Thread: I think it's absolutely fucking ridiculous when social media sites link accounts

Default I think it's absolutely fucking ridiculous when social media sites link accounts

I have a feeling that if a poll were taken, an extremely high percentage of people would dislike the idea of linking an email account with Youtube or any other similar combination. Quite simply: people value avoiding any risk to their privacy much more than whatever slight convenience linking accounts will provide.

It's almost as if these social media companies know that there is almost unanimous dissatisfaction on the idea of linking accounts, but they figure most of those people won't be upset enough to really do anything about it. Meanwhile, by linking various social media accounts, they do better business by forcing people that may really only use one social media site often to have another web presence on another social media site.

Furthermore, I've noticed that such social media sites are quite pushy about making you link the accounts, with constant prompts at the log-in screen. On the other hand, it is rather difficult to disconnect the accounts once they've been linked. Perhaps not extremely difficult, but it's usually hidden deep enough in your preferences that many people wouldn't just stumble upon it.

It's just annoying that these companies seem to have zeroed in on a way to get what they want by pissing people off to a considerable extent, but not enough to create popular outrage.

This guy puts the concerns of many people simply and accurately.
    Last edited by bighead384; 05-06-2013 at 01:23 PM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I know I should maybe care about this stuff, but I don't at all. I link sync with my Facebook as often as I can, saves me some trouble.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    I know I should maybe care about this stuff, but I don't at all. I link sync with my Facebook as often as I can, saves me some trouble.
    See, my thing is that: Sure it's a little bit more convenient to just click the "log-in with Facebook" button, but no one was complaining before there was this big movement to link every social media website possible. Furthermore, I hate how many email sites changed the format so that you have to have a "profile" and not just an email account.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

I dislike this behaviour too. Although I can see it being convenient for both the constructors of the web pages and those who do not mind sharing all of their information everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijs View Post
    Sometimes I love Jojan <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiralanal View Post
    Jojan is not ignorant. He is the king. You are the enemy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PilZ-E View Post
    I appreciate Jojan.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
    Jojan you are my favorite!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bipolar Bear View Post
    Jojan fucking owns!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    jojan's right boob = hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by Krojd View Post
    Jojan, you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by yarock View Post
    Jojan fr den Sieg.
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    I like Jojan's signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Jojan for President!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I actually think Jojan is pretty funny in his own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJakes84 View Post
    Jojan's signature is the longest and most beloved. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by KickHimWhenHe'sDown View Post
    Maybe because it came from Jojan, and Jojan rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by "Melyssa K" Kennedy View Post
    Jojan is right
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ignition- View Post
    Jojans planer lter bra.

I think it's absolutely fucking ridiculous when people spout hyperbolic vitriol.

I think account linking is mildly annoying.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

I never used gmail but it is pretty annoying you can't sign into youtube with your username anymore if you make a new account

It used to mildly annoy me; but it really doesn't matter.

The dude in the video is probably mad he can't call people "fags" without others knowing who he is. Such a tragic loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gabel
    Adrenaline carried one last thought to fruition.
    Let this be the end.
    Let this be the last song.
    Let this be the end.
    Let all be forgiven.