Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jason Collins (NBA) comes out as gay

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Miss_1565 View Post
    Or what? Or you'll leave as soon as someone returns your rudeness and delete all your posts? I'm so scared.

How tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    I don't grab tits. I have tits thrust upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    I despise the argument that homosexuality is genetic. Genetic code creates several possibilities (ex: Eyes -green, blue, brown, hazel.) Sexuality is too much of a spectrum. Personally, my sexuality is not either/or. It's very hard to explain, but I'm somewhere between bi and gay. What's the gene for that? It is impossible for sexuality to be genetic. I like the thoughts in this article: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/genevei...being-genetic/ I do believe it is partially biological. I think it's a combination of biology and one's environment.
    Well, if it's partly biological, then it is genetic. "Genetic" doesn't mean that it can be predicted with a Punnett square; there are probably lots of complex, co-acting genes, and many of them just have to do with hormone production, which as you say is also influenced by environmental factors. Other types of spectral traits have been proven to be genetic, even if the genetics are poorly understood.

That link was a blog that links to another blog that cites an article that allegedly debunks a study, so it seemed a little far removed to me. But the study it referred to was the same one where I got the info about twins having a higher likelihood of both being gay. Unfortunately, I've only been able to read the abstract, so I can't confirm or deny the allegation of "volunteer bias." Also, the first bullet point on that blog is just plain wrong. Have they ever heard of recessive alleles? Or have they heard of the fact that people with homosexual tendencies have had plenty of heterosexual sex throughout history due to societal pressure?

But then I realized that I don't care. Like I said, I'm happy that the conversation has progressed beyond the point where people yell "OMG U CANT BE BORN GAY ITZ A CHOICE!" Caring about the extent to which homosexuality is biological only serves to imply that people should "control" it if it isn't. Bottom line is that we shouldn't police or judge others' sexuality, no matter how they arrived at it. I only care about it in the sense that I'm a science geek and it's rather interesting.
    Last edited by XYlophonetreeZ; 05-03-2013 at 01:22 PM.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/20...jason-collins/

This is a bunch of crap that allows anti-gay people to undermine Collins, which they'd already like to be doing anyway, but now they have the perfect chance to do it and not seem like a dick.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

You can't really call someone when they're dead.

Veterans die in the states all the time, even decorated ones. I have seen this rhetoric on Facebook and it annoys me that people feel like they are comparable. I don't think my family started freaking about how Bush didn't call them when my cousin (who suffered from PTSD from his two tours and had been triggered) was shot and killed, while unarmed, by police in 2008.

Dude was an enlisted sniper with a bunch of confirmed kills. He wasn't high ranking or a guy from Seal Team 6 involved in the killing of this nation's most hated individual/international symbol for evil.
    Last edited by _Lost_; 05-05-2013 at 12:43 PM.