Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: News on the next album and label change

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    I held out with hope for Nitro for a while, but I think their last release that gained any kind of significant response was A Wilhelm Scream in late 2007. And beyond that, there's been either nothing or maybe one or two obscure releases. And I think they randomly signed one band "Stormy California" a year or two ago, but that's the only band they've signed recently. And even that signing appears to have gone nowhere. At this point, just forget Nitro Records.

Nitro's legacy is nothing more than a label that did okay at supporting mostly the skate punk-ish scene that extended out of the 90s. It seemed promising for a time, but looking back, it kind of tanked quickly.
    It was a niche label: but there's nothing wrong with that; most of the best labels are. And I'd say in terms of "legacy" AFI comes to mind pretty quickly.

The music industry these days is pretty shitty from a business perspective; these indie labels really have to be just a labor of love/effort. I think Dexter just got interested in other things that excited him more (flying , hot sauce, returning to academics). But some pretty fantastic bands came through Nitro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Nitro's legacy is nothing more than a label that did okay at supporting mostly the skate punk-ish scene that extended out of the 90s. It seemed promising for a time, but looking back, it kind of tanked quickly.
    Nitro had a good run it was an active label from 1994 to 2006 that's longer then a lot of punk labels

1 members appreciate this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It'd be cool if they released new stuff on Nitro, even though that would imply less commercial success when compared to, say, Epitaph or bigger record labels (not that I really care, but I'd be happy if The Offspring had some kind of mainstream success again).
    I was kinda thinking the same thing. It's such a shame that The Offspring don't get the recognition they deserve anymore, but I'm sure they'll become popular again one day, even when they're on an indie label or major label. Something like that happened to Pearl Jam - their Backspacer album was released on an indie label and it reached #1. I hope The Offspring's next album will reach #1 on either the Independent Albums chart if it's going to be released on an indie label.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I'm taking this "early stages of making a new record" with a grain of salt. they got a couple of B-lists that didnt make it onto DGB, but I doubt theres much written or recorded beyond that.
    Before you clowns go yelling at me for not citing my "sources" let me remind you that Im basing this opinion on the past precedent of how the band operates. Ive never known them to do much writing or recording while on tour.

I agree with Dex that it probably doesnt make sense to be on a major. Lets be honest, all they have to do is copyright their music and throw it on youtube and itunes and we'll buy it.

All these people talking about maybe they'll go back to epitaph or fat wreck have probably grossly overlooked some of the contractual issues that arose in the mid 90s. Thats not going to happen. Something like Fueled By Ramen might happen.

Dexter has a bit of a history with this "free agent" status thing. He I believe was a big supporter or founder of an organization (dont recall the name) that was trying to get the industry to recognize artists more like actors, who can jump around to any studio they want (highest bidder).
    So what I actually imagine happening, is Dexter starting a label. Yes, he already has Nitro.
    Not a label like we currently know labels, but a label that takes the labels out of the equation. Essentially, an apparatus that allows bands to promote their recordings through digital means. Probably resulting in the death of CDs. But yeah, thats what I picture happening.

Just make a torrent.

I can actually see them doing a torrent. The label was a major part in them not releasing Conspiracy Of One for free. Then again, it's likely that their attitudes on that sort of thing have changed over 13 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera View Post
    If two guys loving Offspring together is wrong, I don't want anything to be right.

Quote Originally Posted by 0r4ng3 View Post
    I can actually see them doing a torrent. The label was a major part in them not releasing Conspiracy Of One for free. Then again, it's likely that their attitudes on that sort of thing have changed over 13 years.
    I was kinda thinking the same thing. If The Offspring decide to do what Radiohead did, you know this "let fans pay what they want" thing when they made In Rainbows, I'd pay them at least more than 10 dollars or with the money I receive when I get paid from my job.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

Guys, In Rainbows was so many years ago, and it was an experiment. And it failed. Radiohead never did do it again, did they. Just because something seemed like an interesting idea 6 or 7 years ago doesn't mean it's going to fly now.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Guys, In Rainbows was so many years ago, and it was an experiment. And it failed. Radiohead never did do it again, did they. Just because something seemed like an interesting idea 6 or 7 years ago doesn't mean it's going to fly now.
    Radiohead actually released The King of Limbs as an MP3 download, but if memory serves, they probably didn't repeat this "let fans pay what they want" thing.

Just about every band gives away an MP3 in exchange for an email address.
    I am part of a degenerate elite
    Dragging our society into the street