Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberal Bullying

Default Liberal Bullying

http://offbeatempire.com/2012/10/liberal-bullying

Privilege-checking and semantics-scolding as internet sport.

Attn: The 1337
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

That article was painful to read because that author seemed to be too much of a pussy to actually highlight any examples of the comments that she (unless "Ariel" is Hispanic or Jewish) was ranting against. The result was that instead of a rant against specifically liberal dickish comments, it appeared to just be a rant against dickishness on the Internet in general, which happened to casually mention that its perpetrators were liberal a few times. Well, no shit, she's writing for a liberal blog, so apart from a few random trolls, of course she's going to get mostly liberal comments. She probably shouldn't be blogging if she's just gonna get butthurt that they don't all agree with her. It sounds to me like the commenters are just trying to take it to a more meaningful level of discussion than trivial unity among liberals in badmouthing conservatives.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    That article was painful to read because that author seemed to be too much of a pussy to actually highlight any examples of the comments that she (unless "Ariel" is Hispanic or Jewish) was ranting against.
    That's because it sets people like you up to make excuses for the comments.

Which I guess, an article of this nature generally should do. But since I know what the writer is saying is true and actually happens, fuck it. lol.

How can I do that when I don't even know what comments I'm making excuses for?

The author gave me an opening to make excuses for what the article sounds like it's talking about. Just calling out a few douchey comments could have prevented me from doing so, if they were really as bad as she says. It really sounds like she lives in some fantasy world where all liberals are supposed to get along at all costs just because they're liberals.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    How can I do that when I don't even know what comments I'm making excuses for?
    Well, if I remember correctly, you make comments like the ones focused on in the article, and have defended people who do things like this. So, you'd probably just make excuses for the comments.

Liberal elites are desirous that they be in situations where they can put others down based on their moral philosophy.

The article is about liberals one-upping other liberals. I don't recall ever doing that. I've mainly argued against some of Moto's, Mario's, and your views that I wouldn't call liberal at all. I've argued because my views differ. Isn't that what people are supposed to do? And yeah, I know you have some areas where you're more progressive, but I honestly don't recall attacking you for any of those.

And you can probably already guess that I think this, but trying to instigate the "1337" for this is just so pathetic. And a little bit ironic for a thread that includes the word "bullying" in the title.

On a side note, I have been a little bit of a bully in the past on this forum, and I'm not proud of those posts. I think they were mainly non-political, and I haven't really been that way in a few years, I think.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

"DIE!!!!!"

"WRONG! HOOOONK!"

So the gist of this article is that people on the internet can be assholes and use shitty arguing techniques? Yep.

It's worth mentioning that I've been trying to be... I'm not sure better person is the right word. I've been trying to argue better, the whole 'never mistake ignorance for malice' kinda thing in particular. I think a lot of time people are just really ignorant about what they're saying and don't mean to offend people. On the other hand, I think a lot of people are just being malicious or even a combination of both.

Someone of Facebook posted this image:

I am sure he knows it's racist, but I don't think he grasps exactly how fucked up it is. I tried to explain why it's so fucked up, but he basically just said 'it's funny 'cause I hate rap!' and 'I'm not racists cause it's just a joke, plus I'm friends with all kinds of people!' I eventually just gave up, because it was pretty clear I wouldn't be convincing him of anything.
    Last edited by WebDudette; 06-01-2013 at 03:55 PM.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Liberal elites are desirous that they be in situations where they can put others down based on their moral philosophy.
    What is your obsession with 'liberals'? All kinds of people are like that; libertarians, conservatives, religious people, people do that shit all the time when it comes to video games and music, everyone wants to put others down because of what they believe.

I sure would love any kind of example in this article.

It looks to me like the situation I was involved in is the type of thing she is talking about. I called the kid out publicly on his Facebook status, because guess what, I wanted others who saw the picture or liked it or whatever to know why it is so fucked up too. I went into the semantics of the image and I am sure he thought I was being self-righteous. Am I the type of person she is talking about?

On the other hand I saw a thread derailed because people were arguing over whether or not it is acceptable to call a women a female.

I dunno, as a liberal, I do get a pretty huge boner whenever I get a chance to talk down to someone. Especially when I get to repeat some talking point I heard on NPR or something. Maybe OP is on to something.
    "I'm sorry
    For all the things that I never did
    For all the places I never was
    For all the people I never stopped
    But there was nothing I could do...
    "