Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Keeping your accent when speaking English

God damn Saussurians, really. What's up with those guys anyway?
    Thibault's New Music Site!
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairman
    Those wool-headed buffoons have more pride than a Shaido with one goat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Hey Bri, if it makes you feel any better, your literal expertise in this subject is not entirely unapparent to everyone reading this thread.
    Haha, thanks The BBS is a weird place, though. There are still plenty of people here who feel a need to start an argument with someone for no reason. I like to think I grew out of that, but I still get a bit defensive here when it happens. Probably because this site is very strongly connected with my defensive/argumentative days :P
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk

Quote Originally Posted by RageAndLov View Post
    People who do not speak English as a native language tend to have an accent, but some may be so fluent in English that they manage to speak in a certain accent like British or General American. Some may choose to speak with an "approved" accent, others might keep their native one.

I feel like I am being fake if I choose to speak with a British accent (which would be the most natural accent for me to adopt since I've been taught BE in school). I know how to do it, but I choose to speak with my native accent because that seems to me more real.

I find it charming when others speak perfect English, but with their own accent. An example is Christoph Walz, which is very fluent in English, but has his distinct Austrian accent. I'm sure you have seen him in Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained, but here is an interview with him.

So my question to you, especially to you who are native speakers of English, what do you think of people keeping their non-English accent? Should they do it, or should they adopt a native English accent?
    I have heard very few (ok none) people that weren't native speakers of English actually pull off a proper accent... actors/singers aside...

I don't think anyone can actually adopt a native English accent, with the exception of proffesionals mentioned above, and they don't adopt it naturally eaither, they are simply able to fake it, with an effort

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygene View Post
    I have heard very few (ok none) people that weren't native speakers of English actually pull off a proper accent... actors/singers aside...

I don't think anyone can actually adopt a native English accent, with the exception of proffesionals mentioned above, and they don't adopt it naturally eaither, they are simply able to fake it, with an effort
    Untrue. I've met probably a dozen people who I actually had to ask where they were from because they very well could've been British/American. Most of these people either have spent a few months living in one of the two countries and/or study/studied English in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

I do not smoke and do not do drugs

I just do bumpin in my trunk