Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Liberal Bullying

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,878


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paint_It_Black View Post
    Bullying was part of what made this place great.
    This is so true, but I think spending so much time in an environment where that stuff was encouraged was kind of bad for me. I'm sure if I reread the punkangel ghetto thread or the Katrina sex thread, I'd still laugh my ass off, but I think I've become more mean-spirited in general since I began hanging out here. This place used to be a fun escape for the moment, but it's kind of turned me into a cunt. Maybe liberal blogs turn some people into cunts too. Maybe the Internet just turns people into cunts. So while the premise of this thread probably has some truth to it, I still can't for the life of me see any evidence that liberals bully any more than anyone else.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    Honestly, this forum has probably shaped me so much as a person, for better and for worse. I think about it sometimes, and it's fucking weird.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    4,365


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    This is so true, but I think spending so much time in an environment where that stuff was encouraged was kind of bad for me. I'm sure if I reread the punkangel ghetto thread or the Katrina sex thread, I'd still laugh my ass off, but I think I've become more mean-spirited in general since I began hanging out here. This place used to be a fun escape for the moment, but it's kind of turned me into a cunt. Maybe liberal blogs turn some people into cunts too. Maybe the Internet just turns people into cunts.
    It's nice to see that you have some self-awareness of this, but I can't help but think that if I had suggested the same thing at any point (and I'm sure I probably have), it would have been shot down. Not necessarily regarding you in particular, but with any of the people I've criticized for things like this.

    My morals have led me to be very cautious about being mean-spirited.

    It seems like their is a social incentive to be a combination of mean-spirited + smart. So when people act this way, it seems to indicate that they are more concerned about this social incentive than the moral aspect of it. So if what I've proposed here is accurate, many of you are/were putting this social incentive before morality. Meanwhile, you're going out of your way to lecture me and others about right and wrong. Seems a bit phony.

    This mean-spirited behavior seems to be romanticized. An example of this would be John Malkovich. He's witty and articulate, and it's almost as if his behavior is an expression of the idea that "I'm so incredibly smart that it's led me to have much less patience than everyone else". And people romanticize this. Instead of being a soft-spoken intellectual nerd, you can be a badass John Malkovich type. It's almost like the easiest way for a nerd to be "cool" and assertive.

    With all this said, it's probably not normal for me to be fixated on this idea, but I get a lot of criticism in life so it's probably a reflection of my insecurities to be quite honest.
    Last edited by bighead384; 06-07-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    When they said "sit down", I stood up.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    So, you have no interest in replying to me or discussing this topic, huh?
    I wrote a four word letter.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,878


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighead384 View Post
    It's nice to see that you have some self-awareness of this, but I can't help but think that if I had suggested the same thing at any point (and I'm sure I probably have), it would have been shot down. Not necessarily regarding you in particular, but with any of the people I've criticized for things like this.

    This mean-spirited behavior seems to be romanticized. An example of this would be John Malkovich. He's witty and articulate, and it's almost as if his behavior is an expression of the idea that "I'm so incredibly smart that it's led me to have much less patience than everyone else". And people romanticize this. Instead of being a soft-spoken intellectual nerd, you can be a badass John Malkovich type. It's almost like the easiest way for a nerd to be "cool" and assertive.

    With all this said, it's probably not normal for me to be fixated on this idea, but I get a lot of criticism in life so it's probably a reflection of my insecurities to be quite honest.
    If being mean-spirited makes me John Malkovich, then I'm just gonna start bullying even more.

    OK, kidding. Mostly.

    Well, I was mainly talking about how it's affected me overall- IRL as well as this board. So yeah, I probably would have shot you down, but not because I would disagree that Internet culture has possibly affected me negatively- rather because you don't know anything about me in real life.

    Meanwhile, you're going out of your way to lecture me and others about right and wrong. Seems a bit phony.
    Wow, I really wasn't doing this at all. I was mainly criticizing the article that you posted, and, a bit, I was criticizing your continued obsession with the "1337."

    My posts were hardly lectures- they were disagreements. And they were no more about "right and wrong" than your average disagreement between two random people.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,891


    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    Maybe the Internet just turns people into cunts.
    That's the most enjoyable thing I've read in quite a while.

    Perhaps people are generally cunts and the internet just makes it obvious?

    Quote Originally Posted by XYlophonetreeZ View Post
    So while the premise of this thread probably has some truth to it, I still can't for the life of me see any evidence that liberals bully any more than anyone else.
    It always seems to me that you find more "liberals" amongst the ranks of the intelligent and well-educated. The intelligent and well-educated are going to produce the most successful bullies in a medium based primarily upon words. Put these two things together and I wouldn't be surprised at all to discover there are more liberal "bullies" online, or at least a disproportionate amount compared to the "real" world.

    I like intelligent people with a strong sense of humor. I don't particularly care if they are liberal or otherwise so long as they can back up their ideologies with well-reasoned arguments and, preferably, witty banter. A lot of what would be called "liberal bullying" I would call witty banter. The "victims" of this bullying can, quite often, simply avoid the game if they aren't enjoying it.

    True online bullying, the kind that makes little girls kill themselves because of Facebook harassment, is not likely to involve a disproportionate number of liberals, at least not in my opinion.

    Edit: I am aware that I romanticize the way this forum used to be. I don't believe that necessarily makes me wrong, however.
    Last edited by Paint_It_Black; 06-10-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Czech Republic
    Posts
    18,009


    Default

    Treez defended bighead longer than anyone else here... and here's bighead, going after him. Hahaha, brilliant.

    I'd agree that liberals have a greater tendency to be arrogant and condescending, simply because liberals tend to be better educated than conservatives... and arrogance goes along with high education. It's not impossible, but it is difficult to be stupid/ignorant and arrogant
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmak84 View Post
    I do not drink alcohol and coffee

    I do not smoke and do not do drugs

    I just do bumpin in my trunk

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    Some of the most self-righteous and arrogant people I have ever been in contact with are ultra conservatives and/or religious fundamentalists. I also think people misinterpret being argued with or being wrong with their opponent being arrogant or bullying. Remember how much Mel K. (sic) freaked out everytime someone asked her for a source or suggested she might be wrong? I have friends even, that get really worked up when there is any argument or disagreement. Everyone involved could be perfectly level headed and even enjoying themselves, but some people just feel... I don't know, threatened by discussions and arguments. Just because someone disagrees with you and thinks you're wrong does not necessarily mean they are attacking you personally or that anyone is upset.

    Of course there will always be people who want to deconstruct an argument because of semantics or grammar errors and people who are outright dicks and are impossible to argue with. I agree with the author that it's a shame that so many valuable conversations can be derailed by shitty nitpicking, personal attacks, and other stupid nonsense. I do not think there is an epidemic of intellectual liberals systematcally shutting down discussions or whatever and I'm not sure any one group is more or less responsible for something like that than any other one group.

    Finally, I don't think I owe it to the internet to be nice or to compromise. I can argue effectively and respectfully without being nice. I'm not required to view all arguments and opinions equally, some of them are shitty and should be dealt with accordingly.
    I wrote a four word letter.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Come on and raise up.
    Posts
    3,878


    Default

    Self-righteous bullying isn't the only kind. Conservatives are notorious for name-calling, safety-in-numbers bullying. Just read the comments section on pretty much any Yahoo news article.
    "LIVE OR DIE, MAN??"

    "DIE!!!!!"

    "WRONG! HOOOONK!"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Transmetropolitan
    Posts
    6,449


    Default

    When I was in grade school I went on a church trip with the 'Royal Rangers', it was basically a Boy Scouts ripoff. There was ax throwing, little wood car racing, table building, burgers in tortillas, and tug-o-wars, it was good stuff. Anyway, there was also like a crazy amount of indoctrination. I specifically remember walking towards the nightly service thing and hearing someone talk over the loud speaker and claim to be God. I was really young and it fucking terrified me, as a child I couldn't grasp what was going on and it was frightening. In retrospect, that was a really fucked up thing to do to children.
    I wrote a four word letter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •