Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New song from Black Flag

Default New song from Black Flag

The name of the new song from Black Flag is "Down in the Dirt"! It's available as a free download here, you have to enter your e-mail address first.

However, it's also available on YouTube. Here it is:
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

I really like Ron Reyes as a singer, but dammit, this is bad.

I mean, I like their later metal-ish stuff, but this? This is -- I don't know -- something else. Something else bad.

I've seen the live videos of Flag and... This one, for example. God, how awesome was it to see Keith sing songs like "My War" and "Rise Above" and I couldn't wish more to see them live and I'm sure the Black Flag reunion is going to be good to hear the oldies, have you guys seen Ron sing Black Flag with Greg Ginn on his 50th birthday? God, he's still got it! But after this new song... I really don't have much hope for any good material, they should do what Flag are doing and focus on a tour, although considering how good Off! is, I'm sure Keith Morris could pull off a great album with Dez, Chuck, Bill and Stephen.

But you know what Black Flag-related event I would like to see the most? I'd like to see any Black Flag singer -- whether it be Morris, Reyes, Cadena or Rollins -- take Black Fag up on their offer to dress up in drag and get up on stage to sing with them, how awesome would that be? Henry didn't seem to like the idea, apparently Reyes said he'd do it if they ever played around Vancouver, where he lives, and I don't know about Keith and Dez, but, fuck, that would be awesome. I'm not usually fond of cover/tribute bands, but Black Fag truly is the most "absolutely fabous" tribute band in the world.

Having sad that, I'd easily see either Flag or Black Flag if they ever played near me, which is pretty much near to impossible, anyway. I'd still prefer to see Flag, though.
    Last edited by Gustavo; 05-03-2013 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
    I really like Ron Reyes as a singer, but dammit, this is bad.
    I agree, Gustavo. "Down in the Dirt" is not as good as their 70s or 80s stuff.
    The founder of The Offspring Wikia, and looking for someone to help out, find out why at this thread.

thanks for posting it though but yeah the song is not good

The only thing that sounds even remotely good is the main riff. It could have been a somewhat passable song, if it was faster, with different drum beat. Also, the song sounds amateur-ish, unlike something that would be expected from people who had decades of musical experience behind them.

Production quality is worse than it should be. I mean come on, I get that they were trying to sound DIY and all (they probably thought it was good for their "underground cred"), but nowadays you can record stuff by yourself that still sounds 25 times better than this. I don't think in the 80's the main goal was to sound rough, they simply sounded that way because they had no better equipment available to them at the time. Today you can make better sounding recordings at your own home for fuck's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    Production quality is worse than it should be. I mean come on, I get that they were trying to sound DIY and all (they probably thought it was good for their "underground cred"), but nowadays you can record stuff by yourself that still sounds 25 times better than this. I don't think in the 80's the main goal was to sound rough, they simply sounded that way because they had no better equipment available to them at the time. Today you can make better sounding recordings at your own home for fuck's sake.
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. I mean, there's no reason why they can't use today's technology. Have you ever heard the Rollins Band album "Rise Above: 24 Black Flag songs to benefit the West Memphis Three"? I like some of those versions better than the original ones!

The guitar is awesome and the vocals are good.

But the drum and bass lines are played way too slow and don't even seem to be in sync with the rest of the band. They're playing an entirely different tempo for some reason.
    "I'll die before I surrender, Tim".

New Black Flag song. A lot better than the first one, in my opinion. I still think the recording quality and the mastering could be a little bit better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post

New Black Flag song. A lot better than the first one, in my opinion. I still think the recording quality and the mastering could be a little bit better, though.
    Yeah, I think this new song is better than "Down in the Dirt" too.

Black Flag just announced that their new album is called "What The..." and it comes out on November 5th.

http://www.punknews.org/article/5337...lease-what-the