Uhh.. I don't think that's right. I've never heard of this before.
    Whoops, I confused Kill the President with Leathermouth's I Am Going to Kill the President of the United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Frank Iero recently said in an interview with Alternative Press, the Secret Service paid him a visit regarding his song "I Am Going to Kill the President of the United States of America." He explained that he wrote it when he was touring overseas with My Chemical Romance. He saw Anti-American rallies everyday, and explained that he wrote it from the protester's point of view. The Secret Service told him if he rereleased the song or ever played the song live again that he would be sentenced to five years in prison.
    I can imagine The Offspring dropped Kill the Preisdent for the same reason as it was removed "to prevent legal pressure falling upon the band and Nitro". It does not seem to be a willing decision by the band but rather them being "forced" by American government officials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

That, or they simply decided that the song they wrote in their teens/early twenties was no longer appropriate for their album. There is always that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

1 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    That, or they simply decided that the song they wrote in their teens/early twenties was no longer appropriate for their album. There is always that option.
    In fact, I remember them saying that explicitly in an interview that I read. Though I feel like I shouldn't be saying it, because I have no idea when or where it was.

Oh and yeah, my copy has Kill The President (probably my favorite song from the album). Bought in 1995, I think.
    My myoosik:

The SRIs: (Thread)(Soundcloud)
    McFear: (Thread)(Soundcloud)

Quote Originally Posted by _Lost_ View Post
    Yeah, this seems the most likely explanation. People's beliefs change over time,something that may have seemed funny/edgy in your early 20s may just seem stupid by your mid 30s.
    Last edited by jacknife737; 04-07-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

The ST album was given to me for my 13th birthday or something like that (I am 20 now), so it does not have Kill The President, though I do have it as an mp3 file. I'll search for a copy that has it on Amazon sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by hshduppsnt View Post
    Lame cover but yes I have Kill The President. I also remember those times where certain members thought we should have a "test" to see if you were a big enough "fan" to be allowed to join. Man there were some serious douche bags around back then. good times eh?

(And I totally agree! I know this is total Blasphemy but I love certain songs on Ignition and Smash and totally skip other songs but America I almost always listen through everything)

EDIT: Then again... I was also the guy back then in the sell out arguments that always responded "So What?" haha so obviously that's just my personal preference/opinion

EDIT2: This post makes me feel old
    Borro gomsho dickhole! You're such a poser! (the worst insult of the day, poser, and some term I've now forgotten.) They were certainly simpler times, back when the internet was pretty much useless and definitely not a source of information.

Can't say I remember the test, but I do remember liking Ignition as being a sign of good taste. I mean obviously it was their best album Btw, respond to your Academic thread, I decided to use it for personal messaging.

As for the topic, "Kill the president" is not an opinion. It's a command used in a song-title. Though you have to be insane to believe that its an actual literal message. That is the problem with whether it was actively censored by the government, or passively censored through another means. And I think removing a song because you grew older is a lame excuse, if an author edited a book because he grew older and didn't like what he wrote enough, it'd be criminal. That kind of editing is Greedo shooting first, every time. I don't want to get all Naked Lunch - exterminate all rational thought on you - but this kind of self-editing is bad. (Btw, that's a fucked up movie, best enjoyed on a completely superficial level.) But yeah I saw that it was before 9/11 (actually wiki'ed the album out of curiosity!). I'm gonna blame George W. Bush, because that was the only fun activity that came out of his disastrous and incompetent terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

One of my copies has Kill The President on it. I wasn't a fan until 2005, so I never really had a chance to buy the KTP version of S/T. I remember when I started buying all the albums (being like, 12 at the time, and being a member of this BBS around that time, it felt like I had some catching up to do to everyone else ), I didn't know why I couldn't find Self Titled with Kill The President on it, I didn't know it had been removed. So I bought it, life went on until a year or 2 ago, and I wandered into a used/new record store downtown. I remember seeing a bunch of somewhat "rare" CDs from a bunch of bands while just browsing, so the old fanboy in me said "Why don't you go check that Offspring section?" Walked over, found a ST with Kill The President on it It was the first time I felt that stoked on buying something from the Offspring since I became a fan haha That record store has served me pretty well, Recently I found a Million Miles Away single, 2 different versions of Pretty Fly for a White Guy, and a bunch of old RHCP cds (not remastered in 2003 editions) Without being able to buy things online, it's my best bet for rarities I gotta make a trip back, it seems in order.
    Check out my music -> Random Goods

I can't believe you joined the bbs at the age of 12, and now you're an adult. Have I been gone that long? (I mean i was 12 when I joined as well, but that was back in 2000 or 2001 (oooh 4 years earlier, thats like 2 decades in internet years), whenever the bbs was red, white and a pain in the ass bold or italicize your writing. Still talk about lucky, you will never have that treasure-hunters pleasure when buying a rare album online, so appreciate it now while you're forced to.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

I have 3 S/Ts. A cassette, bought in 1999. That one has Kill the President (obviously), a CD bought in 2001 (in March or so) that is so fucked up it doesn't play anymore and a CD bought in 2008 that doesn't have Kill the President. It doesn't even have the front cover because some assfuck spilled beer on it in Terchová. But it still plays well.