Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Liberal Bullying

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,450


    Default

    I spent a lot of time at that church, and it wasn't like Jesus Camp or anything, but I think it really defined who I am now.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,896


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Self-righteous bullying isn't the only kind. Conservatives are notorious for name-calling, safety-in-numbers bullying. Just read the comments section on pretty much any Yahoo news article.
    Good point. I tend to forget about that type of thing because it's so pathetic it doesn't even register with me.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebDudette View Post
    In retrospect, that was a really fucked up thing to do to children.
    Religion usually is. I'm still a little bitter about the religious primary school I went to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Llamas View Post
    It's not impossible, but it is difficult to be stupid/ignorant and arrogant
    I disagree. Arrogance is having an exaggerated sense of your own worth, not simply having a high opinion of yourself. I think stupidity/ignorance go together with arrogance quite well.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,366


    Default

    I'm almost NEVER made happy or satisfied by treating others badly. There might be some situations in which I resent a person enough that I gain satisfaction by putting them and their view down. But this is not a "main source" of satisfaction for me. I generally don't seek it. To try to be honest about my true character, I'd admit there may be other instances where I find humor in treating someone else this way and so I'm drawn to it. But I would say that this is rare, and I always have some remorse after doing so.

    On the contrary, some people seem to be living lives in which putting others down is a main source of satisfaction for them. I think they are made angry by certain views and behaviors, and they only way they can express this anger is by putting someone else down who exemplifies the view that bothers them.

    I've noticed that these people tend to focus on whether or not their anger or frustration is justified in each individual case. This is undoubtedly something worth considering, but when a person does this enough, I can't help but wonder why they are drawn towards putting others down for their views more often than others.

    For me, there are two questions: 1) Is it justifiable to be angry or upset enough by a person based on their views or actions? 2) What will I gain from confronting this person?

    When the second question is ignored, I tend to have questions about the person's motivation. By confronting others more often than me, it seems to suggest that you are a more moral being than me. I'm not sure if that's always true, but I feel like it often is. I feel as though there is a social incentive for this behavior, although the person doing the confronting would like everyone to believe that it is a purely moral act.

    I find it annoying to be lectured about morals by someone who is routinely caving to a social incentive, or perhaps also a selfish incentive in which they feel better about themselves by doing this, and are actually much less motivated by the big picture and morality of the situation.
    Last edited by bighead384; 06-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,450


    Default

    What do you perceive as an intentional put down and what do you perceive as a moral compromise?

    Every time my co-workers say something racist, misogynist, or homophobic and I don't say anything, I'm making a moral compromise. If I do say something, I expect they'll react in a way you described and assume I am attacking them personally and just trying to look superior.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,896


    Default

    Bighead, I don't wish to overtly agree or disagree with anything you're currently saying. I do, however, wish to point out that we are social animals. We have evolved to behave certain ways within groups. Why do you act as if doing things for a "social incentive" is somehow bad? Somehow less moral than some other reason? Morality itself is a construct of society, meaning it only exists because we are social animals. The only reason we know right from wrong, or even have a concept of "right" and "wrong", is because we are social animals. The vast majority of what we do, all of us, every day, is for some kind of social incentive. How can you devalue that? It's given us everything.

    Ultimately it really all comes down to sex. Everything, ever. It's the only meaning of life that has any evidence. And it has overwhelming evidence. All living things are driven to reproduce. Natural selection favors the fittest and evolution occurs. Humans, like many animals, evolved to be social creatures because it granted an evolutionary advantage. To be social animals and receive these evolutionary advantages requires certain behaviors. A basic morality. Thou shall not kill, and so on. It's all just to propagate the species. Now, within the species, we all want to pass on our individual genes. And we want to give our offspring the best chance of survival and success by breeding with the best mate we can. Most people don't think of it this way. We just know we really want to fuck the cute girl working at Starbucks, or whatever. And we might think this is only one small aspect of our lives. But we'd be wrong. Everything we do is designed to increase the odds of fucking the hot girl at Starbucks. We groom ourselves to look physically appealing, which suggests we have good genes and are worthy of reproducing with. We work hard to attain wealth and status, proving we can provide for our offspring and, again, indicating good genes. We develop talents and skills, art, comedy, music....all the wonders of the world. All to impress, and ultimately fuck, the hot girl at Starbucks. This is why we're here and what we're here to do. Sex is the highest, and only true, social incentive and any morality you can conceive of only exists to get us all laid in whatever way best benefits us as a species. We don't have to be aware of it. You don't have to agree with it. This simply is what is happening.

    So when you find yourself worrying that someone might be putting someone else down on the internet for what you think might be the wrong reasons just relax and remember this simple tenet; we're all just doing it to get our dicks wet.

    Disclaimer: This post was written entirely from a male perspective as a stylistic choice and in no way was meant to discriminate against or otherwise offend women. Successfully passing on our genes and propagating the species is the motivating factor for both genders equally. And please remember this manifests as a desire to have sex, so homosexuals or those who actively choose not to have children should not be left out. If you've ever felt the desire to fuck anything at all you're still proving the point.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,366


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    So when you find yourself worrying that someone might be putting someone else down on the internet for what you think might be the wrong reasons just relax and remember this simple tenet; we're all just doing it to get our dicks wet.
    I was thinking about a friend who gets girls because he's an asshole. He asshole behavior is causing problems in other areas of his life, but because he's fixated on sex, he has no motivation to change. And since he isn't a very perceptive guy, it seems unlikely that he will make a value judgement to stop acting like an asshole in order to improve other areas of his life.

    To me, that's something to worry about. Although perhaps you mean "don't worry" in the sense that I should be able to understand what's going on and see that it's basically just a game.

    Come to think about it, a lot of the behaviors that are associated with the manliness that attracts women are really obnoxious in a social setting, and downright messed up when taken to extremes.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,106


    Default

    Some of what PIB stated may be true. But to say that the entire reason for every action of a mans life is to impress some some stupid bitch, this theory is fucking wacko. This may be true for moments or periods of your life...but certainly not exclusively throughout your existence. Some people actually have the ability of putting things into perspective. You may not realize or understand it, but some of us are driven by more than simply fucking the next little vaj that walks by. Some of us are driven by personal satisfaction of creating a life instead simply stumbling through life like a lost pecker in tampon factory. In fact for me it's quite the opposite...women have to impress me if they'd like a shot.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,896


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    Although perhaps you mean "don't worry" in the sense that I should be able to understand what's going on and see that it's basically just a game.
    Something like that, yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by MOTO13 View Post
    You may not realize or understand it, but some of us are driven by more than simply fucking the next little vaj that walks by.
    You may not realize or understand it, but that's often a delusion. We have far, far less free will than we'd like to think. Our very conciousness, the essence of what and who we think we are, hell even the ability to think and perceive ourselves and form notions of what and who we are...all these things evolved through natural selection. They evolved because they helped us pass on our genes. We are organic machines and we have programmed ourselves to cover the planet with our progeny while simultaneously believing that there is more going on. That there is more to life. That we make actual decisions that actually fucking matter. Shit, in reality, you don't even get to decide what you want for breakfast. You're just a slave to your component chemicals, we all are. You're an elaborate DNA puppet who actually thinks he's a real boy! But you won't accept that. You won't accept it because doing so would be depressing, and depression is bad for procreation. You won't accept it because your DNA doesn't want you to accept it.

    The only real decision you can make right now would be to kill yourself. Surely your DNA doesn't want that, right? Except, you'd be removing problematic genes from the pool, thereby even your ultimate act of wilful self-assertion would ultimately serve the all-powerful Evolution God. You just can't escape it.

    To address your post more directly though, I know you think you are doing things for all manner of reasons unrelated to sex. I know you do things for personal satisfaction. The point is, why do things give you personal satisfaction? If you think about it, I'm sure you'll start to see that everything you find personally satisfying can in some way be traced to an evolutionary advantage either for you or the species as a whole. Even something as wholly destructive as substance abuse. We abuse substances for pleasure. The ability to receive pleasure is possibly the most important evolutionary advantage I can think of since it directly makes people want to fuck. Substance abuse could far more accurately be called pleasure abuse, because what you're actually doing is abusing your own pleasure receptors. So while doing drugs is not helpful at all, the fact that we like to do drugs is a side effect of a beneficial evolutionary trait.

    Oh, and moto, your angry, misogynistic affectations are not as entertaining as you might think. You've clearly got a brain, why do you feel the need to present yourself like some sort of trash who doesn't know any better? I've been wondering that for a while.

    Also, in case anyone actually doesn't already get this, I like to exaggerate when I make arguments, use hyperbole, extend things to extreme levels and just generally throw ideas around. I enjoy this and hope to provoke discussion. I'm rarely 100% behind what I'm saying. It's an open invitation to change my mind. Because that's what makes forums fun. And it's why I actually enjoy people like moto who can be relied upon to disagree pretty regularly, although it would be better without the lame angry misogynist act.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •