Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Redskin has always been about racial characteristics.
    Stupidly enough, I'd never thought about it that way. I'd always understood it as what Mike said:

Quote Originally Posted by coke_a_holic View Post
    My understanding is that the Redskins are named after the redskin warriors, who were the fierce natives who killed a bunch of white dudes.
    The simplicity of it being skin color would change my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

I love how people who get upset about this stuff and don't want to change it always just want to say 'it's just a name'. Okay, then what's the problem with changing it?

This applies to many, many situations, aggravates me every time.
    I wrote a four word letter.

The issue is that calling a Native American a redskin is basically the equivalent of calling an African American a nigger. It's not about being overly PC and overly sensitive, it's literally just about not blatantly using a racial slur as a franchise name. This isn't "well they referred to him in the paper as African American WHY DID THEY HAVE TO POINT THAT OUT?!", it's "they called him a nigger".

Also, the comparisons to teams like the Vikings is completely inaccurate and makes no sense. Historically, the name Viking came from Nordics calling themselves Vikings and was seen as a word that promoted their strength and legacy. Redskins is a racial slur developed by white European settlers to disparage and degrade people they thought were savages and evil. Massive fucking difference.

I know that the "Cleveland Kikes" and "The Detroit Darkies" thing gets overused, but it is the same thing- using a racial caricature of any other race would never be acceptable and for good reason.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

It is a racial slur I suppose to some small degree. Hardly worth changing a name over. I never hear anyone ever use "redskin" in the same way as the N word that's for damn sure so equating the two is bullshit. Anyway, as long as they don't sober up they may never notice. Until then it's our little secret.

Hey...what happend to the indian who drank too much tea?
    woke up in his teepea

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    It is a racial slur I suppose to some small degree. Hardly worth changing a name over. I never hear anyone ever use "redskin" in the same way as the N word that's for damn sure so equating the two is bullshit.
    You're such a useless honkey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.

Useless? Come on...I must have some redeeming qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    Useless? Come on...I must have some redeeming qualities.
    Of course you do. Like.. um.. well.. let's see... eh... um. hmm... Here's one... Your name starts with a M. I like M's. Oh and... um.. You can be funny at times.... and you're not a complete asshole towards me all the time... you're kinda decent towards most of the time..
    Last edited by Tiny Vessels; 05-09-2013 at 08:26 AM.

1 members appreciate this post.

Super, only TV sticks up for me. I'm fucked. Ohhh, I mean thanks for the kind words.

Topic at hand...Redskins may be a race oriented comment but tough shit, statute of limitations has kicked in and it stays. There, I've solved another crisis. Feel free to admire my ways...thank me later.

The Blackhawks probably have the coolest name and logo in professional sports.
    I wrote a four word letter.