Quote Originally Posted by Britpunk View Post
Clearly, but the question itself referred to 'British Accent' as if that were a single, definable entity - I was just pointing out that it isn't, so asking if non-english speakers should use it or not requires an awareness of the subtleties at play.

Also, speaking perfectly 'standard english' is no guarantee of being understood. I was once in a hotel lift in Los Angeles and some big brash 'Texan' (he may not have been Texan, but his pristine white suit and cowboy hat made me think Texan - isn't stereotyping fun!) asked me what floor I wanted - I replied 'The fourth, please' in my normal vaguely posh-sounding voice (which is somewhere between RP and estuary), and he couldn't for the life of him understand what I said. Another time my brother was in Reno, NV and ordered breakfast at some ihop or somewhere and his accent made the waitress ask 'Are you Belgian?' 'No, I'm English' 'Wow! I've never met anyone from Belgium before!'
You were pointing out the obvious and clarifying nothing. You inferred ignorance where there was none, and decided to enlighten people on the topic of dialects. Of course RaL knows there's more than one accent in England and America. Don't take it too harshly though, I got to know more about RP, which at least is one net benefit.

Llamas, I suppose cause I would've liked to keep my accent. Though its hardly heartbreaking, Anglophones typically are better at trying to understand other accents, presumably because of the sheer variety of English speakers. Though if we're going by anecdotal evidence alone, thats apparently not true if you are British and in the American sothwest.

Britpunk, did your brother order waffles?