Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what do you do in your free time?

Things I do in my free time

1) Read. I love reading.
    2) I either come on here (which I haven't lately) or Facebook
    3) Bowl
    4) Hang out with friends
    5) Shop
    6)Watch movies/tv
    7) Listen to music/ go to concerts
    8)Go to the gym
    9) Drink
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 04-26-2013 at 11:22 AM.

I like having hobbies.

I write, mostly - that's probably the biggest one. I am writing a webcomic over at http://doppelgangercomic.net with a friend of mine illustrating. It's fun and casual and to be honest it didn't start off that well but I think we're starting to find a good rhythm.

I also write short stories from time to time, and I'm currently editing the first full-length book I've ever written. It's... alright. Well, it might be alright. It's certainly not great, I'm afraid.

The writing has become more of a priority recently as I head out of graduate school and realize I'd like it to be a larger part of my life.

Otherwise I run, climb and write music. Other than hanging out with friends, dating, and meeting my work and school commitments, that's pretty much been life at this point.

Whatever strikes my fancy beyond that, I tend to go for. I started learning to play the piano earlier this year, but didn't have the time for it and it's now on hold. I picked up CSS and HTML when I had the time and I'm making my way through javascript now, just to have basic competence at that level. I also learned to lockpick and shim locks when I had a few spare moments. So yeah - whatever seems interesting.

And, lest my favorite hobby be omitted, I like to drink.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Two or three times a week I do archery, and have competed a few times as well.

I'm trying to get a bit more into hiking/mountain climbing, now that the weather is getting slightly less miserable.

I like exploring abandoned houses - impressive ones, like old Anglo-Irish mansions and castles. I also like reading up about historic homes and 'pin' ones I find interesting/beautiful here http://pinterest.com/alicunt/historic-homes/ I feel genuinely sad when I see beautiful houses that have been demolished.

I also enjoy researching bestiaries and other strange Old and Medieval things, and attempting to come up with a research topic for a PhD.

And boring stuff that I do: read (lots), paint, sit at the computer for way too long.

I've been cycling a lot lately... and rollerblading, too, now that spring has arrived. I cycled close to 20 miles a few weeks ago in a city bike race, and it was a blast.

I'm about to get into gardening now - I've always been into plants and gardening and landscaping, but I haven't had a garden to work with in years. I'm moving to a place tomorrow that has one, though, so I'm really looking forward to that! Gonna grow myself a bunch of herbs, as well as tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers.

A few friends and I have been in talks about playing in a band together, but with the weather warming up and all that, we haven't been motivated to sit inside and play.

And like Tijs, since my job is also my hobby, I do a lot with English in my free time. I research and discuss the language and teaching methods constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I've been cycling a lot lately... and rollerblading, too, now that spring has arrived. I cycled close to 20 miles a few weeks ago in a city bike race, and it was a blast.

I'm about to get into gardening now - I've always been into plants and gardening and landscaping, but I haven't had a garden to work with in years. I'm moving to a place tomorrow that has one, though, so I'm really looking forward to that! Gonna grow myself a bunch of herbs, as well as tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers.

A few friends and I have been in talks about playing in a band together, but with the weather warming up and all that, we haven't been motivated to sit inside and play.

And like Tijs, since my job is also my hobby, I do a lot with English in my free time. I research and discuss the language and teaching methods constantly.
    I started gardening 2 years ago. I don't have a garden per se but I have a huge balcony. Tomatoes grow really good if you have enough sun. And small tomatoes don't require that much... This year I'm trying to grow eggplants.

All the Beautiful Things you do

Respect my authoritah !

I'm replying to this just to let T-Six-mille-cinq that I've started, and am enjoying book 2 of the fall of the Malazan Empire. Though I don't count the time it takes to commute as 'free-time'.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-6005 View Post
    I do no be following, fortune prick me if I do no.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskygrin View Post
    Beautiful indeed.
    *dashes a tear*
    I thought one of your favorite things to do in your free time was post on the BBS and then either delete or edit the posts and leave them blank?

Also, how much time is it going to take for you to prove that I'm right?

I know this sounds really boring but i really love taking walks. I'm currently training for a local charity walk, I have to walk 25 km to collect money for cancer research. Before you tell me to get off my high horse, my parents signed me up for it.
    I got my propaganda
    I got revisionism
    I got my violence
    In hi-def ultra-realism
    All a part of this great nation
    I got my fist
    I got my plan
    I got survivalism

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyquiiinn View Post
    I started gardening 2 years ago. I don't have a garden per se but I have a huge balcony. Tomatoes grow really good if you have enough sun. And small tomatoes don't require that much... This year I'm trying to grow eggplants.
    I just moved in on Saturday... turns out my garden faces North I'm gonna try to grow some lettuce, spinach, carrots, potatoes, and/or mint... won't be able to grow all that, but I'll try a few. Let me know how your eggplant goes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman View Post
    I'm replying to this just to let T-Six-mille-cinq that I've started, and am enjoying book 2 of the fall of the Malazan Empire. Though I don't count the time it takes to commute as 'free-time'.
    Holy shit that took you long enough. I really think it's the best fantasy book series I've read. But it's 10 books long... and each book takes almost a third of the book to really get into and keep up with who is whom and what they're doing. Once it works, though, it's amazing. Kind of makes me want to re-read the series. Perhaps sometime when I have three months of free time.
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.