Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA) comes out as gay

Default Jason Collins (NBA) comes out as gay

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reactio...200829224.html

A professional, mainstream athlete has come out as gay. Athletes are one of the more homophobic groups out there. And African-Americans are generally more homophobic than other races. I would think gay marriage would be the law of the land before an NBA players comes out as gay. It's interesting how as progress continues, there are so many different barriers that have to be broken down before true acceptance is reached, and it all happens in gradual steps. Jason Collins will probably be viewed in the same light as Jackie Robinson someday.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

cool .
    I wrote a four word letter.

Don't be too quick to think that true accpetence is just around the corner....it isn't. It may be mainstreamed into the news more, but more accepted? Not a fucking chance. I'd be willing to bet that damn near 100% of the parents learning their child was gay were hugely disappointed and upset. One gay black athlete won't change shit.

I'm not naïve enough to believe things will change over night, but a step in the right direction is a step in the right direction, and there have been a lot of steps in the right direction recently.

What Limbaugh is saying here is ridiculous. He's basically says he doesn't like the fact that an openly gay guy is simply playing professional basketball, and then he's acting like he's being unjustly pressured to think otherwise. WOW.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...ers_in_america

"Folks, I grew up in a family where people's sexual orientation, preferences, whatever, weren't even discussed. Why can't everybody just put your sexual preferences on Facebook and call it a day? What do we need to stop everything and have a national day of celebration, or mourning (depending on your point of view), or recognition or whatever about this? This tolerance, it only goes one way. So Person X of some national stature announces his sexual orientation as gay, and applause!

It's a great day for America. We're really taking giant leaps ahead. If anybody says, "You know, I'm not big on that," it's, "You bigot! You racist! You extremist. You homophobe." There is no tolerance at all here. Not only do these people have to publicly announce it, but everybody else has to applaud and accept it. It was my point the other day about how it's only us conservatives who are "divisive." You know, I'm one of the most loving, unifying, want-everybody-to-do-well, like-everybody, hope-everybody-has-a-great-life kind of guy you'll ever run into." - Rush Limbaugh
    Not only is it ridiculous overall, but just as a side note: If Collins were to put his sexual preference in his Facebook, he'd still be revealing his sexual preference anyway. So wtf is the difference?!
    Last edited by bighead384; 04-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.

So, Rush is being oppressed and persecuted huh? cute.

So actually, my first thought when this happened was that this would probably reignite a huuuge debate about whether homosexuality was genetic. The reason being that Jason Collins is an identical twin, and his brother, Jarron, is straight by all accounts. I'm actually rather relieved not to have heard this debate. The fact that a pro athlete playing an all-male team sport has come out is a pretty damn important milestone, and it's rightly the bigger topic.

The thing about genetics and twins IS interesting, but there is a lot of complexity involved (embryonic mutations, polygenic inheritance, gene expression differences). Studies show that twins have an increased likelihood of having the same orientation (yes, Tegan and Sara come to mind), but there have been plenty of instances in which that hasn't been the case.

It's weird that that's the first thing I thought of, but I remember the Collins twins from way back in their Stanford days and I haven't thought much about them since, so my immediate association with Jason Collins is "twin." I figured it wouldn't be long before a pro male team-sport athlete would come out, but still, I'm glad it's happened now.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 05-01-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Studies show that twins have an increased likelihood of having the same orientation (yes, Tegan and Sara come to mind), but there have been plenty of instances in which that hasn't been the case.
    That's kind of interesting, as it can validate the idea of homosexuality being influenced by genetics without even proving it. But I'm sure that won't appear on Conservapedia any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    So actually, my first thought when this happened was that this would probably reignite a huuuge debate about whether homosexuality was genetic. The reason being that Jason Collins is an identical twin, and his brother, Jarron, is straight by all accounts. I'm actually rather relieved not to have heard this debate. The fact that a pro athlete playing an all-male team sport has come out is a pretty damn important milestone, and it's rightly the bigger topic.

The thing about genetics and twins IS interesting, but there is a lot of complexity involved (embryonic mutations, polygenic inheritance, gene expression differences). Studies show that twins have an increased likelihood of having the same orientation (yes, Tegan and Sara come to mind), but there have been plenty of instances in which that hasn't been the case.

It's weird that that's the first thing I thought of, but I remember the Collins twins from way back in their Stanford days and I haven't thought much about them since, so my immediate association with Jason Collins is "twin." I figured it wouldn't be long before a pro male team-sport athlete would come out, but still, I'm glad it's happened now.
    I despise the argument that homosexuality is genetic. Genetic code creates several possibilities (ex: Eyes -green, blue, brown, hazel.) Sexuality is too much of a spectrum. Personally, my sexuality is not either/or. It's very hard to explain, but I'm somewhere between bi and gay. What's the gene for that? It is impossible for sexuality to be genetic. I like the thoughts in this article: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/genevei...being-genetic/ I do believe it is partially biological. I think it's a combination of biology and one's environment.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this. Pro sports need openly gay players, since pro sports are breeding grounds for homophobic talk and behavior. And yes, we are on our way to acceptance. Sure, our parents' generation is still disappointed about finding out their kids are gay... but people who are having kids NOW - people in their 20s and early 30s - are open to it (the majority - around 61%). And I do know a fair number of non-straight people whose parents didn't give a shit and were just like alright, coo. I think roughly 40% of gay people I know have parents who weren't fazed at all.
    Last edited by Llamas; 05-03-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/reactio...200829224.html

Athletes are one of the more homophobic groups out there. And African-Americans are generally more homophobic than other races.
    What are your sources for these generalisations?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.